Everything posted by AdamSmith
-
Disagreement/Argurment With Another Well-know Escort!!
Everything you said here is well considered and well thought out, and true, and I do genuinely agree with you here. And I apologize that the tone I used in responding to you Over There was condescending, antagonistic, and not helpful. The reason I responded at all was I thought that, by posting, you really meant to ask for advice. I accept and understand very well what you said here just above about the daily challenges of trying to survive and remain human, while doing the work that you do now. The one thing I might be able to constructively offer is that you go back to my last post to you Over There, and look at it to see if it has any ideas you can use. I mean the idea that it really is possible to change how you manage and run your business, so as to minimize and even eliminate these sources of friction and irritation that come with really any job. I've done it, and I've seen escort friends do it, as they figured out ways to eliminate those client/prospect-caused sources of irritation from their lives.
-
Sad Day For The Brady Bunch - Please Read!
Certainly not!
-
Notes by Frederick Ordway, Scientific/Technical Consultant on '2001'
'2001' re-release trailer 2014...
-
There are hot guys everywhere in Brazil
It's just getting into the groove of the local culture & vibe. I'm no tomcal, but even I figured out how to do it once I got settled in NYC. Like, I got to where I could tell just from looking which 50% of the likely underage twinks selling loosie cigarettes out of nooks and crannies around Times Square were also for sale themselves. You honestly haven't figured out even yet how to do it in your little corner of ole Miss?
-
Sad Day For The Brady Bunch - Please Read!
Partridge Family! And concurrently Bobby Sherman in Here Cum the Brides.
-
Dropbox, Google Drive or ICloud Drive
Also I like Dropbox because they keep it stable and do not needlessly fiddle with it. It seems like the other cloud storage services are always making little edits and tweaks, and sometimes not so little, to how they function and how the user interface works. That annoys me very much. Once I learn how to use a piece of software, I want the user presentation layer never to change again ever in my lifetime. I hate having to relearn something like that. In having to figure out the new thing, the cost in time, attention, and interruption of whatever I was trying to get done is almost inevitably much greater than whatever tiny benefit the "upgrade" yields, if any at all.
-
Dropbox, Google Drive or ICloud Drive
An online cloud-based data storage and data sharing service, very easy and convenient to access and use. I use Dropbox Basic, their free level of service, for all my big-file transfers to publications I write for, and to my clients. From the Dropbox web site: How much does Dropbox cost? Dropbox Basic A Dropbox Basic account is free and includes 2 GB of space. You can download free apps to access Dropbox from your computer and mobile device. You can also earn more space on your Dropbox Basic account. Dropbox Pro Dropbox Pro is a paid subscription that includes 1 TB of space and additional features. You can choose to subscribe monthly or annually. We do not offer an option to purchase consecutive monthly or annual subscriptions up front. Pricing depends on your billing country and which subscription plan you choose. Learn how much Pro costs in your country. Dropbox Business Dropbox Business is meant for organizations and groups. Pricing depends on the size of your team and your billing country. We also offer discounts for non-profits and educational institutes. Speak to our sales team to understand if Dropbox Business is a fit. https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/73
-
Happy Thanksgiving Mr.Oz
Just see that it doesn't happen again.
-
Hamiliton Boycott?
And read lots of science fiction! It helps me not dwell on the brief but deep hopelessness we have to live through now.
-
Dropbox, Google Drive or ICloud Drive
Dropbox. Easy to use, fast, familiar to others (trade-press editors to whom I send big image files and article files via Dropbox), no funny-business pricing gotchas.
-
Hamiliton Boycott?
Front edge of what we are in for, for four years. Dying historical regimes have their most violent & locally destructive paroxysms in their last years and days. They do not go quietly. These are what we are living through right now. Work for the moment, and hold onto hope for the -- very near -- future.
-
Hustler Bar
"I would say to Robertson what an old tutor of a college said to one of his pupils: 'Read over your compositions, and where ever you meet with a passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out.'" -- Boswell, Life of Johnson Also, as Dr Johnson said of Paradise Lost: "None ever wished it longer."
