Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AdamSmith

Deceased
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by AdamSmith

  1. Of course, could have been even worse... Avios mix-up sees woman fly to Grenada, not Granada http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-24705723
  2. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    Ditto all the above! Tomorrow we want to hear how many inches you celebrated with.
  3. Cow tipping! Don't go giving away all our little regional secrets, now. ...Does the guy doing the belly flop look like somebody's Daddy?
  4. Also pretty good...
  5. No joke but not bad...
  6. I don't know if you would call this a "loophole," or instead fidelity to the contract: In my marriage, I ultimately concluded that the phrase "til death do us part" had in fact come to apply -- our relationship had died. This was only after long application to repair and revive it -- more than half a decade of working together with a couples shrink, and other things. Was that decision exploiting a loophole, or something else?
  7. Excellent debate between Glenn Greenwald and Bill Keller: http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2013/oct/29/new-york-times-newspapers http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/28/opinion/a-conversation-in-lieu-of-a-column.html?smid=tw-share&_r=2&
  8. Thanks for both of these posts. Goes to show several things: conscienceless money-grubbingness of the book biz, as you note. Ditto for the bulk of the book-review biz -- grind through (most of) the book over a weekend, or at least enough of it to mine a few concrete comments on specific passages, bung them into the usual hackneyed faux-evaluative book-review phrases (exactly as some of which you quote), rush it in on deadline. There are exceptions of course -- the Times Literary Supplement (London) is a shining example -- but not many. The NYT Book Review e.g. has descended (some would say just level flight all along) to bird cage liner, more or less. And your mediamatters citation goes to show the Internet's profoundly good effect of giving voice to critical watchdog and outsider perspectives which no longer have to depend on the MSM or expensive self-funded physical means of publication/distribution.
  9. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    Well, now I feel cheated. JK. So those were your modest shoes. Now I really want to see your edgy ones!
  10. Yes. My father passed away when I was eight, and a number of times since then I have dreamed that he had come back and was with us alive again. In this dream, every time I had it, the very odd thing to me was how he and everyone else took it entirely for granted, and went right on with life as though nothing strange had happened. To answer the rest of your question, I have no belief in an afterlife, just in what Hr Dr Freud called wish fulfillment.
  11. Their Wikipedia article details multiple cluster-fucks: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India
  12. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    This one was a challenge!
  13. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    I regret I have not seen hito in tights. But some of his shoes are definitely edgy.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.