AdamSmith

James Beard brief bio

Just came across this short (6pp) interesting bio of James Beard:

http://www.glbtqarchive.com/literature/beard_j_L.pdf

...in a resource I had never heard of before:

http://www.glbtqarchive.com/

This is the archive of a GLBTQ online encyclopedia project that ran from 2000 to 2015:

About the glbtq Project

The glbtq project was founded in 2000 by Publisher Wik Wikholm to create the world's largest encyclopedia of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer culture and history and to deliver it online. The contents of the encyclopedia were formed and overseen by General Editor Claude Summers, Copy Editor Ted-Larry Pebworth, and Assistant to the Editor Linda Rapp. After more than two years of work, the site launched in 2003.

The site grew to become the largest glbtq encyclopedia ever created thanks to the work of its editors and more than 350 contributors. The website also included a variety of essays, a few interviews with contemporary figures, and, during its last few years of operation, a blog written by Claude Summers. Claude Summers' blog is archived at the ONE Institute in Los Angeles.

The project also produced three books: The Queer Encyclopedia of the Visual Arts (2004); The Queer Encyclopedia of Music, Dance, and Musical Theater (2004); and The Queer Encyclopedia of Film and Television (2005), all published by Cleis Press.

The website closed on August 1, 2015 because of the collapse of the online advertising business model that had supported it.

http://www.glbtqarchive.com/#about

In any event, the archive site looks like a treasure trove of info.

• Members

I enjoyed the James Beard article (it could have done with some editing) and plan to mose around in the archive after I get back from lunch.

Thanks for the post, AS. How did you run across the archive?

I enjoyed the James Beard article (it could have done with some editing) and plan to mose around in the archive after I get back from lunch.

Reading several other entries, they all could have done with some editing. Looks like it was an operation that relied very much on the kindness of contributors.

Thanks for the post, AS. How did you run across the archive?

How I came across it -- this morning I was reading the Wikipedia entry on Holleran's Dancer from the Dance, and chanced to notice this at the bottom of the entry:

External links

• Members

If you are in New York you can eat a dinner prepared by a visiting chef at the James beard house. It's always a fantastic (but pricey) venture. His bed area is surrounded by mirrors and the hosts will tell many stories of James such as that he was known to shower nude in his backyard which was not fully private. Neighbors would complain.