-
Hubble Space Telescope's successor goes into testing
Webb was NASA's Administrator 1961-1968, the Big Years. His Wikipedia bio reminds what it was like back when American public servants were broadly Competent and Effective, and could Get Things Done. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_E._Webb
-
Hubble Space Telescope's successor goes into testing
And the original...
-
Hubble Space Telescope's successor goes into testing
And because why not.
-
Hubble Space Telescope's successor goes into testing
I condemn Nixon especially because he did not cancel the expenditures for the Apollo Applications Program out of ignorance, or out of insensitivity to all its potential benefits, scientific and body-politic emotional and spiritual. To his credit, he was very much alive to all those both concrete and ineffable paybacks of the Apollo investment. He spoke with Armstrong by phone during the moonwalk; he personally flew out to the recovery carrier in the Pacific to greet the Apollo 11 crew on their return; he was deeply and I'm convinced sincerely engaged throughout, and in his public remarks at the successful conclusion of, the Apollo 13 crisis. Not to discount the self-aggrandizing aspect of all that, but he was in no way unalive to all that Apollo meant to both the nation and humankind in that era. So doubly my disappointment and disgust that he did not defend the program in the face of the general troubles wrought by the early 1970s recession, spiking energy prices, broad public disillusionment with most everything engendered by the Vietnam war, etc. He could have. He had the capacity and energy and imagination to rise to meet the occasion, as he showed when he was at his best as a statesman. Such a vast pity.
-
Hubble Space Telescope's successor goes into testing
In some small encouraging countermeasure to all my comment on how we have Broken The Planet, a sliver of human progress: The James Webb Space Telescope (Webb was one of the very effective generation of early NASA administrators) is entering the physical-testing stage of development. With a much bigger mirror surface than Hubble, it should reveal wonders untold. For starry-eyed futurists such as your umble narrator, it is encouraging at the same time as a depressing reminder of all we lost when Nixon cancelled, in a failure of both imagination and nerve (which phrase Arthur C. Clarke used in his book Profiles of the Future to describe the twin demons that cause otherwise qualified scientists and technicians to fail to accurately forecast the future in their field of endeavor), phase two of Apollo, the "Apollo Applications Program." Which could have led to permanently manned moon colonies for purposes such as constructing and operating telescopes which, given the low lunar gravity, could have mirror diameters measured not in meters but literally in acres. Not to mention the infinite improvement in resolving capacity from operating in vacuum instead of through atmosphere. Ditto in spades for what could have been miles-across radiotelescopes, operating on the moon's far side to shield them from the radio racket emanating from earth. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/nov/04/nasa-testing-james-webb-space-telescope-gold
-
The Anthropocene epoch: scientists declare dawn of human-influenced age
And a tiny cool spell followed by summer heat again here in November in NC has our azaleas blooming now. We have broken the planet.
-
The Anthropocene epoch: scientists declare dawn of human-influenced age
Just remembered that was our beloved Tom Lehrer. Whenever I can't recall a source, I should probably just assume it was him.
-
The Anthropocene epoch: scientists declare dawn of human-influenced age
"...The story of the Mojave desert tortoise is a microcosm of a much larger natural crisis, according to a new report by the WWF and Zoological Society of London, which predicts that the number of animals living in the wild will decrease by two-thirds in the next four years due to the impact of humans." https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/nov/01/mojave-desert-tortoise-california-endangered-lasers-ravens
-
The FBI's October Surprise
If a finding comes down before the election that Comey did violate the Hatch Act, I think Obama -- post-election, of course -- will quite possibly do her the favor of firing himself (of course "only very reluctantly" etc etc ).
-
The FBI's October Surprise
Sorry, not by a court, but rather by the Office of Special Counsel that is now investigating the charge of violating the Hatch Act that Painter filed against Comey.
- Surgery Fart Fuels Fire
-
The FBI's October Surprise
The way Comey can be terminated is to be found by a court to have violated the Hatch Act. A suit has been filed charging him with having done so.
- The FBI's October Surprise