Guest tomcal

Time Mag. - 4 challenges Rio faces for Olympics

Guest tomcal

http://time.com/3768709/rio-de-janeiro-2016-olympics/

Here are the 4 Challenges Rio de Janeiro Must Meet to Host a Successful 2016 Olympics click above link for details on each issue.

1. Pollution in Rio’s Guanabara Bay

2. The water and energy crisis

3. Olympic development is raising social tension

4. Street crime and public security

I would still bet traffic is going to be a big issue...just saying! :-)

• Members

I've unfortunately read the same thing Tomcal. All are just daunting problems. I just don't know how they will be able to deal with the pollution, crime, the water crisis, and how they justify spending 100's of millions on the Olympics when there is such disparity between rich and poor.

• Members

#1 and #3 for sure.

#2 for Sao Paulo

#4 was forecasted for 2014 and the government clamped down on everything. On Wednesday night there happened to be a protest march on the street where I was walking going in the opposite direction. I was able to do a rough count as to there being fewer marchers than police.

• Members

On another thread that I cannot locate, TomCal mentioned that construction must stop while a firm or firm are being investigated. Well, I can confirm that the tunnel replacing the Perimetral along the edge of Centro has stopped work. Sad to not see any new progress.

Guest Trench

As bad as all of these (scandals) may seem, as in everything else, it’s probably worse. I could not believe when I heard that the Rio Olympic committee hired a-noun-a-verb + 911 Giuliani as security consultant. But as in everything to do with Brazil, if they can just coach things in the context of futbol, they might just be able to pull it off.