Guest Aussie4Asian

Don Mueng Airport to Pattaya

Guest Aussie4Asian

HI,

Air Asia now flys in and out of the old Don Mueng airport anybody have info. on the following

1/ Bus from there direct to Pattaya e.g Bell ?If no direct bus what is the best way to get there?

2/ How do you get from there to the new airport

3/Any cheap decent hotels near Don Mueng

Thanks for any help regarding the above.

Guest fountainhall

I haven't done these trips by bus but there has been quite a lot of comment on various forums.

1. The Bell direct service seems to have been cancelled last week. However, the site below says there is another direct bus service from Don Mueang (DMK) to Pattaya at 09:00, 12:00 and 19:00. It’s run by the Thai limousine service (presumably on a bus) at a fare of Bt. 280. Double check the info by calling the numbers on the site.

http://pattayainfo.pattaya.com/pattayainfo/go/

Alternatively, for Pattaya you can get a taxi to the Northern Bus Terminal at Mochit (approx. Bt. 100-120) and then a regular bus to Pattaya from there. Buses seem to leave every 30 minutes and the fare is around Bt. 125.

A further idea from another site is to take an aircon bus from the road in front of DMK to Victory Monument (cost Bt. 29). Then take one of the regular minibuses to Pattaya from there (Bt. 100).

2. Air Asia has a minibus service linking the two airports. This is supposed to be for same day connections, but some people have managed to get on to it without tickets being checked.

3. Sorry cannot help.

I hope someone else can corroborate/update this information.

1 There is an allegedly FREE AOT minibus between the two airports (free to anyone with a boarding card).  You can then take whatever bus you like from BKK to Pattaya.   The bus departs from the front end of the DMK taxi queue, typically on the hour and 20 minutes past.   Thanks to a small delay by NOK, I arrived 25 minutes past the hour, so did not try it.

2  Another Option

(i) Take bus from outside DMK to the end of the skytrain line (I caught a no 29, but there are several others).

(ii) Then take skytrain and airport rail link to BKK

(iii) Then take bus from BKK to Pattaya (these are quite reasonable buses, if the times are good).

Due to very poor timetable visibility, I missed the fast train to BKK and hence missed a convenient bus.   As it was getting a little late, I paid out for a taxi from BKK. 

If arriving at DMK any time later than mid-afternoon, in future I would probably just try and pre-book a taxi from DMK to Pattaya.

option 2 of z909 is mainly a big timewaster.

These ar the 3 most viable ways-there are more IF you know BK very well and can speak/read Thai:

1.Free shuttlebus (exit 8 DMK) to Swampy-then the usual buses from there.

2.CITYBus- 29 or 510-but make sure they do not end at Mochit/old=BTS(or change into BTS there) to Vict. Monument, then the minivans from there to PTY-ev 15/20 mins till around 21.30- less as 100 bt and supposedly going INto PTY and not dumping you at that forlorn busterminal

3.taxi (note that taxis hailed at main road=busstop are much easier-often long  for airporttaxi and not 50 bt surcharge!) OR any of the 1000s of upcountrybuses that stop at DMK and all go into Mochit/BUsterminal. There are 2 routes to PTY-direct 48 and motorway=faster-but with also stop at swampy- 9908, with together at least 3/4 buses/hour-untill around 21.00

I suspect the minibus of limo that someone noted is simply a rented van to brig you into another of the regular routevans as -2-

To me, the simplest way is to catch the public transport to town and jumped onto the Skytrain to Ekamai.

I took the bus from Ekamai to Pattaya and reached the bus station within 2 hours.

option 2 of z909 is mainly a big timewaster.

If you have to wait 40 minutes for the next shuttle bus to BKK, then Option 2 is potentially quicker than the shuttle bus.

Guest Jovianmoon
To me, the simplest way is to catch the public transport to town and jumped onto the Skytrain to Ekamai.

I took the bus from Ekamai to Pattaya and reached the bus station within 2 hours.

I'm with abang on this. I always use the 'Sexpat Express' bus between Ekamai and Pattaya. It's comfortable and reliable in my opinion, reaching my destination in a reasonable amount of time. I might take the Skytrain to Ekamai or a taxi, depending on the traffic. When I'm on holiday I'm in no hurry, and 2 to 3 hours on the bus is fine.

I avoid minivans like the plague. I took one once - it was a terrifying journey from start to end. I don't want a quick death - at least not yet.

Thai minivans often, but not always seem so suffer the following:

1 Very late arrival/departure

2 Sometimes hopeless organisation & frequent changes of van

3 Lunatic driving

4 No seatbelts, so even minor survivable accidents would turn into fatal ones

5 Stops for phantom passengers, who never existed in the first place

I have also experienced vans that leave promptly & drive swiftly, safely and even on a direct route to the destination. Just don't count on it.

Given the choice, I would take large bus.  

Guest thaiworthy

Not to mention finding the right minivan in the first place. The ones parked at Victory Moment are a maze and if you don't already know where the van of your destination is waiting for you, then you have to ask around. Most of the time they don't understand you, don't understand you unless you buy something, or don't really know at all.