December 29, 200916 yr Of course it would not be easy, but they could also purchase a plane I suppose it's not impossible. I also suppose it's very unlikely. Ok, they're going to go to South America. They're going to buy an airplane. They may even have someone capable of flying it, capable of navigation, proficient with designated airways, capable of communicating correctly with Air Traffic Control, and someone who also knows how to create and submit international flight plans so they won't be forced down under military escort, get shot down on the way, or arrested at fuel stops. Now they have to get the plane into the USA without having problems with customs or the military. They manage to get it in. Now they have to obtain explosives without arousing suspicion, the kind that will detonate on impact, and get those explosives delivered to their plane and loaded, again without arousing suspicion. Assuming they have someone trained and capable of flying the plane, off they go to seek out the cruise ship, dive into it, and a-kaboom! It's possible. It's also just a wee bit far fetched, don't you think? You make it seem as if it's not a big problem to actually happen, just as if they have never thought of trying to do it. Ok, I'm convinced. Time to install flak guns on all the cruise ships. Despite the risk, if I ever manage to get on The Price is Right and win a cruise on the Showcase Showdown, I'm going on the cruise. I live for thrills . . . "I think I better think it out again." -Fagin, 'Oliver!'
December 29, 200916 yr Just don' take a cruise ship that stops at a port in Yemen. A relatively small boat just about sunk the destroyer Cole. A lot easier then renting/buying a small airplane.
December 30, 200916 yr A relatively small boat just about sunk the destroyer Cole. A lot easier then renting/buying a small airplane. Yep. That's true. You've got me on that one. "Ramming speed!" - Quintus Arrius, 'Ben Hur'
December 30, 200916 yr It's possible. It's also just a wee bit far fetched, don't you think? You make it seem as if it's not a big problem to actually happen, just as if they have never thought of trying to do it Difficult? Absolutely. Far Fetched? No doubt - but then, wasn't 9/11 far fetched?. Possible? Certainly. You seem to think buying/obtaining a private plane is difficult. Although I've never done it (chartering 747 freighters is as far as I have got), I am assured it is not. The drug cartels manage without too much difficulty. Crop sprayers have no difficulty. I'd have thought it's far easier than highjacking 4 commercial airliners within the USA and then deliberately downing them in spectacular fashion. Plus they do not have to go anywhere near the USA. It can all be done from virtually anywhere near an ocean, including Yemen and Somalia. Ok, I'm convinced. Time to install flak guns on all the cruise ships Why stop there? A cruise missile or two might not go amiss
December 30, 200916 yr An interesting read from a security "expert" on the pointlessness of "security theater" Is aviation security mostly for show? by Bruce Schneier bkkguy
December 30, 200916 yr An interesting read from a security "expert" on the pointlessness of "security theater" It's an excellent article with an interesting and highly plausible theory. But for many years to come, I for one will not be happy boarding a flight without the post 9/11 security procedures in place.
December 30, 200916 yr Why stop there? A cruise missile or two might not go amiss Now that's a good idea. Maybe they can do even better and borrow a cloaking device from the Klingons . . . An interesting read from a security "expert" on the pointlessness of "security theater" I agree with every word in that article.
December 30, 200916 yr Maybe they can do even better and borrow a cloaking device from the Klingons Now, why didn't I think of that? I can see you have a lucrative new career ahead of you as security adviser to the cruise line industry
December 30, 200916 yr I can see you have a lucrative new career ahead of you as security adviser to the cruise line industry Do I need a work permit?
December 30, 200916 yr But for many years to come, I for one will not be happy boarding a flight without the post 9/11 security procedures in place. one plot involved liquids, now we can't take liquids through security; one guy had explosives in his shoe, now we take our shoes off going through security; this guy had explosives in his underwear - this could start to get interesting on another forum I saw a comment that full-body back-scatter scans cannot detect explosives or weapons hidden between rolls of body fat - the fat ugly old falung tourists may have a whole new career opening up for them!
December 30, 200916 yr I would guess sinking a cruise ship is probably much easier to do by boat than it would be by plane. The pirates in the Gulf of Aden and certain parts of Indonesia have certainly proven that hijacking ships is not all that tough.
December 30, 200916 yr We keep harping on the security of passenger flights. My fear is more about the level of security on cargo flights. How well are cargo or charter aircraft secured against hijackers somehow getting on board and pulling off another 9/11? A UPS or FedEx cargo plane was almost hijacked and crashed. A disgruntled/unstable employee (maybe a pilot) caught a ride on a cargo plane and then attacked the pilot and co-pilot with a hammer. A terrible fight ensued for a couple of hours until the pilots finally subdued the attacker and were able to land the plane. During the attack the plane was flying erratically to puzzlement of air traffic controllers.
January 4, 201016 yr Heathrow airport already took ages with security before this happened , I`m dreading my next visit.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.