ihpguy

Help With Finding Airfares

• Members

My plans include traveling to Pattaya and Koh Samui at the end of December through January. Going from Rio de Janeiro to Bangkok. Very flexible dates. And ideas on where I can get decently-priced airfare. I cannot use an air/hotel package as I will be staying with a friend who has condos in both locations. Thanks for any and all help/advice. I've never been.

Also, thinking of going to Angkor Wat. Has anyone been? How long should I plan on going for? Fly? Bus? Where to stay while there? Recommendations?

Guest lurkerspeaks

two online services i have used are kayak and sidestep.. they compare many actual airlines to find a "best" fare..

I had a friend mention an airline consolidator as a possibility for my (hopeful) trip to Thailand in November. I havent gotten the specifics out of him yet though.

• Members

You are going there at a super-great-time if the weather stays consistent. December-February are stellar months weather-wise. When I was last there in 2008 or 2009, who can remember precise years these days, the weather was supreme in all places where I went. I was fortunate enough to have stayed for almost a month, two weeks with a tour group and two weeks on my own!

Sorry I cannot answer your initial query, though, but might chime in and suggest that you try www.agoda.com or some such site. I know hotel rates are great here; I don't know about air fares although the two that Lurker suggested have been great for me for some of my travels.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestion for Agoda, but I did not need hotel space, per my original post. I am going to visit a friend who has condominiums in both Koh Samui and just outside of Pattaya. I was hoping someone might know of a consolidator for Thailand that I could contact. Also any ideas as far as cheaper split tickets via Santiago, Auckland, Buenos Aires for example.

I've already tried Sidestep and Kayak. Everyone seems to be starting at around $2300.00US for the airfare. Whether with Thai, TAP, EK, AA, QATAR, UACO or places like Expedia. Was wondering if anyone had any other avenues I might explore.

Has anyone on here been to Angkor Wat? How long should I plan on being there? Any personal recommendations for overnight stays?

Much thanks. The thing I am most excited about is that I am really a nut for Thai food. This trip I am visiting this friend but for the next.... there is a cooking school in Chang Mai I dream of attending.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestion for Agoda, but I did not need hotel space, per my original post. I am going to visit a friend who has condominiums in both Koh Samui and just outside of Pattaya. I was hoping someone might know of a consolidator for Thailand that I could contact. Also any ideas as far as cheaper split tickets via Santiago, Auckland, Buenos Aires for example.

I've already tried Sidestep and Kayak. Everyone seems to be starting at around $2300.00US for the airfare. Whether with Thai, TAP, EK, AA, QATAR, UACO or places like Expedia. Was wondering if anyone had any other avenues I might explore.

Has anyone on here been to Angkor Wat? How long should I plan on being there? Any personal recommendations for overnight stays?

Much thanks. The thing I am most excited about is that I am really a nut for Thai food. This trip I am visiting this friend but for the next.... there is a cooking school in Chang Mai I dream of attending.

Not sure where you reside but assuming you are traveling to Rio from the USA? You may find it cheaper to return to say LAX and get the many cheap fares available to Bangkok from there .

As far as Angkor Wat it really depends on you because you could easily spend a week or more there and only scratch the surface. Phnom Phen is a nice small city with good Hotels and restaurants and enough Gay Boys to make it very interesting. There are so many wonderful Temples to see in the Angkor Wat area . I would stay a minimum of 3 nights but easily could spend 7 days without getting bored. Prepare to do a lot of walking and climbing but worth the experience.

May I suggest you go to Trip Advisor Forum and read threads on available guides. Your experience will be far superior with your own guide and the cost for this is ridiculously low by Western Standards . It has been 4 years since I hired a man who was in the Cambodian Army during the massacres and he was a wonderful person and guide. I am sorry I don't have his info handy but you will definitely find it on Trip Advisor.

• Members

You're welcome! I thought agoda was more than just for hotels! Excuse the error!

• Members

Thanks firecat69, I'll check into that. TripAdvisor forum is something that I never go to. I'll have to definitely read up. I've seen the photos of Angkor Wat and read a few books, both fiction and non, but it has been quite a while. Had not a clue that one could spend up to a week there and barely scrape the surface.

Guest pokahottie

I usually search for airfares using the the ITA tool, links below.

It's pretty straightforward. Enter your details and go. If prompted, select "Log in as guest".

You cannot book a ticket through this site, it's only a reference tool, but should point you in the right direction. It's accurate and queries almost every airline.

On the old site, which I prefer, within the extended results, it will indicate where to purchase the ticket. The typical options are directly with the airline, (i.e. reservation line or website) or through a travel agent/website. Some fares are only available to TA's and those fares are most usually available to sites like Expedia, Travelocity, Kayak, etc.

Some fares combine airlines either through alliances or inter-line agreements.

The rates quoted are usually inclusive of taxes, however booking fees might be added by the agency where you purchase the ticket.

Old Site:

https://matrix1.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/prego/calendar;jsessionid=818DB5D9C326E7F48DCA3737E361AD46

New Site:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/