Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AdamSmith

Deceased
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by AdamSmith

  1. Nothing to do particularly with bumping uglies , just something I only now noticed, a bit more than a year after it happened: publication of the 5th & final volume of the monumental Dictionary of American Regional English... http://m.guardiannews.com/books/2012/jan/31/dictionary-american-regional-english-dialect ...I picked up Volume 1 years ago at a Harvard Square bookshop that sold, among much else, review copies of titles that professors had gotten gratis from publishers hoping for good notices, and would subsequently sell to this shop for resale. All that digression is just to explain how I could afford it at the time, as it was list-priced for libraries and rich folk. Anyway, that one volume has afforded years of pleasurable browsing, well captured in the article linked above.
  2. Funny write up of a new serious-science study of this perennial question... http://us.cnn.com/2013/04/12/tech/social-media/apparently-this-matters-size?c=&page=1 Another report on same study, with images (don't get too excited): http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2013/04/the-final-word-on-penis-size.html
  3. I was thinking! Getting an image of a dog's tongue out the window flapping in the wind.
  4. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    Well, you know, sometimes could be just that many posters at the same time happen to have distractions that pull them away. I was just at a business conference that, refreshingly for once, did NOT drive me to my cell phone desperate for something more interesting than the event.
  5. One of Boston's best journalists, doing his admirable best on a day that must be rending him. My 30 years living there -- no personal acquaintances were involved, but the toll on a city that this makes me realize I probably do love more than any other... http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/04/15/perfect-day-turns-evil/W7KQHq1NWFqukte3VQ14DJ/story.html
  6. Hmmm... http://m.guardiannews.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2013/apr/16/da-vincis-demons-reinvents-leonardo P.S. This is rather more interesting: http://m.guardiannews.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2011/apr/01/leonardo-da-vinci-genius Also: http://m.guardiannews.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2011/nov/09/leonardo-da-vinci-drawings Und http://m.guardiannews.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2011/nov/09/leonardo-da-vinci-drawings
  7. http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20080867,00.html http://christopher-mason.com/Christopher_Mason/Blog_Articles/Entries/2007/11/1_The_Ladies_Man__Remembering_Jerry_Zipkin.html
  8. One can think of two or three available remedies. Which is in no wise to recommend them. Although the one I tried -- living in NYC, and fully letting it have its way -- pretty near worked.
  9. If you can spy either Pitt, you have pretty good eyesight indeed. Or hindsight. Or something.
  10. Not entirely inconceivable how you might momentarily confuse Dame Thatcher with William Pitt the Elder. The Queen, after all, was believed to have had a good bit of distaste for her.
  11. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    Some believe it is not the youngster who is actually running things, but rather his old-guard aunt and uncle: http://article.wn.com/view-mobile/2013/04/08/Kim_Jonguns_aunt_Kim_KyongHui_and_uncle_Jang_SungTaek_callin/
  12. So the 737, of all things, has some snags ('Sorry about this little snag, fellas' -- 2001): http://m.guardiannews.com/business/201O3/apr/15/boeing-737-faa-orders-inspection Not to beat needlessly on Boeing in general and the 787 in particular, but exactly as the above references, this issue of fasteners crops up again and again and again in mechanical engineering. See: Titanic, iron rivets holding steel body plates together, failure modes of (the RIVETS are what failed), in superchilled North Atlantic brine. Whoops.
  13. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    In fact you were (one time) in those really striking electric-blue -- neoprene? -- shoes. You are admirably more fashion-forward than La Pelosi.
  14. At the moment all is working normally on my iPhone. My spell checker just now said "working morally" but I don't think I'd go that far.
  15. I didn't like the late Thatcher much at all but this extended obit from The Economist seems to do her about right: http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21576094-now-especially-world-needs-hold-fast-margaret-thatchers-principles-freedom-fighter I can't quite believe myself saying that from a liberal knee jerk lefty stance, but I am. There must be several layers of psychopathology that I have yet to get to grips with.
  16. Regrettably I suspect it is the latter. I am just now departing a technology conference where (ahem) I was one of the less slow-witted in attendance, yet we all showed our asses as little more than professional gasbags. Trying to sell consulting to engineers who are manifestly more knowledgeable about all the technical aspects than we are. The one, sort of pitiable in the grand scheme, thing we have of value to sell is advice about navigating the political minefields inside manufacturing enterprises, to help them do their thing better. You can see from that diagnosis why I am a little bit in a funk right now about the profession I chose.
  17. A bad year for Jonathans, t'would seem. Frid likewise passed, just shortly after making a cameo in the Burton/Depp 'Dark Shadows' homage flick. He though was old and less than compos mentis of late, so a pity all around.
  18. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    They hire personal shoppers. As should we all. .)
  19. TY could be my avatar. I use FireFox on my (cursed!) laptop, the mobile version of Safari on ze iPhone. Same site hang up issues as reported by others of late.
  20. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    I must say, from firsthand observation, you do remind somewhat of Mme Pelosi. I hope that is a compliment.
  21. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    I think our hitoall would be happier without a nose. In fact without any sense input organs whatever. He is, in spirit, I am convinced, the reincarnation of St. Simeon Stylites. Separately, one suspects lye soap scrubbed the dermis a lot cleaner than today's greasy emollient bars.
  22. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    Jan 2006 yer umble narrator first met Andre. Life has not been the same since. Like 4Aces I have had reverses too since. But I and we are at least still drawing breath. Could be worse.
  23. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    What Gene Kranz of Apollo called "battle short": Lock the circuit breakers closed as launch time approaches. "I would rather the building burn up than lose power to the control consoles." Not a bad outlook.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.