Everything posted by AdamSmith
-
Divided Supreme Court gets down and dirty
Besides that, Conway and I share a bond of common appreciation for certain instances of Tar Heel young manhood. (Mixing the ridiculous with the sublime -- your pick which is which!)
-
Question from a dangling member . . .
Turgid is highly thinkable! http://home.att.net/~bob.wallace/dubya-strangelove.html P.S. Compulsively I embrace the wisdom in Onefinger's post.
-
Divided Supreme Court gets down and dirty
Well, about the attitude of the Supremes' current rightist majority, sure. And pity this lost cause for much of the rest of our lifetimes. But now, especially, dissents have their use. As a signal to future plaintiffs, and to lower courts, that an issue may not be settled airtight and for all time; as invitation to have at it again, arguing from a different basis, etc. The larger injustices are seldom righted in one swell foop, but by repeated battering in the courts until something finally gives. One of my favorite hobbyhorses, namely Please Enforce the Full-Faith-and-Credit Clause re Massachusetts Gay Marriages, seems unlikely to be resolved any other way.
-
Question from a dangling member . . .
I'm with you! ...in the immortal words of Andy Capp, "Yes, Vicar, I have self-control. But I refuse to be a slave to it!"
-
Where is the Inbox
Astounding! Makes me want to dig out my Crazy Clock... ...which still exists somewhere in the attic. http://www.feelingretro.com/view_toy.cfm?id=9
-
Where is the Inbox
Looking very well, too! Like putting ourselves back together, Wile E. Coyote-style, after some disaster.
-
Question from a dangling member . . .
marc. speaking of leopards changing their spots! Why fight it? Like I (actually Wm. Blake) told you before: In the destructive element immerse!
-
Suggestions
Here is one way I found to access the Forum's private-message function: 1. Log in. 2. In the gray-brown menu bar running across the top of the Forum, click "Members". 3. Locate your own Member profile. 4. Click on your name. 5. In the resulting drop-down menu, click "Send Message." 6. That opens a Send Message page from which you can send private messages and manage your inbox. Also, the left-hand side of that page bears menu items for managing email settings, avatar, and other useful things. Possibly site management can tell us a more elegant way in. Or possibly they can let us know if private-messaging and other functions will, in future, be exposed in the UI in a more obvious way.
-
Where is the Inbox
Avatars and many other things are operated from the elusive "Your Control Panel," which the online Help describes in detail, but does not say how to access. After much fumbling, I found one way to get there: 1. Log in. 2. In the gray-brown menu bar running across the top of the Forum, click "Members". 3. Locate your own Member profile. 4. Click on your name. 5. In the resulting drop-down menu, click "Send Message." 6. That opens a Send Message page. Down the left-hand side run of all the "Your control panel" functions. These include Messenger, Personal Profile (Edit Profile Information, Edit Personal Portal Information, Edit Signature, Edit Avatar Settings, Change Personal Photo), and other useful stuff. Maybe site management can tell us a more elegant way into the Control Panel.
-
Where is the Inbox
OneFinger, thanks, but I don't think the Message functions you describe are the same as the Forum message functions, or at any rate they have not been integrated with the Forum message function. When I do what you suggest, I get a screen telling me that I have no messages. However, when I log in and then click through the Member procedure that I described above, I can access my stored and sent messages. EDIT P.S. -- lookin, sorry for attributing your post as OneFinger's. P.P.S. Glad to see all these avatars reappearing!
-
Where is the Inbox
Figured it out, to some extent. See, if interested, thread by same name in The Pub section.
-
Where is the Inbox
Aha! Doing the above, then selecting the option to send a message, exposes the full "Your Control Panel" options running down the left side of the screen. Is this the only way to access the Your Control Panel functions?
