Santiagodc

Marrakesh Visit

• Members
53 minutes ago, Primeone385 said:

Do the young men have id’s to verify their ages? Cause I don’t know what the age of consent in those places are. But I would abide by American law so I don’t get in trouble

I’m not sure I understand your questions fully @Primeone385.

The age of legal majority in Morocco is 18 and every citizen is obliged to obtain an ID (locally termed the Carte Nationale d'Identité Électronique or CNIE) once that age is reached.

As to “trouble”, the homosexuality of visitors may well be tolerated or even accepted in tourist zones such as Marrakech, but engaging in homosexual acts is illegal. Morocco is a Muslim country. If you wish to meet someone, proceed with great caution and be discreet. Speaking French or Arabic will obviously be of great help. And if you should be caught by the police, you should do two things: be very polite and insist there was a misunderstanding, while offering a large bribe to the police to compensate them for being troubled. 

For homosexual acts, there is no age of consent. It is illegal for adults, though corruption being what it is, you may be able to get out of trouble if you're generous enough, as @msclelovr says. 

However, there are reports of the "boys" engaging in blackmail, precisely because it is illegal. It's they who threaten to bring in the police.

Abiding by American law is pointless. In Morocco, you're subject to Moroccan law. In the US you're allowed to criticise your president openly and loudly, Try criticising the king in Morocco.

• Members

Yeah both points are great and very helpful in understanding on how things could play out. But I was asking more on what @msclelovr pointed out answered. But I was asking about those who may use fake id’s to say they are 18 when they could be 16 or 17 and is that an issue in that region? Either it is or it’s not. Because everyone is required to get an ID at 18. Which means that’s not something else i or anyone would have to worry about. 

• Members

I see what you’re writing @Primeone385 but I feel you’re not quite grasping the reality and the risks you might be running.

If a guy showed you a fake ID and was underage, you’d be exposed to both criminal sanction (having sex with someone who is not an adult) and to blackmail (either by the boy and/or his family). I can’t imagine that consular assistance would be of much use, and a Moroccan jail would be a harsh environment. 

FWIW when I visited Buenos Aires, I recall being approached 4x by fit young men who claimed to be 18 but weren’t. Remember that in Argentina homosexual activity is legal and same-sex relationships have equality. Because I insisted on seeing ID, I never had a problem (and I sometimes treated the guy to a meal but I did nothing more than talk to him). I learned from a local lawyer that this often happened in BA. When a family had a handsome son, they sent him out to meet an older man. If a relationship developed, the family would threaten to go to the Police and report the man for engaging in ‘under-age sex’. The family would then accept/extort money to keep quiet while the younger man would receive support, gifts, vacations etc. I know that Argentine Courts take a harsh view of ‘under-age sex’ and the prisons are unforgiving places. 

• Members
1 hour ago, msclelovr said:

When a family had a handsome son, they sent him out to meet an older man. If a relationship developed, the family would threaten to go to the Police and report the man for engaging in ‘under-age sex’. The family would then accept/extort money to keep quiet while the younger man would receive support, gifts, vacations etc. I know that Argentine Courts take a harsh view of ‘under-age sex’ and the prisons are unforgiving places. 

From my very limited understanding and knowledge of Argentina, this sounds like nonsense. It may have happened, but it is anecdotal information. Your friend may have been through a traumatic experience, or he may not be the sharpest tool in the box. 

9 hours ago, Primeone385 said:

But I was asking about those who may use fake id’s to say they are 18 when they could be 16 or 17 and is that an issue in that region? Either it is or it’s not. 

I dont know whether fake IDs is a common problem in Morocco or not, but going by a general rule that the more corruption a country has, the more possible that fake documents can circulate...

However, what I was tyring to say was that knowing the probability of encountering fake IDs is quite irrelevant. Even if you could establish that someone is over 21 (not just 18), it still does not make homosexual relations with this person legal. And since it is not legal, you remain vulnerable to a shake-down. So, knowing about fake IDs or how to spot them doesn't really do much good.

In Thailand for example, I wouldn't know how to spot a fake ID, but there are reports that these circulate. If I were to take someone back who looks borderline young -- in reality, this does not happen because borderline young are not my type -- I would be able to rely on the hotel reception to spot a fake for me. Many hotels require visitors to leave their IDs at the desk while the visitors are upstairs.

I don't think I'd be able to do that in Morocco. It would only add one more party (the hotel receptionist) who could blackmail me. Yet without the aid of a local person verifying the ID, a foreigner would not have a reliable way of detecting fakes.

Thank you for the report Santiagodc.

Based on observations in Europe, I have certain views about attitudes of the lads from that part of the world.  They are often unreliable, nothing but trouble and tend to be top only.  That's exactly what you seem to have discovered.   Reports like this are fascinating reading and save me from the bother of visiting myself.

My views might be slightly non-PC, but if between 50 and 99% of the boys have attitude issues, I save myself a lot of stress and risk by assuming they are all like that and avoiding Morocco.

• Members

well this has been helpful. I just wanted greater insight into the area and @msclelovr you have great insight and I appreciate it. Because unlike you and others in this forum. I’m not as well traveled as you. But it’s something that I’m planning on doing more of. If I can learn from your experiences it will definitely save me time for more enjoyable experiences.