Everything posted by MsGuy
-
G-mail was down for hours
According to Google, a minor and apparently innocuous programming error initiated a cascade that brought down their whole system. Oops! IMHO the wonder is not that it happened but that things like this do not happen more often. Oh shit!
-
Now They Tell Me!
Turns out it really wasn't me. All those roaming boyfriends were suffering from a genetic deficiency in their vasopressin receptors. Thought I would post the new data here for what comfort it might be (although judging from your posts many of y'all may be carriers of the same genes ). Male Bonding Linked to Genes
-
Julie and Julia
Thanks for the help guys. Yall have talked me into going and I think I've talked someone into going with me. I dislike seeing a movie alone. I was surprised how few people around here had any interest.
-
The owner of "The Other Site"needs some help
No way,OZ, I aint signing no IOU to nobody who used to work for Guido. My knees are in bad enough shape already. Anyway I've learned my lesson. From now on I'm sticking with the powerball lottery.
-
Very Close to the Newest Version of MER
I admit to visions of a stinking heap of bent metal that used to be my computer, but, hey, it's still under warranty, so why not? Count me in. You probably need one totally ignorant idiot to find ways of breaking the code that no computer literate person would ever try. Test to destruction, I was taught.
-
The owner of "The Other Site"needs some help
Seems to me that Oz has already offered to set up a paypal account for cash donations. Oh, and he also hit me up for 1st class air fare to the black & blue party (whatever that is; SM fest maybe?). Granted his stated purpose for soliciting funds is to spread international goodwill to rentboys of all races and religions, but still... Sorry, Oz, but that cashiers check turned out to be a forgery. My asshole banker couldn't wait to lord it over me. He was all false sympathy and shit, but I've still got to cover the overdraft. Like any of this was my fault. I hope you'll be able to cancel those hotel reservations w/o penalty. On the bright side, I have no doubt that a big hearted guy like Oz will go ahead and post those pictures despite his disappointment.
-
The owner of "The Other Site"needs some help
Not yet but I'll check on it first thing Monday morning. I've got to go by the bank anyway because something went wrong with my debit card this afternoon. The damned cash machines won't let me have any money; something crazy about my account having a negative balance. I'm telling you, if those idiots don't stop screwing up my account I will just take my business elsewhere. My guy in Lagos got all my account information last week to facilitate the transfer of funds so I know the delay is my bank's fault.
-
The owner of "The Other Site"needs some help
You can count on it, Oz. Go ahead and get that Paypal link set up & I'll wire the money as soon as my check from Nigeria clears. Sorry to make you wait but my dinky dumb ass local bank seems to be having a problem processing the paperwork. Oh, and tell TY I will be throwing in a ticket for him too.
-
An American Traitor has died
C-SPAN2 is running an interview with Novak from a few years back off and on this weekend. My not so clear memory is that he started off grumpy and irritable and at some point morphed into nasty. Those eyes of his didn't help any.
-
The owner of "The Other Site"needs some help
Now you're just bragging. I demand proof, preferably in the form of pix that I can blow up to cover most of my screen (solely to verify authenticity). European, Asian or South American, it's all good as long as there's lots of them.
-
Are Palestinians actually Jews?
Ever since a genetic study showed that around 20% of the Spanish population are descendants of Spain's Sephardic Jews, I've wondered about the ancestry of modern Palestinians. I realize that the prevalent Isreali view is that the Moslem population of the west bank and Gaza is a result of Arab migration during the Turkish era, but that seems a little too politically self-serving, especially given the tendency of agricultural peoples to stay put regardless of the ethnicity of the rulers. A new take on the land of Isreal
-
Summer Wanes
Not from Porlock, but Pine Bluff. If not for his unscheduled appearance I wouldn't now know that the Southern cedar tree is not a cedar at all. Turns out it's the Southern red juniper. Asked whether those strange looking berries could be used to make gin, he equivocated. His knowledge of horticulture, guns and the dark art of seducing married women is extensive. Otherwise he's something of a good-hearted blank. Currently he's in something of a snit because he can't remember where he put the torsion bars for his tractor. His friendship is just one of the consolations of living in the small town South.
