ihpguy

Uber Banned in Rio de Janeiro

• Members

Yesterday Mayor (Prefeito) signed the law that prohibits Uber from operating in the city, that maintains the illegality. The fines to the driver for Uber range between R$1360 and R $2000. 99 and Easy Taxi are permitted under the law.

Guest tomcal

Damn! Uber was so convenient and so much more reliable/safer. Yet another reason why Brazil is the country of the future...and always will be.

JAYBLK, so true!

Uber averaged about 65% of the cost of regular taxis in S.P. I paid $125 R to go from Lagoa to GRU, my friend went the next day on uber and paid $68.R

they had chargers in the back seat for iPhones and Android phones, cold bottled water in 2 of the 3 we used.

Ihpguy, is easy taxi the same pricing as regular taxi's? if so what is the advantage to them?

• Members

I don't understand how Uber can be so much cheaper. All I do know is that after having entered taxis that were gypsy taxis or with rigged meters, my preference is to get in a taxi with a registered driver and registered vehicle. The official taxis here must be inspected as well. Ditto on the meters.

Last November I got into a gypsy taxi to go to Galeão. The driver was eating and drinking and talking on his cell with his hands. Driving with the wheel clenched between his knees. If we weren't on the highway and had suitcase and a carry-on in the trunk, I would have fled. And whole on the highway, he asked me how to get to the airport.

Observing what has happened to various industries in the USA, if the drivers unions want to play tough, and they are more professional and provide a better service, I'm fine with paying extra.

• Members

{If union drivers) are more professional and provide a better service, I'm fine with paying extra.

A major advantage of a competitive markets is the provision of varying levels of service at multiple price points. Some folks want a dinner date, company at the opera and a delightfully complete BF experience. Others just want to get their ass hammered 'till they squeal. :yes:

Who knows, maybe with a little competition you could get your professional first class service but at a slightly lower price. Win win.

Guest tomcal

A major advantage of a competitive markets is the provision of varying levels of service at multiple price points. Some folks want a dinner date, company at the opera and a delightfully complete BF experience. Others just want to get their ass hammered 'till they squeal...

MsGuy, I totally agree! I couldn't have put it more eloquently!

as far as Uber, it's cheaper, better service(chilled water bottles, charging ports for phones)and every one of the cars we were in, were less then one year old cars, two ford fusions and one Honda accord. I understand the cab unions opposing, and I understand the mayor and city council opposing for election reasons and in Brazil, payoffs, but like the mayor in Sao Paulo said, you can't hold back technology for long.

• Members

I just took a cab tonight and asked the driver about Uber, Easy and 99, He said that Uber will bounce back and be legalized sooner or later. And that I should be using 99 Taxi app instead of Easy Taxi app. That 99 works on a voucher system and gives a 26% discount. Easy does not. Don't know if that is true or not.