Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chrysler gets into electric car race

Featured Replies

I know I'm probably dumb, but I don't understand how electric cars are more green than gasoline cars.

Somehow the electricity for the cars has to be made and I assume that oil or natural gas will be involved in the process in some way, shape or form - unless they are powered by nukes - and the idea of millions of people driving around small nukes at 65 miles and hour is terrifying.

Sure, an element of it is posturing by the car makers. But you can see the arguments that (1) centrally generated electric power from fossil fuels is easier to make cleaner (carbon scrubbing, etc.) than individual combustion engines, and (2) some electric power is already generated from non-fossil-burning means, and more will be in future.

Of course, if most of that is from new fission reactors... The new animated TV commercial by nuclear services giant Areva creeps me out. http://energyexperts.areva.com/areva_us.html

I'm terrified of a future filled with people who barely passed their driver's test motoring around at high speeds in cars that are essentially small atomic bombs.

I predict that Nascar alone will turn the deep south into a glowing radiation pit.

I predict that Nascar alone will turn the deep south into a glowing radiation pit.

Eh. Maybe all those neutrons, on top of all the genetic damage from centuries of inbreeding, would cancel each other out.

Being from there, I can say that.

Scientists finally figured out what NASCAR stands for:

Non

Athletic

Sport

Centered

Around

Rednecks

I'm terrified of a future filled with people who barely passed their driver's test motoring around at high speeds in cars that are essentially small atomic bombs.

I predict that Nascar alone will turn the deep south into a glowing radiation pit.

  • Active Members

In 1957, Ford showed off its nuclear-powered concept car, the Ford Nucleon.

ford_nucleon_model.jpg

nucleon_green.jpg

nucleon_blue.jpg

Rumors swirled that GM was close behind with its Chevy Chernobyl. :mellow:

Apropos of very little, the Edsel was almost named the Bullet LaVolta. Courtesy of poet Marianne Moore, whom Ford's marketing VP engaged to come up with a name. She also suggested Mongoose Civique and Utopian Turtletop.

But finally the VP had to write her that the powers that be had settled on a name with "gaiety and zest -- the Edsel. You will, I know, share our thrill at this development."

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.