-
Where is the Inbox
Repeating my query originally posted in a different section here: How does one access one's Inbox with the new forum software? I see one way to send a private message to a member, namely by clicking on the Member menu item above, then clicking on the name of the member to get a drop-down menu that includes the option to send a message. But I don't see how to get to my own Inbox. Details: http://www.maleescortreview.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=1565
-
Divided Supreme Court gets down and dirty
Supreme Court dissents can make good reading. Great sarcasm, expressed dry as dust, in Souter's dissent in Bush v. Gore. And Ginsburg's dissent drips with scorn for the majority. She opens... The Court was wrong to take this case. It was wrong to grant a stay. It should now vacate that stay and permit the Florida Supreme Court to decide whether the recount should resume. The political implications of this case for the country are momentous. But the federal legal questions presented, with one exception, are insubstantial. ...and closes... In sum, the Court’s conclusion that a constitutionally adequate recount is impractical is a prophecy the Court’s own judgment will not allow to be tested. Such an untested prophecy should not decide the Presidency of the United States. I dissent. Love her omission of "respectfully" from "I dissent." Sharpest insult among the Justices. http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14...0-949_dec12.fdf
-
How to marry a billionaire
Today's helpful hint... How to meet and marry a billionaire Money magazine's field guide to the mating habits of the ultra rich http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19505458/
-
Where is the Inbox
Thanks for the perspectives, BG. I don't feel bad, just frustrated. The Help function turns up a couple of relevant instructions: One is a helpful page on "Your Personal Messenger"... http://www.maleescortreview.com/forum/inde...DE=01&HID=6 ...except it does not say how to access the Personal Messenger. Another describes the "My Assistant" feature: The 'My Assistant' feature can be accessed by clicking the link of the same name in the board header. This tool provides quick links to many important areas on the board, as well as quick access to common features. My Assistant has four seperate feature tabs: * Information - this tabs offers links to the overall and daily Top Ten posters, as well as your last ten posts on the board. You can also click to view the Moderation Team. * New Posts - will show you a link to any new posts made since your last visit, and how long ago they were posted. * Search - using this, you can search the forum basically the same way the standard search function works. This box will show you the number of results, and allow you to click to view them * Recent PMs - on this tab, you can view your 5 most recent PMs and when they were received. The My Assistant is also used when a new PM arrives. If you have selected to be notified when a new PM is received, the My Assistant box will appear on your screen displaying your new PM. http://www.maleescortreview.com/forum/inde...E=01&HID=13 That first sentence seems to be a clue: "The 'My Assistant' feature can be accessed by clicking the link of the same name in the board header." I do not see any such link displayed. Can management help?
-
Where is the Inbox
How do you access the Inbox/PM functions? I logged in this morning, and up popped a nice window telling me I had a new message. I opened it and replied. But now, from the main UI, I can't find my way back to the Inbox. Ou est-il?
-
Ga. Call Girl ring busted
More sweet dreams! Alleged Madam Can Distribute Records By LUBNA TAKRURI The Associated Press Friday, July 6, 2007; 12:42 AM WASHINGTON -- A woman accused of running a prostitution ring in the nation's capital is free to distribute thousands of pages of phone records after a federal judge lifted a restraining order on Thursday. ... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7070502294.html
-
Lap dances judged "free speech" in Oregon
Good news, at least for Oregonians... http://www.kptv.com/news/13601037/detail.html
-
Don't fly NWA
NWA used to have a lock on the Boston-Detroit route, and charged extortion-rate fares. It has been extremely gratifying to watch Spirit Air and others enter and bust NWA's monopoly.
-
Struthers rampant in Ogunquit
...not to mention Putin rampant in Kennebunkport. He and W. visit the family compound this weekend. I plan to see how close I can get without being offed. Fortunately Mainers tend to be a sensible bunch...
-
Where is BN?
tl, thank you. Yet another reason to hie myself back to CA. If he starts thinking about retiring any time soon - talk him out of it!
