Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AdamSmith

Deceased
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by AdamSmith

  1. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eppie_Lederer
  2. Likewise the Navy's new Littoral Combat Ship, the first -- very expensive, of course -- instance of which just recently out of Bath Iron Works has been plagued with problems.
  3. Oral even better
  4. In the offshore platform industry, where the subsea-platform part is typically constructed halfway around the world from the so-called 'top sides,' there is a saying about the physical mating of the two: 'Beat it to fit, and paint it to match.'
  5. 'verbal' = 'oral' ?
  6. The intended joke (prunes)...
  7. Exactly the same situation! Before I became an arty-farty English major, I was in training (high school course tracks) to be a chemical engineer. I do NOT like the current state of engineering understanding of composite materials AT ALL.
  8. P.P.S. I also, repeating myself from a couple years ago, still have uneasiness about the longer-term structural integrity of the composites that make up a lot of the 787's fuselage. We just do not understand that stuff with anything approaching the engineering confidence that the program managers wanted to believe. Numerous engineers and structural-analysis discipline leads told me they were being pushed by their managers (can anyone say 'Challenger O-rings'?) to approve designs to meet schedule without remotely enough testing, experiment and software simulation. And we have NO idea how to inspect crafts made from it, from flight to flight. I think it is a mess in the making.
  9. EXCEPT for this nonsense (I overstate, but still) of going down to just two engines for long over-ocean flights. As stated here before. I hate that the airlines, and the airplane makers, have to try to make money by cutting engine count down that drastically. How long until they decide to try to fly on just one-half an engine? There have to be business models out there that would get them out of these financial woods without sacrificing engineering good sense.
  10. Also: "The standing water breeds reptiles of the mind." "Damn braces; bless relaxes." [Guess which he favored more.] And then my personal life motto & credo... "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom."
  11. P.S. None other than William Blake proclaimed: "The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction."
  12. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    Nat Hentoff: The Free-Thinking Quick-Change Artist of the Village Voice 1925-2017 By JACK SHAFER December 28, 2017 https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/12/28/nat-hentoff-obituary-216188
  13. I disagree in whole with that view.
  14. I am as rabid lefty as they come, but SJWs do exist. People for whom cold rigid principle in the abstract overrules the hot realities of lived life. Since you raise the question, exactly how would you describe who you are? And which brand of bullshit you believe?
  15. Polls directed by a campaign's own paid staff may be viewed with some caution. I, being a poll-taker myself (among engineering software users), have a certain [statistically quantified by chi-square method] degree of confidence in them. As you yourself will have a certain quantified degree of confidence -- and, as appropriate, skepticism -- in new-engine and -airframe certification methods.
  16. Agree more and more guys seem to be getting fed up with the online contredanses on grindr etc that seldom seem to lead anywhere, and are going back to in-person hookups. I just the other day made the most delightful acquaintance with this very cute early-30s Uber driver! (I am 58.) A marvelous affair-in-the-making.
  17. Plenty of cruising and back-room shenanigans in all the hot spots hereabouts.
  18. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    We all need to strive to live life with the throttle wide open. With only a limited amount of worry about 'steering.' Else we will never know the limits of our abilities.
  19. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_model

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.