Everything posted by AdamSmith
-
If you had a time machine . . .
PS I for one miss TampaYankee's voice in these palavers.
-
If you had a time machine . . .
It could also be that higher sea levels will suck up oxygen, as H2O does by its extremely reactive nature? I (chemist manque) don't know, but it seems likely. When physical nature can conspire against our interests, it usually will. Thus the astounding wonder that evolution overcame nature to bring us even this far.
-
Barry Lyndon
Only that, again as ever, Stanley was one of those intellects unparalleled. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3c_dOMVXRhw
-
My landscaping project
Actually what they tend to have is a body that sweats and emits piss and poop and you have not learned how to love those aspects of the human condition. You know Eastern much more than Western spiritual tradition and efforts to know the human condition accept those realities and integrate them. That they give you all this trouble is truly a paradox.
-
What is gluten?
Will it even ever be possible not to?
-
Seeing the Glass Half Empty, or Half Full
Suckrates, wonder how old is your colleague? I ask because when living in NYC, I saw a lot of fatalism and it'll-get-me-sooner-or-later in guys younger than 30, even more in those under 25. I say in NYC because when living in Boston before that, I very seldom saw that attitude in young guys.
-
If you had a time machine . . .
Charlie, that may be the Best Post Ever Here (or There, or Anywhere). (In my end is my beginning. ) (Etc.) With just one little reservation: Chelsea is a wonderful fulfillment of the human potential, except she has thus far shown an (admirable, arguably, though I would not make that argument) lack of the raw political animal passion that even yet drives both of her parents.
-
Elizabeth Drew on Nixon and more
I don't much like Elizabeth Drew at all but this is reasonably interesting and even-handed: http://m.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/elizabeth-drews-washington-from-covering-nixon-to-making-new-friends-on-twitter/2014/05/14/751e7daa-dac5-11e3-bda1-9b46b2066796_story.html?tid=pm_lifestyle_pop
-
Tomorrow Belongs to Me
Mein Fuehrer, I can walk!
-
Tomorrow Belongs to Me
I know people individually in Huntsville who welcomed and still hold close in heart the dear Dr Von Braun.
-
Tomorrow Belongs to Me
"Do you still think you can control them?"
-
'Christie's racks up $745m in one night -- and the bubble keeps inflating'
No axe to grind on my part. Just wonder what in particular you disagree with the Gates Foundation on?
-
Tomorrow Belongs to Me
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=29Mg6Gfh9Co
-
'Christie's racks up $745m in one night -- and the bubble keeps inflating'
Fairly trenchant dissection of the contemporary art market. http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/may/14/christies-sale-art-auction-bubble
-
If you had a time machine . . .
Mine died when I was 8. This is a wonderful notion.
-
Greenwald: 'From MLK to Anonymous, the state targets dissenters not just "bad guys"'
The Taking of Snowden 1-2-3: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/11/glenn-greenwald-nsa-whistleblower-edward-snowden-book
-
Greenwald: 'From MLK to Anonymous, the state targets dissenters not just "bad guys"'
Greenwald portrait of Snowden: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/11/glenn-greenwald-nsa-whistleblower-edward-snowden-book
-
Greenwald: 'From MLK to Anonymous, the state targets dissenters not just "bad guys"'
Extraordinary personal portrait of Greenwald: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/12/glenn-greenwald-uk-arrest-me-edward-snowden-nsa
-
If you had a time machine . . .
Mein Kommandant, ve must have verisimilitude! Defining which is of course the prime challenge of SF as a genre.
-
If you had a time machine . . .
You raise one of the great points: Does the future already exist? As for example the great Dark Shadows 1995 flash-forward storyline. http://darkshadows.wikia.com/wiki/Category:1995_Characters
-
If you had a time machine . . .
P.S. Then what you are really talking about is not time travel but rather a time-viewing technology, as in Clarke and Baxter's The Light of Other Days. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Light_of_Other_Days
-
If you had a time machine . . .
Well, OK, but then only a bit eviscerated gedankenexperiment, nein? One sort of wants the whole hog, or nothing.
-
If you had a time machine . . .
But the conundrum that jumping around in time alters it. Cf., among many, Fritz Leiber's Nebula-winner The Big Time. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Time
-
This Has "Gone Viral"
ROFL "Would that be a hot date, or a stewed prune?"
-
This Has "Gone Viral"
Would you date several of 'em together?