Everything posted by AdamSmith
-
Ig Nobel Prize
Aaaand the mandatory scat reference makes its special guest appearance here in the closing credits!
-
Joke for the Day: Add more if you want
Ann Coulter: 'Give ebola to migrant children' http://dailycurrant.com/2014/08/07/ann-coulter-give-ebola-to-migrant-children-2/
-
Ig Nobel Prize
Theatre as the context! See you all sometime next year, with dissertation in hand.
-
Ig Nobel Prize
P.S. Prowness is not a word to brandy about lightly.
-
Ig Nobel Prize
Yes, I get that is the point. Cartoon is as much on me as anyone. I would quibble a little bit with "challenge to ... intellectual prowess." How about -- this applies to striking the intellectual pose as much as running with the word game -- just flight from dread boredom?
-
Ig Nobel Prize
- Ig Nobel Prize
One confesses, in light of your Damascus Road experience earlier today, to be contemplating St Paul's legended fate. Regardless, please continue.- Ig Nobel Prize
There it is: I despise riddles. I await the blade descending.- Ig Nobel Prize
Hm. The dawning of wisdom in oneself is seldom ever welcome, I can see I am about to be reminded.- Ig Nobel Prize
We have every confidence in you, MsGuy.- NYT reporter Risen calls Obama 'greatest enemy of press freedom in a generation'
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/17/james-risen-obama-greatest-enemy-press-freedom-generation- Boytoy Call for Moderators
As I keep posting pics to prove, ain't nobody here but us buzzards.- Boytoy Call for Moderators
OK, the footnotes: (1) The post about the Natchez Trace referred to MsGuy's suspected peregrinations, not my own. (2) My post immediately above is a lewd reference to my teenage crush on David Henesy, the child actor in Dark Shadows pictured earlier. (That is the one in 18th-century getup, not the one wielding the battle axe. )- Boytoy Call for Moderators
Absolutely! ...and I believe I'll have a finger of that tipple, while MsGuy isn't looking.- Boytoy Call for Moderators
Sufficient & adequate door prize...? ...although I daren't speak to whether front door or back!- Joke for the Day: Add more if you want
buzzard buhz-erd n. originates in Elgin, IL. a contemptible white trash plastic Graphix bong smoker. Duplex or trailer dweller. A person with feathered hair, tight stone washed jeans with oil stained white T's. Some still carry combs in their back pockets and most are known to indulge in Marlboro Reds. Can be seen with a buddy leaning over muscle car engines with a 30 pack of Old Style either after work as the sun goes down or on sweltering weekend afternoons. Do not attempt to battle a buzzard because there is always another one lurking behind a dumpster waiting for a cheap shot. Buzzards are known to carry knives, chains and/or brass-knuckles. Lack of teeth is fairly common in a buzzard due to meth-amphetamine use or due to perpetual knuckle-sandwiches. The only thing more dangerous than a buzzard is the pregnant wife of a buzzard. When a woman is of buzzard her behavior is unpredictable and erratic. The only things that can be used to calm a buzzard are: low-grade marijuana, Penthouse backorders from the 80's, Boones Farm wine and the lulling tunes of Sammy Hagar. "That buzzard stole my carburetor." "That buzzard suckerpunched me outside Danny's pizza." "You're turning into a fucking chainsmoking buzzard!" "You're moving to South Elgin? Are you trying to get in tune with buzzard culture?" http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Buzzard- Public Apology to Steven Draker
Course on most of them I find a small bit of graffiti somewhere that reads 'marcanthony was here'.- What Song Best Represents America?
P.S. I love 'America the Beautiful.' Granted it can sound a bit much a period piece of its time (1893, revised 1904 and 1913), but striking how timely its second stanza remains today. O beautiful for pilgrim feet Whose stern impassioned stress A thoroughfare of freedom beat Across the wilderness! America! America! God mend thine every flaw, Confirm thy soul in self-control, Thy liberty in law!- Public Apology to Steven Draker
Just as a side note, this is nice to know, and is in sharp contrast to Facebook, which retains all information on its servers even if you delete your profile there. Besides claiming copyright to everything you post there.- Ig Nobel Prize
Curiosity, it seems, will pay any price. Thus: I apologize. For all and sundry, no feints or escape clauses. (And if you don't recall exactly for what, I certainly lack will to look back and sort it all out!) As for further outrage -- well, who can forecast the future? Much less control it. So. Yours to disclose, or keep teasing. We all lead narrow shrunken enough lives that I will understand, either way. P.S. What I can foresee is a Scholastic disputatio over whether you correctly interpreted and applied whatever rhetorical figuration you reveal.- Ig Nobel Prize
Gratefully accepted. Now. Clues are of the least possible interest. Freely admitting defeat, what will it take to have the answer? Assuming, of course, there is one. A return to the alternative would not, as you note, advance forum Amishness.- Ig Nobel Prize
Let me just say this about that. In great part all this is because it has amused me to nip at MsGuy's heels and ankles on any pretext, in payback for his getting me interested the other day in hunting down that rhetorical figure that, after considerable time wasted in fruitless search, I now believe does not exist. Granted, he never said it did, preserving himself from culpability. That adroitness on his part naturally only adds to the irritation.- Ig Nobel Prize
Thank you! I see a Weird Al-style parody of Prince.- Ig Nobel Prize
Don't think I could really compete. Look at some of the past winners... 2001 Biology – Presented to Buck Weimer of Pueblo, Colorado for inventing Under-Ease, airtight underwear with a replaceable charcoal filter that removes bad-smelling gases before they escape. I.e., Fart Filtering Underwear! And the beat goes on, and on... 1991 Medicine – Alan Kligerman, deviser of digestive deliverance, vanquisher of vapor, and inventor of Beano, for his pioneering work with anti-gas liquids that prevent bloat, gassiness, discomfort and embarrassment. 1993 Biology – Presented jointly to Paul Williams Jr. of the Oregon State Health Division and Kenneth W. Newel of the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, bold biological detectives, for their pioneering study, "Salmonella Excretion in Joy-Riding Pigs". 1994 Biology – Presented to W. Brian Sweeney, Brian Krafte-Jacobs, Jeffrey W. Britton, and Wayne Hansen, for their breakthrough study, "The Constipated Serviceman: Prevalence Among Deployed US Troops," and especially for their numerical analysis of bowel movement frequency. 1995 Nutrition – Presented to John Martinez of J. Martinez & Company in Atlanta, for Luak Coffee, the world's most expensive coffee, which is made from coffee beans ingested and excreted by the luak, a bobcat-like animal native to Indonesia. 1998 Literature – Presented to Dr. Mara Sidoli of Washington, DC, for her illuminating report, "Farting as a Defence Against Unspeakable Dread". 2000 Public Health – Presented to Jonathan Wyatt, Gordon McNaughton, and William Tullet of Glasgow, for their alarming report, "The Collapse of Toilets in Glasgow". 2005 Fluid Dynamics – Presented jointly to Victor Benno Meyer-Rochow of International University Bremen, Germany and the University of Oulu, Finland; and József Gál of Loránd Eötvös University, Hungary, for using basic principles of physics to calculate the pressure that builds up inside a penguin, as detailed in their report "Pressures Produced When Penguins Poo—Calculations on Avian Defecation".- Ig Nobel Prize
Gratias ago tibi, Pater. That weasel is so cute! - Ig Nobel Prize