AdamSmith

Holding Pattern

Guest zipperzone

Fascinating..

I would be interested in hearing from RA1, which, from a pilot's perspective, are the safest airports in the world

and which are the worst.

• Members

The pix are indeed fascinating but not exactly how a pilot perceives an airport. We look at how complicated it might be from the number of runways, the consistent traffic into and out of the airport, the nearby traffic, any unusual geographic features such as mountains, short runways, etc. etc. Flying into such as JFK, ORD, ATL, LAX and the like is always "interesting" with the high volume of traffic, the constant controller chatter and change of runways, change of direction, etc. AND when the weather gets bad AND the traffic increases, it really can get interesting.

As far as safe and unsafe airports, I tend to regard them about the same as I do US airlines and foreign airlines. Flying a Russian airline into Murmansk in the dead of winter might be more exciting than one would hope. OTOH, flying BA into LHR during the summertime should be a piece of cake even though it is a busy airport.

Basically, I think the US has the best ATC system and therefore is the safest when on a US airline. BTW, Zip, I have had very, very good luck and experience with every Canadian air controller I have had the pleasure to know. I certainly put them on a par with the US controllers and system. Coming back from Europe and landing at such as Goose Bay and hearing a friendly Canuck can be very heart warming, regardless of the negative zero temperatures. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

While we are on this topic, here is an article with what they claim are the world's scariest runways...each with a short video clip. http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/the-worlds-scariest-runways/1 Some of the videos definitely give a sense of that scary factor and provides a greater appreciation for the nerves of steel and skills of the pilots.

I suppose how scary it is depends on one's perspective...whether a pilot (and I like to think it isn't scary for them but perhaps just technically challenging, lol), passenger or bystander on the ground. I suppose it is often good to be blissfully ignorant of these things for the most part as a passenger. The one on the list that stands out for me that I used to fly in and out of as a passenger quite a bit was at the old Hong Kong airport (Kai Tak airport).

• Members

I have seen the AN225 up close and even far away it is humongous. If ever I have the change to fly one I would be more than pleased to drop off MsGuy or anyone at Murmansk or elsewhere. ^_^

As far as scary airports, any and all can be under certain circumstances. Like everything else, it depends upon the situation. Very low or bad weather can make otherwise very friendly airports become daunting. It isn't the airport but the situation.

Also the equipment can make a huge difference. Flying a Twin Otter on a pretty day into Kai Tak would be no problem, Flying a 747 with low clouds and a brisk cross winds into there is entirely different.

Most pilots are nervous or at least keenly alert the first time they fly into a strange airport no matter how many times they may have practiced it in the sim. Regardless they tend to maintain a professional attitude and posture and go about heir business expecting and achieving a good result. AKA a safe landing.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I have seen the AN225 up close and even far away it is humongous. If ever I have the change to fly one I would be more than pleased to drop off MsGuy or anyone at Murmansk or elsewhere. :smile:

Until that happy day arrives, here's a simulated takeoff just ahead of the end of the world in 2012. They call it an Antonov 500.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWTFVUbaXg0

Come on baby, lift your big ass for Sasha!

• Members

Thanks for posting the link. However, this is exactly why I go to so few movies. NOTHING realistic about it. If you don't want to talk to the tower, why wear a headset? It takes about 3 hours to run a pre-takeoff check list for this aircraft. Even if you totally disregarded the checklist it would take many minutes to just start the engines and get enough systems online to move or stop or anything Perhaps all that happened earlier in the movie.?

OTOH, a very memorable and gay line is, "lift your big ass for Sasha". ^_^

Best regards,

RA1