mvan1

Brazil - Knowledge is power to staying safe

• Members

In recent months, street crime in Brazil (not just Rio) has markedly increased. Therefore, I believe that visitors to Brazil should learn as much as possible about street crimes in order to lessen their chances of becoming a future victim of those crimes.

Increased street crime is blamed on high unemployment and Brazil’s out-of-control inflation, according to recent reports, social media and Brazilian economists, and of course, the police.

Quite simply, when a man has no job and cannot earn money to support himself and/or his family, some men will resort to mugging and robbery to survive. That is just the way life is.

I have visited Brazil many times for many years. I plan to continue visiting Brazil despite the current situation. At some time in the future, I might reassess my decision but for now, it is still a go.

I believe that “knowledge is power” in that if I learn of when and where most street crime occurs, I can avoid those areas where I might be vulnerable.

I checked with the U.S. State Department to see what changes and recommendations are found on its site with respect to Brazil.

Most of the information found on the State Department site is self explanatory, including the recommendation not to carry one’s original passport when out and about.

However, there is one item in the State Department recommendation that does not seem to coincide with the other items in connection with crime. That item is a recommendation that Americans carry proof of their health insurance.

The health insurance proof recommendation appears rather ominous and implies that street crime involves more than merely a mugging and robbery of personal effects (cash, cell phone, et cetera). It implies that a victim could need medical assistance.

Does anyone know (without guessing) why that recommendation is included along with recommendations of behavior while in Brazil?

Below is a cut out of the pertinent portion of the State Department’s recommendations for Brazil:

CRIME: Brazilian police and media report that the crime rate remains high in most urban centers, including the cities of Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, and is also growing in rural areas within those states. Brazil’s murder rate is more than four times higher than that of the United States, and rates for other crimes are similarly high.

Street crime remains a problem for visitors and local residents alike. Foreign tourists, including U.S. citizens, are often targets, especially in Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador, and Recife. Although the risk is greater during the evening and at night, street crime also occurs during the day, and safer areas of cities are not immune. Incidents of theft on city buses are frequent. You should keep a copy of your passport with you while in public and keep your passport in a hotel safe or other secure place. You should also carry proof of your health insurance with you.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/brazil.html

• Members

Since a medical doctor was killed by minors with knife wound at Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas, two weeks ago, there have been more reports of robbery at knife point - including a young man inside a train in Rio's center just 2 days ago. I don't know if there is a statistical raise in such incidents or the media is just enjoying the higher audience these kind of reports have now.

I think the US. Gov recommendation on Health insurance copy is that for in case of a traumatic injury you can be rescued or transferred later to a private hospital (possible better - but not always) instead of staying in a public hospital (always overcrowded); Just as a illustration the risk of death by transport accidents in Brazil is almost equal as the one for homicides.