TownsendPLocke

"Since you are HIV positive"

• Members
So yesterday I had a bit of cancer (Basal Cell Carcinoma) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal-cell_carcinoma removed and the Plastic Surgeon suggested that it should be done in an operating room rather than as an in office procedure since " there will be a lot of blood and since you are HIV positive" I quickly informed him that I was HIV negative he then checked my charts and apologized"sorry -I had you confused with another patient"

What would you have done in this instance? my only thought is to have a word wih my current Primary Physician in private with my assurence that I have no thoughts of legal disciplanry action but merely to state that it made me very uncomfortable.

BTW this is in no way meant to shame or be critical of POZ folks

This is NOT a doctor I have seen before-and probably will have little (if any)dealings with in the future.
The thing is this doctor NEVER opened my chart before visiting with me in the examining room-I was a new case for him but somehow he assumed I was HIV positive and the way he phrased it "since you are HIV positive" rather than ask"are you HIV positive" is the cause for my concern/upset.

Again, I am NOT seeking any sort of compensation (these folks are doing "good works" IMO) rather I want assurance that my HIV negative status is represented on my record. I will see this Surgeon next week and I will gently explain to him my concern-after he has taken my sutures out of course

• Members
So yesterday I had a bit of cancer (Basal Cell Carcinoma) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal-cell_carcinoma removed and the Plastic Surgeon suggested that it should be done in an operating room rather than as an in office procedure since " there will be a lot of blood and since you are HIV positive" I quickly informed him that I was HIV negative he then checked my charts and apologized"sorry -I had you confused with another patient"

What would you have done in this instance? my only thought is to have a word wih my current Primary Physician in private with my assurence that I have no thoughts of legal disciplanry action but merely to state that it made me very uncomfortable.

BTW this is in no way meant to shame or be critical of POZ folks

This is NOT a doctor I have seen before-and probably will have little (if any)dealings with in the future.

The thing is this doctor NEVER opened my chart before visiting with me in the examining room-I was a new case for him but somehow he assumed I was HIV positive and the way he phrased it "since you are HIV positive" rather than ask"are you HIV positive" is the cause for my concern/upset.

Again, I am NOT seeking any sort of compensation (these folks are doing "good works" IMO) rather I want assurance that my HIV negative status is represented on my record. I will see this Surgeon next week and I will gently explain to him my concern-after he has taken my sutures out of course

Considering the doctor's apparent lack of review of your medical history or chart, and in view of his erroneous assumption, have you considered getting a consult with a different doctor?

If a doctor told me something like you were told, I would loose confidence in that doctor.

I can well imagine the shock you must have had after the doctor told you of his false assumption.

• Members

I completely understand your comments about the doc being careless about your history. Even docs that see you fairly often (once or twice a year) have to refer to your chart to make sure of your name and history, something they do just before speaking to you. Just what they do.

However, if this guy is a very good plastic surgeon, don't dismiss him quickly. I have had 6 basal cells removed in the last 2-3 years, two by a very good plastic surgeon. I would have been happy to never see the surgeon again but my body had other ideas. The other 4 were easily removed by my dermatologist.

What the surgeon did was numb the area, remove what he thought the minimal amount of tissue and then while I waited, examined it to see if he needed to remove more. Fortunately he got it all on the first go.

Anyway, you get the point. You may be seeing this guy again or another plastic surgeon.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

So I saw the same Surgeon to remove the sutures- this was done in his regular office. I thanked him for being so mellow about it all-and that his calm demeanor and quick correction of his statement was appreciated (and I explained why it had bothered me)he apologized again.

I followed up with my PCP just to make sure that my chart indicated that I was HIV negative (It does) and she has me taking another test next week just to be sure. I have not been at all "active" in the past six months(I have been concentrating on getting my health on track) but it is not costing me anything and I have some other tests to do at the same time.