Everything posted by AdamSmith
-
One step closer to nuclear fusion..
(3) Keep Teller far away. Well up above the tropostrata There is a region dark and stellar Where, on a streak of anti-matter, Lived Dr. Edward Anti-Teller. Remote from Fusion's origin He lived unguessed and unawares With all his anti-kith and kin And kept macassars on his chairs. One morning, idling by the sea, He spied a tin of monstrous girth That bore three letters: AEC. Out stepped a visitor from Earth. Then, shouting gladly o'er the sands, Met two who in their alien ways Were like as lentils. Their right hands Clasped, and the rest was gamma rays. 'Perils of Modern Living,' Harold P. Furth
-
One step closer to nuclear fusion..
It is only that the labs overlooked essential first steps. (1) Clone Oppenheimer and Bethe. (2) Proceed.
-
Daily routines of history's most creative minds
I must try more of these... http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/oct/05/daily-rituals-creative-minds-mason-currey
-
Bitcoin: tax haven of the future
The Secret Service may have a writ to get in on this too. The biggest part of their mission is not protecting high pols' necks but rather protecting the value of US currency by ferreting out counterfeiting around the globe. Will be interesting to see if they adjudge Bitcoin relevant to that mission in any way.
-
Bitcoin: tax haven of the future
You clearly do not buy enough illicit goods.
-
Prince Harry is getting married???
I will not touch any of the jokes that come to mind about shoes and foot-binding.
-
October 6th, 1980...
Very similar indeed! I started after a friend's dinner party one drunken evening on her black-and-gold Sobranies, then went to (following the lit'ry lead of my poet-idol Ashbery) unfiltered Gitanes. When they occasionally became untasteable, I would pick up a pack of your even stronger and nastier Galois. With the occasional peregrination over to Luckys, Chesterfields or Camels. On special occasions, Simon Arzt or other of those flattened-oval-profile Arabic brands. Eventually settled on Rothmans (blue) for the long haul. To quit, went deliberately as you note to the broom straw taste of Marlborough Lights. The last one of those I had was one I had thrown away, then fished back out of the (damp, warm-from-fermentation) bottom of the kitchen garbage bin. The Never-Again moment. As for pipes, I tried one once in college, but immediately tossed it. Too good -- knew immediately that if I kept that up, shortly it would never leave my mouth ever again.
-
Bitcoin: tax haven of the future
Guardian's explanation of how bitcoin works: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/04/bitcoin-what-you-need-to-know-silk-road
-
Prince Harry is getting married???
So you let another one get away... Prince Andrew is still available!
-
GOP In Grave Danger Of Losing House In 2014, PPP Polls Show
As with Bugs Bunny's epithet "What an ultramaroon!"
-
October 6th, 1980...
From age 21 to 32. Quit once; started up again 6 months later; quit again 6 months after that, for good, vowing Never again! Quitting is too much work.
-
Joke for the Day: Add more if you want
Why are they called nuns? Cause they ain't never had none, and they ain't never going to get none. (Elegant erudite Wallace Stevens burst out with this one to fellow poets on walking into a meeting of the Bollingen Poetry Prize Committee ca. 1952. You never knew with him. On another occasion he deplored some female poet's use of the word "womb," adding "I can't even pronounce the filthy thing.")
-
GOP In Grave Danger Of Losing House In 2014, PPP Polls Show
Nor would Bill, who knew and carried out the Explainer-in-Chief aspect of the executive's role better than anyone since FDR.
-
Your Daily Dose of Justin
This is too much attention to not very much, but anyway: Note that this good deed was from a year and a half ago, just before he turned 18. The carping here is about the issues he has had since then, wrestling with coming of age and gaining what looks like more independence than he was ready to handle. Has he done any similar charitable stuff lately?
-
SW nose wheel incident at LGA
Thank you! For looking it up. Amazed I didn't mangle it too badly. I must not be doing enough substances.
-
Your Daily Dose of Justin
He suits my pedophilic tendencies but you know he has applied several more square yards of skin ink since this pic was taken. I have nothing against tats but I like there to be at least a little bit more bare skin than ink showing.
-
Your Daily Dose of Justin
I was imagining the bodyguards leaning over the edge a bit and going, "OOPS!"
-
Sharing the mattress
I am exactly like Theolover in this.
-
Some prayers and well wishes needed please
My thoughts and best wishes too, whatever may lie ahead.
-
Ms Students Heckle Laramie Project
I observed it was an inauspicious year. Insufficiently plausible deniability? In any event, you can now move on to 1918. If you think that one was any better.
-
Mac-Attack !
I didn't say I wouldn't eat one. The opposite!
-
Pope Francis: Atheists can be good
Some commentary on the above interview by the interviewer: http://www.americamagazine.org/content/all-things/listening-pope
-
Pope Francis: Atheists can be good
Long engrossing interview with Francis: http://www.americamagazine.org/pope-interview
-
Mac-Attack !
Think I would have them insert the cardiac catheter and ready the streptokinase beforehand.
-
SW nose wheel incident at LGA
Sully said it rather strikingly (from memory): "Over the years I had made many deposits in the bank of experience, and fortunately when I needed to make a very large withdrawal, it was there."