Using the hotel safe

Your right to put your valubles in a safe when you are with a boy.

A well known hotel was known for going into your safe while you werte out. The digital safe has a over ride key.

They told me that there was a electric storm and power cut, which caused the numbers to be void. Funny that the safes were battery operated.

Haha, yes funny indeed. I use the safe, but I never take guests to my room, I have my "own" guest, and I tell him the combination for the safe also. We use to go to Isaan for a couple of days. I never take all my money with, because there are no safes at the place we stay. When we leave the hotel in Pattaya, I take out all money and hide it somewhere else in the room, leaving only some not important papers. The place I used last time could never had been found out, if not the whole building would have collapsed.

My apologies for resurrecting this zombie thread but I found it informative and interesting so hope some new readers will find it the same way.

Personally if there's an option I prefer to leave my valuables in the safe on reception keeping in the room safe only 2-3 days worth of cash. Less convenient but somehow I feel better that way.

In such a case I still do not use room safe  in boy's presence. This would be rude IMHO.

For whatever I think I may need for him I keep on me or hidden somewhere in the daypack.  

If there's no safety deposit box available I keep money under padlock in my luggage. I use normal , solid padlock , not one of those crapy,  tiny ones.

I need to stress that never ever I had anything missing from hotel room in Thailand / and for that matter anywhere in the world / but there were sporadic reports of theft by the boys and hotel staff  from others so I rather don't lead anybody into temptation.

I had a case then I left boy in the room alone for several minutes and went  to retrieve forgotten bag from restaurant and while away realized that I had 7000 left in the open backpack on the desk. Of course nothing was missing but it was boy I offed few times before / and hope to do in the future, some of them you just miss /.

Only possessions at times boys were interested in and helped themselves were drinks from the mini bar, now I got smarter and tell them what bottles are available and which ones not and explain why by showing them charges sheet, no problem understanding.

When outside I have money spread in various pockets in my shirt / always use 2 pocketed with velcro  or button / and my trousers , always make sure they have at least one back pocket on top of two front ones. 

I have system of how much is in each pocket - shirt 2000 on one, 1500 in another one. Trousers, 700 in 100 bahts in one , change and all 20 and 50 in another one. back pocket 500 in each if I have two.

This way I minimize possibility of theft but really this helps with keeping track of expenses with bonus of not being forced to show wad of notes and comb through them to find proper one.  

Often in crowded market  I see such a scene of farang pulling pocketful of notes to pay for purchase and then people wonder about having money lifted by observing thief.

It needs to be said that Thailand is known for scams but definitely not for theft and  I always feel completely safe even at deep night.

Never hurts to be careful though.

When in need of exchanging money I use money belt hidden in my undies and usually return straight to the hotel with the loot.

I keep some money (300 Baht) separate from my wallet. In case my wallet gets stolen, I still have money to get transport back to my place.

I am thinking of using two wallets. One with a few hundred Baht for normal expenses (transport, food), the other one with a few thousand Baht and other stuff (ID, business cards).

Guest LoveThailand

I always prefer using safeboxes at the reception whenever possible. Failing that - the room safebox which I consider less safe because it can potentially be tampered with by staff. Having said that, it has never happened.

I keep my passport, credit cards and cash in the box (there has been a discussion elsewhere about perils of losing/having a passport stolen versus being stopped by the police without ID. I calculated for myself that the trouble of losing a passport will be much bigger than figuring the issue out with police, especially on a short 2 weeks visits that I make to Thailand).

I take small amouts of cash (about 2 days worth of expenses) from the safe box, also carry one debit card with me.

I never carry a wallet on me  - it is an obvious and easy target for pickpockets (learnt in some other countries :), as well as no money/valuables in trouser back pockets. But I do distribute cash between different trouser front and shirt (when wearing one) pockets. 

I keep some money (300 Baht) separate from my wallet. In case my wallet gets stolen, I still have money to get transport back to my place.

I am thinking of using two wallets. One with a few hundred Baht for normal expenses (transport, food), the other one with a few thousand Baht and other stuff (ID, business cards).

I don't carry wallet , stays in safety box along with passport and cards and I take them out only when need it.

Bulky pockets are easy targets for thiefs,

I don't mind man showing bulky things in his trousers but wallet is not thing I'm looking for

I lost my wallet in Bangkok 2 years ago. I had visited the Temple of the Dawn and had ascended the steep steps up to a high platform. I then returned to the Taksin Bridge by the water bus, intending to take the skytrain back to my hotel from where i had arranged a taxi to the airport for my return home.

I had used my coins on the water bus and reached for my wallet in my shorts pocket, but it was gone. I think it probably fell out clambering up the steps as i had paid with a note to enter the temple and i cant recall anyone being near me on the boat.

I had to get back to the hotel quickly for my flight and a taxi would be too slow through early evening grid lock. I considered trying to use the Skytrain without paying, but a spell in the Bangkok Hilton did not appeal.

I persuaded a motor bike taxi to take me on the promise of a generous fare despite my lack of cash, particularly if he made good time.

We went at high speed between traffic lanes, on pavements, and through a park.

At the hotel i retrieved money, spare card and passeport from the room safe and gave the guy 300 baht - he was delighted and so was I. I had time to telephone to cancel the card which was in the wallet before heading to the airport and eventually home.

I only lost about 3000 baht as i dont make a habit of carrying more than this in my pocket.

I did lose my executive airport lounge pass but settled for Starbucks.

I persuaded a motor bike taxi to take me on the promise of a generous fare despite my lack of cash, particularly if he made good time.

We went at high speed between traffic lanes, on pavements, and through a park.

you are not the first person to confirm that nothing beats BKK traffic like motorsais and I need to admit that  quite often I take them just for thrill of the ride.

Yes I know they are dangerous and every third Thai boy bears the scars of motorbike accident but I can't resist.

I have statistic sample for you. Ever since years ago I met Pom from Aqua who sported terrible accident  scar  on his bicep  I pay attention to this detail .

May 2013 , 9 boys , 3 with motorbike  scars, / 33% /

Nov 2013  27 boys , 8 with motorbike scars / 29.6 % /

it's why I used 'every third'

Guest luvthai

First thing I do after checking in is replace the batteries in the safe with new ones.  Don't know why but I have had several times with the batteries going bad and having to wait for the manager to arrive to open the safe that now I just change them on arrival.

I only use rooms with safes and I keep everything locked up and only carry enough for the night.