MsAnn

This is something that I could get excited about

• Members

New tech rarely sends me running for the credit card, but this is something that I've been watching reports on all day, and I just found myself looking at my credit card sitting on the table, and just saying to myself..."Hmmmm". I know, my android is running just fine, kinda like dads old Hudson Hornet that just wouldn't give up. but I am intrigued. I know sales are down, and much of this is just BS to get us to open our wallets, but still...she is a beauty.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/?afid=p238|A3OvmzRl-dc_mtid_20925d2q39172_pcrid_12382732158_&cid=wwa-us-kwbi-iphone

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/here-it-is-apple-unveils-iphone-7-and-iphone-7-plus-180913013.html

Ehem.

Earth to Apple: wireless Airpod headphones are like a tampon without a string

Consumers are perplexed by Apple’s new iPhone 7 AirPods because of one obvious oversight: that string is there so they don’t get lost

• Members
26 minutes ago, AdamSmith said:

Thank goodness I just upgraded to the iPhone 6. (Because of dropping my 5 in the toilet! :rolleyes: ) That will hold me at least until the 8.

The toilet? Oh my...Don't feel badly, my iPhone5  went the wash, and no, it didn't survey the spin cycle. :D  I took it to the Apple store and the very cute and kind associate took it apart to see how wet it really was. Water just ran out of it all over his counter. I think his comment was "Oh... it's really wet, you weren't kidding." There was a long pause and he finally said, "Do have insurance on it?...Uhhh, that would be a no.

14 minutes ago, MsAnn said:

The toilet? Oh my...Don't feel badly, my iPhone5  went the wash, and no, it didn't survey the spin cycle. :D  I took it to the Apple store and the very cute and kind associate took it apart to see how wet it really was. Water just ran out of it all over his counter. I think his comment was "Oh... it's really wet, you weren't kidding." There was a long pause and he finally said, "Do have insurance on it?...Uhhh, that would be a no.

Heh!

I shook all the water out of mine that I could, then tried the famous cure of putting the phone in a ziplock bag full of rice overnight -- no good.

Then I replaced the rice with little drying-out pellets from my hearing-aid dessicator device. Still dead.

The Verizon store said water short-circuits and fries the electronics so that even dried out, they're still toast.

• Members
1 hour ago, AdamSmith said:

Heh!

I shook all the water out of mine that I could, then tried the famous cure of putting the phone in a ziplock bag full of rice overnight -- no good.

Then I replaced the rice with little drying-out pellets from my hearing-aid dessicator device. Still dead.

The Verizon store said water short-circuits and fries the electronics so that even dried out, they're still toast.

LOL...yeah that old rice trick is a bunch of BS.

• Members

I had a house fire some years ago.  Various friends and experts opined that all "technical" products would never work correctly in the future.  They were correct.  Water may be the ultimate solvent and it is also the ultimate "destroyer". 

TV's did not work, after a time.  Sound devices, ditto.  In other words, all electronics were throw-away.  :(

Best regards,

RA1

Guest Larstrup

And since the reception of the new iPhone 7 has been met with much tamponic criticism, this must at least be giving Apple something to assuage over.

FAA warns airline passengers not to use new Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphone

samsung.jpg

U.S. aviation safety officials took the extraordinary step late Thursday of warning airline passengers not to turn on or charge a new-model Samsung smartphone during flights following numerous reports of the devices catching fire.

The Federal Aviation Administration also warned passengers not to put the Galaxy Note 7 phones in their checked bags, citing "recent incidents and concerns raised by Samsung" about the devices. It is extremely unusual for the FAA to warn passengers about a specific product.

Last week, Samsung ordered a global recall of the jumbo phones after its investigation of explosion reports found the rechargeable lithium batteries were at fault. In one case, a family in St. Petersburg, Florida, reported a Galaxy Note 7 phone left charging in their Jeep caught fire, destroying the vehicle.

Australian airline companies were among the first to take measures. Qantas has asked passengers not to switch the Note 7 devices on and not to charge them during flights, its spokeswoman Sharna Rhys-Jones said. Media reports said other Australian airlines took a similar step, including Jetstar Airways and Virgin Australia.

Shares of Samsung suffered their second worst day of the year, tumbling 4 percent Friday on the Korea Exchange.

Samsung launched the latest version of the Note series in August. The Note series is one of the most expensive lineups released by Samsung, and the devices usually inherit designs and features of the Galaxy S phones that debut in the spring. Samsung also added an iris scanner to the Note 7, which detects patterns in users' eyes to unlock the phone.

Before the issue of battery explosions emerged, supplies were not keeping up with higher-than-expected demand for the smartphone.

The Note 7 isn't the only gadget to catch fire thanks to lithium-battery problems, which have afflicted everything from laptops to Tesla cars to Boeing's 787 jetliner.

Rechargeable lithium batteries are more susceptible to overheating than other types of batteries if they are exposed to high temperatures, are damaged or have manufacturing flaws. Once the overheating starts, it can lead to "thermal runaway" in which temperatures continue escalating to very high levels. Water can extinguish the flames, but doesn't always halt the thermal runaway. Flames will often reappear after initially being quenched.

Lithium batteries are ubiquitous in consumer electronic devices. Manufacturers like them because they weigh less and pack considerably more energy into the same space than other types of batteries.

Earlier this year, the International Civil Aviation Organization, a U.N. agency that sets global aviation safety standards, banned bulk shipments of rechargeable lithium-ion batteries as cargo on passenger planes until better packaging can be developed to prevent a fire from spreading and potentially destroying the plane.

Associated Press

Guest Larstrup

The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 - or what I'm now calling the new "Dreamliner" mobile phone, is being grounded due to lithium ion batteries.

The feds are stepping in.

Samsung has agreed to replace every single Galaxy Note 7 smartphone, after at least 35 reports that the phone's batteries could overheat and explode. But some argued the voluntary recall wasn't enough, since the phones were still on sale. Consumer Reports called for the US Consumer Product Safety Commission to step in and do more.

In a emailed statement Friday, the CPSC now says it's officially working with Samsung on a recall -- as well as evaluating whether a simple phone exchange is enough of a solution.

In a separate press release, Samsung confirmed that it's collaborating with the CPSC, and also says it's no longer selling or shipping phones affected by the issue.

"We are asking users to power down their Galaxy Note 7s and exchange them now," said Tim Baxter, president of Samsung Electronics America.

The CPSC's involvement may change the pace of Note 7 exchanges, though. Samsung now says new Note 7s will be issued to existing buyers "upon completion of the CPSC process," and neither Samsung nor the CPSC offered a specific timetable.

(It took 6 months for the CPSC to recall exploding hoverboards, to give you some context.)

However, participants can also opt to receive a Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge and be refunded the difference in their purchase price, or borrow a Samsung J loaner phone while they wait for a new Note 7.

In the meanwhile, the CPSC says it's "urging all consumers who own a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 to power them down and stop charging or using the device."

Separately, the Federal Aviation Administration issued a warning Thursday to airplane passengers, asking them not to turn on or charge a Galaxy Note 7 on planes.

Update, 2:15 p.m. PT: Added Samsung statement.

• Members

Cheap counts in more ways than simply being frugal.  My sister gave me for my birthday last year an S6, apparently not wanting to wait a few days or spend the money for an S7.  So far it has not over heated, started a fire or exploded.  And, it brought me slowly into the 20th century.  No rush to get to the 21st. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1