RockHardNYC

So Ellen DeGeneres is thinking about going mean.

• Members

With a photo like this one, it doesn't seem too difficult:

merlin_147780207_c05a4bbc-8b4e-488b-b0fb

How does anyone go from making $87.5 million this year and risking that to shift into a new "mean" image? Portia De Rossi, her wife, says, “I just think she’s such a brilliant actress and standup that it doesn’t have to be this talk show for her creativity. There are other things she could tackle.”

True, there are other things, but acting? Good luck finding a movie for Ellen to star in. Judging by this photo, perhaps James Bond?

When you've hit it big in daytime, much like Oprah, the last thing you want to do is venture off into unloved territory. Not an easy decision for someone who climbed the ladder all the way to the TOP, having come from almost nothing.

Here's the article.

Edited by RockHardNYC

• Members
21 hours ago, caeron said:

Maybe she has enough money and is bored doing the same damn thing all the time?

Boredom can be a pain in the ass, for sure. Total deflation. Personally, I don't enjoy work-related routine. That is the main reason why I opted to be self-employed. "Enough money?" That may be an issue. When is enough, enough? When you don't come from money, and you strike it rich, most of these folks suffer from broke-itus. You never have enough, and you never want to envision yourself broke again. Lots of people in Hollywood have broke-itus.

• Members
8 hours ago, nycman said:

because that routine worked so well for Rosie O’Donnell

Rosie did have a very popular daytime talk show. I suspect she's missing that money, and maybe the magic that left her work.

8 hours ago, nycman said:

why can’t we learn from the mistakes of others?

It's hard enough to learn from our own mistakes.

• Members
3 hours ago, BiBottomBoy said:

She's made her money from the show and can now do whatever she wants.

That's true. 87-mil a year should buy tons of freedom. Nobody needs that kind of money. Creative geniuses (I think Ellen may be one), who happen to be extremely wealthy, can and should do whatever they want. But when you become very popular, and then you shift gears, you better be prepared for the hate brigade that may come your way.

I think Ellen enjoys being loved. And there lies her struggle.

Edited by RockHardNYC

• Members

I had to wait for some deliveries today, so to kill the time, I thought I'd help make Ellen more mean. Mini-Mean. The photo inspired me. It's not a great Photoshop job, for sure, but you get the idea. For the fun of it. A BoyToy exclusive:

ellen_minime.thumb.jpg.ec049a5a8a874cde46bdd2ea3ffe9988.jpg

Guest FunJockNYC

Would love to see her branch out but try acting roles that she can play a mean character.  She is one of the few comedians that does not rely on being mean to get laughs!

• Members
On 12/13/2018 at 8:33 AM, caeron said:

Maybe she has enough money and is bored doing the same damn thing all the time?

I like her and the show, but watch only rarely. If she does standup, I'd probably seek out the show.

Pretty sure she has something coming out on Netflix this week or so!  

Yep!  https://www.netflix.com/title/80166467

The previous example of Oprah is interesting because she has Emmy and Oscar winning or nominated work and now an empire worth billions.  So using her as an example of how Ellen should stay put doesn't make much sense...  

Just saw a funny gif the other day of Ellen on set dancing in a crowd, turning towards a woman who went to hug her and promptly turning away instead.  Couldn't find it in a quick search but did find mention of a "no hugging" policy for her show.  

Basically everybody's claimed her as their upbeat elfin pal and expect that from her all the time, must be fucking exhausting.  

• Members
1 hour ago, JKane said:

The previous example of Oprah is interesting because she has Emmy and Oscar winning or nominated work and now an empire worth billions.  So using her as an example of how Ellen should stay put doesn't make much sense... 

There was substantial debate within the Oprah camp on whether Oprah should leave her talk show. Many argued the loss of revenue could seriously hinder her growth goals, especially with her desire to start her own network. Eventually, she came back to doing interview specials, and did those for quite some time.

Oprah also had a lengthy career as an actress. She appeared in The Color Purple in 1985. Oprah was never a comedian, so she never had to endure that crossover effect. Oprah and Ellen aren't quite equals when doing this comparison.

I do think Ellen should follow her dreams.