mvan1

Sao Paulo - garoto prices have come down - taxis prices are up

• Members

Despite what I heard or read about Sao Paulo garoto prices increasing, I must disagree.

About one year ago, there was an effort (of sorts) for garotos at Lagoa to inflate their asking price. The effort failed, for the most part.

My own personal experience and the experience of others at Lagoa support my observation that garoto prices at Lagoa have not increased over the past few years. Asking prices increased for a short period but that did not last.

On the other hand, I did notice that the official taxi company at Sao Paulo's international airport increased its "fixed" fares.

The fixed fare from the airport - GRU to the area of Morumbi was about R$150 and to the Paulista area, the fixed fare was about R$120. Those same fixed rates were in effect for a couple of years, including this past January.

However, the fixed fares have increased more than 25%, just since January.

Considering the increasing high unemployment in Brazil since last year, it is unclear why the "regulated" taxi co-op at GRU authorized more than 25% increase, far greater than inflation.

Our stronger dollar (currently) helps to offset the taxi increases.

Despite the increased fixed taxi rates, I strongly urge travelers to use regulated taxis from airports. You get ripped off in the new price but at least you will get to your destination without a hassle over the price from an independant taxi driver or some driver pretending to be a taxi service.

• Members

I agree with you, to be safe I always take taxi regulated by Sao Paulo Airport, it was R120, then R135 and now you said R, i am going there next month and that's the price i expected, , $150 is going to Rua Lagoa. I am staying in Travel Inn Lodge and 10-15 min walk to Thermas Lagoa, I can't wait !

Iluvmen, Thank you for sharing all the information. Can I ask can you take guys back to your hotel room at the Travel Inn Lodge? Also did you book direct through the hotels website or via another intermediary. I am planning a visit at the end of June and looking forward to some great experiences.

• Members

Hey, I never took guys back to my hotel before because i was sharing room with my buddy, maybe this time but i know hotel wouldnt mind if he come in with you back to the hotel. I booked it through Travelocity. Good thing is it is on Rua Lagoa where Thermas Lagoa is.