Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ellen DeGeneres' JCPenney commercials

Featured Replies

  • Active Members

Ugh, I hadn't watched the commercials until just now... had assumed they were clever or funny. Not so much. Major waste of a boatload of good publicity.

Ugh, I hadn't watched the commercials until just now... had assumed they were clever or funny. Not so much. Major waste of a boatload of good publicity.

WOW, you are not easily amused or pleased are you?

Nice! I like anything Ellen in it. ^_^ love you Ellen~~

  • Active Members

Nice! I like anything Ellen in it. ^_^ love you Ellen~~

I like Ellen too, especially now, and have good feelings towards JCP now. It's just these seemed so mundane.

"...has it always been this way..." Feh!

  • Active Members

In my opinion, these commercials are just the forward prong of JCPenney's new CEO, Ron Johnson's, plans for revitalizing the company.

Remains to be seen whether he'll succeed or not but I've got to give him props for increasing brand awareness, which is what this phase of the marketing effort is about. It's been years since I even thought about Penney's (which is what we called it when I was a kid) and decades since I've been in a store.

Johnson (who built Apple's successful retail operation from scratch) is planning to throw out coupons, nearly do away with sales promotions, and rationalize pricing. It's a huge gamble.

I agree that the commercials didn't do a terrific job of explaining all this, but it's early yet. This kind of brand reinvention won't happen in weeks or months, but he does have folks talking, and that's a critical first step.

I think the Million Moms did him a huge favor, getting the buzz started when they did. Ellen picked it up seamlessly and got even folks like me watching for the ads and looking to find out where the nearest JCPenney store is.

Alas, there's not one even close, and I think that's one of their biggest problems right now. Their real estate is awful. But, with his experience at Target and at Apple, Johnson seems like a good choice to try getting things on a better track.

I'm looking at these commercials as the season-opener for what I hope will be a series we'll come to enjoy for many years.

ellen-bangstyle.com_.jpg . . JCP-New-logo-B.jpg

Talking of Johnson... One's initial success can make one to take more risk but I want to see how it pans out. Some people can do it repeatedly and avoid mistakes. So let's see about how Johnson does it this time.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.