-
Porn Statistics
Fascinating. So is Elmhurst, IL the place to be -- or the place not to be? Also, Oz, from these numbers (and/or other sources), would you have any guess at annual revenues of the male escort industry, either U.S. or global? A couple of times I've tried to make an estimate for North America, but I lack too many data points. Must do more field research!
-
Paris 1 more time
No doubt we've had enough Paris Hilton already. But a droll piece in today's NY Times manages to have its cake and eat it too. Paris Hilton Says She Is a Changed Woman Paris Hilton read aloud her prison writings as if she had spent a lifetime on Robben Island, and that was surely the highlight of the heiress/actress’s first television interview since her release from jail. Ms. Hilton’s hour-long conversation with CNN’s Larry King on Wednesday night was as preposterous, stilted and scripted as anyone could have expected. (“I have a new outlook on life,†she said solemnly. “Don’t serve the time; let the time serve you.â€) That said, Ms. Hilton didn’t come off so badly. She does not excel in long interviews, to say the least, but nobody expected her to be witty or insightful. If Ms. Hilton may be in denial, she is hardly the first disgraced public figure to seek instant exoneration — the former C.I.A. director George Tenet was similarly self-serving in his memoir, “At The Center of the Storm,†and he arguably has to atone for greater mistakes. There is a bizarre counter-effect to the Paris Hilton phenomenon: a little like the children’s taunt, “I’m rubber, you’re glue,†the sheer absurdity of her fame ensures that anyone who denigrates it looks even more foolish. It was laughable when Barbara Walters of ABC told the New York Post columnist Cindy Adams that she didn’t regret not doing the Paris Hilton interview because, as she put it, “The whole thing somehow was beneath me.†It was delicious to watch Anderson Cooper sneer at the young celebutante’s frivolity, then piggyback his show to Mr. King’s and devote an entire hour to Ms. Hilton’s jailhouse conversion. And all week, media analysts, law professors and image consultants scuffled like paparazzi for the chance to go on television and deconstruct Ms. Hilton’s latest escapade. NBC and ABC, which had competed ferociously for the first post-prison interview, backed off under the heat of news stories suggesting that the Hilton family had sought as much as $1 million for an exclusive. The interview then fell to Mr. King, who was ideally suited to the task — attentive but not all that interested. He did manage to trap Ms. Hilton with her own words. After she said she read the Bible in her cell every day, he asked her to name her favorite passage. Ms. Hilton hesitated, looked down at her notes as if hoping to find an answer, then conceded that she didn’t have a favorite. Mr. King also cleared up the mystery of the medical crisis that led the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department to release her after only a few days, only to be overruled by the judge. Ms. Hilton informed Mr. King that she suffered from claustrophobia, and also, that she hates to be alone. Mr. King did look surprised when the star of the reality show, “The Simple Life,†denied, with a straight face, ever abusing alcohol or taking drugs or living a hedonistic lifestyle. “I just like to go out and have fun with my friends, “ she said. “ I’m an Aquarius. We’re social people.†Ms. Hilton wasn’t particularly penitent about her traffic infractions, claiming she was not aware that her license was suspended either time she was stopped by police. She did, however, vow never again to drink and drive. She also said she has tired of her party-girl image, and promised to raise money and awareness for worthy causes. But perhaps the biggest turn-about came when Ms. Hilton, famous for an X-rated sex tape that is still circulating on the Internet, said the prison strip search was “the most humiliating experience of her life.†“Is it as gross as we might think it is?†Mr. King asked, looking more alert than usual. “I never had to do that, you know,†she explained. “Doing that in front of someone you don’t even know. It’s pretty embarrassing.†Ms. Hilton told Mr. King that after 22 days in a solitary cell, she is a changed woman. Maybe she is. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/28/arts/tel...amp;oref=slogin
-
Where is BN?
So what was River Cameron like? Bursting to know! (Sorry if anyone hoped this post would be about BN. In the new forum controls I don't see any way to edit the title.)