Everything posted by AdamSmith
-
'Trump and the GOP are making the Republican brand toxic for a generation'
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/20/mueller-charges-attorney-with-making-false-statements-about-rick-gates-communications-417117
-
The Organ
- The Organ
- The Organ
Homo erectus may have been a sailor – and able to speak A new theory suggests that Homo erectus was able to create seagoing vessels – and must have used language to sail successfully https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/feb/20/homo-erectus-may-have-been-a-sailor-and-able-to-speak- Why isn’t Rockhard contributing anything here?
- Why isn’t Rockhard contributing anything here?
On my laptop I can only see 'Can you' What does the rest of it say?- The Organ
- Why isn’t Rockhard contributing anything here?
I love you, and respect you, never more than when we differ. Thank you for being here.- Why isn’t Rockhard contributing anything here?
Your intellectual orneriness is one of the only things that keeps me 'straight.'- The Organ
- Why isn’t Rockhard contributing anything here?
He cannot btw do that to you here without your granting him permission. So just don't.- Why isn’t Rockhard contributing anything here?
I sent you one in the thread I quoted and linked right above: RockHardNYC replied to a topic February 11 Celebrity Big Brother Anyone watching Celebrity Big Brother? I am a Big Brother Superfan and just started. I like the personalities in the house and can't wait to see what happens when Armarosa gets kicked out. By TotallyOz, February 9 35 replies I just found this from the 2011 page link from MsAnn. Now everyone knows why AdamSmith holds a special place in my heart. AS has a fucking brain. LOL! Thanks again, MsAnn, for solving the mystery. Today is the first time I've seen this evidence. It doesn't change my life in any way, but I sure enjoyed finding out what Oz was talking about way back when. 1- Why isn’t Rockhard contributing anything here?
Look, to me those aspects of his very self-conscious, self-controlled self-presentation here are why I love him so very much. I love you so very much too. Can you not see the connecture?- Why isn’t Rockhard contributing anything here?
I should add, I love @mvan1 for the same reason. If he thinks I am being an idiot, he will not censor his thoughts about it. Then we can bitch about it to each other, and come to understand each other. This board needs more of that, not less.- Why isn’t Rockhard contributing anything here?
I just found this from the 2011 page link from MsAnn. Now everyone knows why AdamSmith holds a special place in my heart. AS has a fucking brain. LOL! Thanks again, MsAnn, for solving the mystery. Today is the first time I've seen this evidence. It doesn't change my life in any way, but I sure enjoyed finding out what Oz was talking about way back when.- The Organ
A so-far unfulfilled life wish is to visit Monticello.- Why isn’t Rockhard contributing anything here?
I can only refer you to my signature... “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.” Marcus Aurelius- Why isn’t Rockhard contributing anything here?
I don't think that's fair. He and I (and others) have argued bitterly over some things, slung mud at each other, then agreed over other things. I think he's honest, open about himself and his personal strengths -- as well as his foibles (in a pretty funny, self-knowing way frequently) -- and not ill-intentioned here. As for 'a thread,' I can only point to the totality of his postings here. I like him, and think he is in toto a positive actor for this place.- Why isn’t Rockhard contributing anything here?
Well, you and I then respectfully disagree about what is good vs. bad participation.- Why isn’t Rockhard contributing anything here?
Why do you say that? He can be acerbic and waspish, but then those are some of the things that make him a distinctive -- and, to my ear, lovable -- voice. I like his mode of participation here. Just as I do yours. I think, again, if we tread in great fear of giving offense, we neuter our dialog & interchange.- The Organ
51/51 (Bonus!) Washington D.C.: Visit the Lincoln Memorial…at night. I was skeptical about doing so, but it is my most memorable D.C. experience ever: looking out from the top of those steps over the Reflecting Pool, which mirrors the illuminated Washington Monument on the far end of the pool…the view is breathtaking, the best in all of Washington. It's easy to find parking a few blocks away, and it's totally safe: Other people are around, and yet it's not a crazy mob scene. The hush of the visitors made the whole experience feel sacred. —M.B.- The Organ
42/51 Tennessee: Go Honky Tonkin' in Nashville. Nashville's music legacy is well known—especially since it got its own primetime TV show—but it's hard to know where to start your music education here. The Grand Ole Opry? Bluebird Cafe? When in doubt, head to Honky Tonk Row—a stretch of Lower Broadway where every bar has legitimately incredible live music, be it country, folk, bluegrass, or top 40 covers, and all ages are out to enjoy it. Let the bourbon-swilling septuagenarian teach you a thing or two about honky tonkin'. —L.D.R.- The Organ
40/51 South Carolina: Feast on Lowcountry cuisine in Charleston. It's been five years since chef Sean Brock opened Husk—his white-hot love letter to Lowcountry food—but when it comes to dining in the South, Charleston is still the city on everyone's lips. Brock continues to draw serious acclaim at Husk, and at his nearby restaurant McCrady's, but he's not the only game in town these days. Mike Lata, whose beloved Fig (pictured) has been a Charleston staple since 2003, has since broken into the oyster bar business with The Ordinary where he celebrates the seafood traditions of the Carolina coastline. —Jordana Rothman- The Organ
33/51 North Carolina: Head to the Outer Banks—but don't just stay on the beach. North Carolina’s Outer Banks (that’s OBX to you and your bumper sticker) are some of the most gorgeous beaches in America. And there’s still plenty to do if you take a break from sunbathing, including the North Carolina Aquarium in Roanoke, the memorial commemorating the Wright Brothers’ historic first flight in Kitty Hawk, and a series of iconic lighthouses, including the famous barbershop pole-style swirled one at Cape Hatteras. End the day with fried oysters in Nags Head—this is the South, after all. —L.M.- The Organ
It. Sell$. Ad$. As a newspaperman since age 17 -- managing editor of my high school semiweekly [Mangy Editor, I was nicknamed by my co-student journalists and department editors , who resented -- but secretly liked -- my imposing authoritarian schedule-keeping], this universal practice of overdoing it, and almost deliberately losing perspective and framing, makes me sick too. I think it will come right again, once news media find whatever kind of financial model will keep them afloat in this new digital age. The practice is not endemic to news reporting itself. We have only to recall Jefferson: 'Had I to choose between a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to choose the latter.' - The Organ
Account
Navigation
Search
Configure browser push notifications
Chrome (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions → Notifications.
- Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Select Site settings.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Safari (iOS 16.4+)
- Ensure the site is installed via Add to Home Screen.
- Open Settings App → Notifications.
- Find your app name and adjust your preference.
Safari (macOS)
- Go to Safari → Preferences.
- Click the Websites tab.
- Select Notifications in the sidebar.
- Find this website and adjust your preference.
Edge (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Edge (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Click Permissions for this site.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Android)
- Go to Settings → Site permissions.
- Tap Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Desktop)
- Open Firefox Settings.
- Search for Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.