-
Summer Wanes
This thread has me thinking of all sorts of odd country customs. One of the best: my mother's best friend sipped her beers through a straw. She was of of the opinion that drinking beer directly from the can was too unladylike. I asked a red neck friend of mine if any of his relatives used a Dole juice can (he was the above referenced interruption). His great aunt used a coffee can but only when company was present. Otherwise she just stepped out on the front porch and let fly. We had a judge who chewed Red Man during court and kept a spittoon behind the bench. However in Oxford (home of Ole Miss) he just swallowed and munched on Tums to offset the resulting stomach acid. He thought spitting made him look too country for a university town.
-
Summer Wanes
Same thing happened to me. I must have wasted 10/15 minutes checking & rechecking other threads trying to figure out what the hell AdamSmith was referencing. Worse yet, after I gave up and started reading the link, I was interrupted for about an hour. When I returned I couldn't find the thread! Looked all over the place, even in other threads, even checked Daddy's trying to find it. Finally found those wonderful spittoons by clicking links at random. Lhude sing Goddamm, Old Tymers Disease is icumen in.
-
Something new under the sun
After decades of speculation & hype, it looks like the science types are finally beginning to seriously address the problem of human life extension. Too late for the likes of me, but some of you younger studs may actually make it to the transition point. Good luck, fellows. As every SF fan knows, this is the kind of changeover that carries with it a butt load of unintended consequences. Think about it, AdamSmith, you're 175 years old, feeling great, horny as hell and there's only 9 cute twinks in the whole of North America. And 2 of them are living with Bill Gates! Be careful what you wish for In the past few years I've become increasingly inclined to believe that singularity theory may be based on reality. (Singularity Theory: the SF notion that sometime between 2030 and 2050 the trend line on a graph of the rate of technological change turns vertical.)
-
Summer Wanes
Probably friends saved them for her. That's so Southern! My stomach aches from laughing. Picture a seven year old sissy playing in a too big wooden rocker and knocking over the spit can. Then picture him scraping up all that ropy brown glop! Thank God it was a bare wood floor!
-
Summer Wanes
A delightful thread well worth reviving. And now (just to demonstrate my own incurably low-brow mentality) did your granny really use a Dole pineapple can for a spittoon? I can remember a neighbor of my old maid great aunt using a big tin can, but can't testify as to the brand of choice. I vaguely recall some kind of paper stuffed in the bottom, but that may be a false memory induced by your post. I think this stuck in my mind because I knocked over her can once. Not a mistake you're likely to make twice. I can testify that snuff packed into a tooth cavity, using the frayed end of a wooden kitchen match as a tool, works wonders. Tobacco's a natural analgesic. That folk remedy has saved me agony on several occasions when no dentist was avaible. Learned it from that neighbor. Cigarette tobacco & spit make a great plaster for a bee sting. Learned that from my Daddy.
-
Even Bobby Zimmerman needs American Express
RA1, most of your fellow troublemakers are busy posting in the comment section under the article (121 posts & counting). I'm not quite that far gone. Or I am & am too far gone to realize it. No, it was more Dylan looking so bad that the cop was wondering if he had wandered off from some old folks farm. Oh, well, at least he didn't go the way of Janis Joplin & Jimmy Hendricks. And at least she didn't tazer him!
-
Even Bobby Zimmerman needs American Express
This story makes me feel so very very old. http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=8331830&page=1
-
The two faces of Glenn Beck, noble champion of our health care system
Same talking ass, different script on the teleprompter.
-
Julie and Julia
Thanks, BigK, I've found that opinions here and on the other board are better predictors of whether I'll enjoy a movie than most paid reviews.
-
Julie and Julia
Can anyone here offer an opinion on "Julie & Julia"? I have a thing for Julia Child's cooking and Meryl Streep's acting but absolutely hate sitting through a bad movie. Some early reviews seem to have reservations, esp. with the Julie sections.
-
net neutrality
No doubt you recall me pointing out that you had some political heavy hitters on the content provider team, not that I would ever stoop so low as to actually say I told you so.
-
Israeli Gay Teen Center Attacked
I felt conflicted about posting this but decided it was warranted. linked article
-
U.S. Army Checks Out Gay Bomb
I was thinking more along the lines of terrorists spikeing the vents of the Senate office building. Pity the poor pages.