Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AdamSmith

Deceased
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by AdamSmith

  1. Please don't bring trashful shit here.
  2. If you will pay Oz's development expenses therefrom!
  3. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
  4. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
  5. Although (in seriousness) the University of Southern Illinois at Carbondale has long been a premiere center of learning, teaching and research. In the hard sciences, literature and others of the humanities, and much else. http://siu.edu/
  6. Fully agree. Numbers of them would even find Carbondale, IL intimidating.
  7. Where it don't shine?
  8. Then are you G. Takei? Welcome back! We hunger to hear salacious life stories...!
  9. And to various Others... http://d2buyft38glmwk.cloudfront.net/media/cms_page_media/2016/1/3/DA6-ep1_Quote_Violet_01_655-X-350.jpg
  10. I like you. (I really do.) Bur we are ALL Nasty Little Shits here.
  11. Top 10 Reasons to Have Your Property Surveyed http://realestate.findlaw.com/neighbors/top-10-reasons-to-have-your-property-surveyed.html
  12. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
  13. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
  14. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
  15. I can only report that I enjoyed greatly posting Over There in HooBoy's time, when the joint was like the Pleistocene (or whenever), occupied by predatory, highly intelligent for the day, meat-eating dinosaurs of every stripe. O the day for woodlawn... Fin Fang Foom... Rick Munroe at the sharp end of his knife!... Et al.!
  16. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    Little Gidding T.S. Eliot ... V What we call the beginning is often the end And to make and end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from. And every phrase And sentence that is right (where every word is at home, Taking its place to support the others, The word neither diffident nor ostentatious, An easy commerce of the old and the new, The common word exact without vulgarity, The formal word precise but not pedantic, The complete consort dancing together) Every phrase and every sentence is an end and a beginning, Every poem an epitaph. And any action Is a step to the block, to the fire, down the sea's throat Or to an illegible stone: and that is where we start. We die with the dying: See, they depart, and we go with them. We are born with the dead: See, they return, and bring us with them. The moment of the rose and the moment of the yew-tree Are of equal duration. A people without history Is not redeemed from time, for history is a pattern Of timeless moments. So, while the light fails On a winter's afternoon, in a secluded chapel History is now and England. With the drawing of this Love and the voice of this Calling We shall not cease from exploration And the end of all our exploring Will be to arrive where we started And know the place for the first time. Through the unknown, unremembered gate When the last of earth left to discover Is that which was the beginning; At the source of the longest river The voice of the hidden waterfall And the children in the apple-tree Not known, because not looked for But heard, half-heard, in the stillness Between two waves of the sea. Quick now, here, now, always-- A condition of complete simplicity (Costing not less than everything) And all shall be well and All manner of thing shall be well When the tongues of flames are in-folded Into the crowned knot of fire And the fire and the rose are one. The Little Gidding is the last of T. S. Eliot's Four Quartets. For a good biographical site on Eliot and some analysis of his poetry, go to the Academy of American Poet's website. http://www.columbia.edu/itc/history/winter/w3206/edit/tseliotlittlegidding.html [Emphases inserted by yer umble redactor AS.]
  17. Russian meddling?
  18. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
  19. Here, I think, is a good characterization of one essential difference between This forum and That Other one (I think no need to say which is which)... One of the first interesting experiences I had in this project at Princeton was meeting great men. I had never met very many great men before. But there was an evaluation committee that had to try to help us along, and help us ultimately decide which way we were going to separate the uranium. This committee had men like Compton and Tolman and Smyth and Urey and Rabi and Oppenheimer on it. I would sit in because I understood the theory of the process of what we were doing, and so they'd ask me questions and talk about it. In these discussions one man would make a point. Then Compton, for example, would explain a different point of view. He would say it should be this way, and he would be perfectly right. Another guy would say, well, maybe, but there's this other possibility we have to consider against it. I'm jumping! Compton should say it again! So everybody is disagreeing, all around the table. Finally, at the end, Tolman, who's the chairman, would say, “Well, having heard all these arguments, I guess it's true that Compton's argument is the best of all, and now we have to go ahead." It was such a shock to me to see that a committee of men could present a whole lot of ideas, each one thinking of a new facet, while remembering what the other fellow said, so that, at the end, the decision is made as to which idea was the best - summing it all up without having to say it three times. So that was a shock. These were very great men indeed. Los Alamos From Below: Reminiscences 1943-1945, by Richard Feynman http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/34/3/FeynmanLosAlamos.htm
  20. I only mean that forum had a greatly higher quantity of higher-quality conversation under HooBoy's intelligent, light-handed management than under daddy's totalitarian, pointlessly ham-fisted, essentially witless style of moderation. And that I think the decline in quality of participation, and the steady departure of longtime substantive participants noted in a post above, is direct evidence of the chilling quality of his moderation style. I did not mean to address you condescendingly. If I did, I apologize. For you personally I have only the highest regard, as you know.
  21. We are grateful BTW for your letting this stupid thread run on and on and on. I for one think airing of the particular issues discussed herein is for the greater good of both sites, and for the community at large. Thank you for this open unhampered forum.
  22. I think I have said so, in full, somewhat above, in the posts about me getting banned & blocked therefrom.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.