Pantherz

Kaohsiung worth a couple of days?

On 11/12/2023 at 5:43 PM, Pantherz said:

Planning a trip to Taipei and wondering if it’s worth spending a couple of days first in Kaohsiung? Is it easy to meet young, good looking guys at bars on Thursday and Friday evenings? Or would it be better to just spend more time in Taipei? Thanks!

I've been to Kaohsiung 3 times but the last was 6 years ago and I expect my information is out of date. With nearly 3 million residents and more in the surrounding districts, there should be lots of gay guys. In addition to a handful of bars and a couple of saunas (one which did attract a younger crowd but older, less in-shape guys did not attract much attention - it was named hi-Man and had naked nights), the city also has its own Annual Gay Pride Parade. This year it is on Saturday 25 November. Attandance is usually numbered in the many thousands.

As I recall, Friday and Saturday are by far the best nights. Thursday may be rather barren. One problem I found is that there are far fewer guys who speak even reasonable English on the apps and so hook-ups were less easy than in Taipei. If I were to go again, I'd try to arrage to meet someone from the apps on my arrival so that he could brief me on bars and other gay venues. Far fewer expats living in the city than in Taipei, and so you may find you are quite popular!

On 11/12/2023 at 2:43 AM, Pantherz said:

Planning a trip to Taipei and wondering if it’s worth spending a couple of days first in Kaohsiung? Is it easy to meet young, good looking guys at bars on Thursday and Friday evenings? Or would it be better to just spend more time in Taipei? Thanks!

Personally, spent around 6 days in Kaohsiung this January. Loved the city and its people. even in Taiwan, people from that area have the reputation being overly friendly. 

Stayed at Indigo hotel near Central Park. Modern hotel that offers great vies and a very convenient location. Didn't have a problem meeting 1-2 guys every day and not just for sex. a couple of them took me around the city on their motorbike and at their favorites cafe and dining places. You can check my reviews about Hi-Man sauna in a previous post. It's kinda small but has theme nights. Friday was so-so but Saturday was actually quite decent. A good number of twinks. I still keep in touch with a guy I met in there and he even came to meet me in Taipei last month. Didn't explore much bars or gay clubs as I'm not usually into them.

Should you go or not? Depends on you. Not sure about your age and body type but if you're popular in Taipei, rest assured you will be in Kaohsiung also. If it's your first time in Taiwan, i would just spend more time exploring Taipei and enjoying the pleasures that the gay venues and apps can bring you in that city. However, Kaohsiung is definitely a valid destination that I recommend to all the Taiwan-lovers in this forum.