November 18, 200817 yr Dilbert could not have said it better... Yahoo co-founder Yang stepping down as CEO Search is on for successor; company’s stock has fallen in 17-month tenure SAN FRANCISCO - Yahoo Inc. co-founder Jerry Yang is stepping down as chief executive, ending a rocky reign marked by his refusal to sell the Internet company to Microsoft Corp. for $47.5 billion — more than triple Yahoo's current market value. The change in command announced Monday won't be completed until Yahoo finds his replacement. The Sunnyvale-based company said it is interviewing candidates inside and outside Yahoo in a search led by its chairman, Roy Bostock, and the executive recruitment firm Heidrick & Struggles. "Jerry and the board have had an ongoing dialogue about succession timing, and we all agree that now is the right time to make the transition to a new CEO who can take the company to the next level," Bostock said... (Emphasis courtesy AdamSmith) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27775703 ...ROFL. For "next level" read "basement." Creative destruction, anyone?
November 29, 200817 yr I'm sorry for Yahoo, but I'm not really surprised. In the past I tried to use Yahoo Voice to make international calls over the internet. I found the quality very good, but somehow I couldn't make a payment to add credit to call landlines as well (instead of only toll-free numbers). I remember that when I tried to make a call, before the connection was even made I got the message "This call ended because you failed to verify your credit card". When I called customer service, they couldn't help me due to "Company Policies" (LOL, whatever that would mean). I also remember that at the time I thought "Well, if this is the way they 'welcome' new customers, then I wonder how they'll be doing in the future." I guess I got my answer. Nevertheless I'm still sorry for them. Sincerely, Anton/Amsterdam.
November 29, 200817 yr Author Their web-site hosting services are like that, too. If you need customer support, forget about it. And the latest sign of their sinking ship: Their web hosting services used to keep backup snapshots of your web site at regular points in time, dating back for at least a year. But recently, with no notice to customers, they deleted all the snapshots older than one month. Caught me by the balls on one site I help to maintain. Methinks they will now have a hard time getting anything like the valuation that Microsoft first offered for the business.
January 15, 200917 yr Author Yahoo's new CEO, Carol Bartz, will cut some nuts off and straighten things out. Could it even (disclaimer: I am not qualified to give stock advice etc. etc.) be time to pick up a little YHOO? Assuming one has any spare dinars lying around.
January 15, 200917 yr Author Ha!! Indeed. I should have said yuan. Though even there... Who was it said, "I'd love to, but I'm afraid all my money is tied up in cash"?
January 16, 200917 yr Yahoo is the pits. I finally got rid of their IM program because it crashed so often and would often bring my computer down with it.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.