Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AdamSmith

Deceased
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by AdamSmith

  1. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in Politics
    Thx! Great AP bit embellishing how laughable was Clint's turn... http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CVN_CLINT_EASTWOOD?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-08-30-22-38-51
  2. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    Somehow "I want to go to Castel Gandolpho" just doesn't have quite the ring. Although now The Shoes of the Fisherman takes on a whole new inflection. I realize I am damning myself to one or other of the nine bolgias with this. One can only hope the punishment is not to have Richard Dawkins at one's left ear lecturing for all eternity.
  3. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    They already have. Believe me. ...Fate, thy name is Family Court Magistrate. (The manuscript I am working on at present: Never Pay Your Hooker with a Check...And other meditations on divorce.)
  4. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    How about Ratzinger's Pradas?
  5. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    Sesame seed buns! (As in: "Open, sesame." )
  6. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    No worries -- I can handle poisons and so on. But -- CATS? We need to have a discussion. ..."snakes in furs" -- Dorothy Parker.
  7. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in Politics
    I zink I vud prefer... Und I disagree mit yur opinion of Nye. Happy to argue further if you wish to provide arguable details.
  8. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    This is a nice thought. Thk u. I went to the mall with mummy 3 days ago and the animal rescue people were there with a lot of doggies they hoped we would take home. Mummy loves animules but will not have one in the house. But was delighted to watch me making out on the floor with this chihuahua who licked my face on and on, then ate out my ear, etc etc. I want a doggie.
  9. Raise u one, & see u in Puerto Vallarta. Whenever I read Sullivan instead of Signorile I find my mentational organ (such as it is) humming to me, "...if I ooonly had a brain!"
  10. This is too beautiful. So -- what office is he positioning to run for?
  11. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in Politics
    Well, I am all ears. What do you think? I don't really want to know what you think about Nye on re-hearing, but what you think about the reasons why you first reacted that way to him and what he said. ...You can tell your Uncle Sigmund here. (Now I have to go search the Web for a Hr Dr Freud smiley.)
  12. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    So long as his tether to his oxygen concentrator holds tight he will ride it out. I and mine am from gristled old stock as he is. 'Backer and cotton-mill dust are only things can git us. Or coal dust and mine collapses, were we from up there in Sen. Byrd's demesne. Actually my great-great-grandfather was wearing a long-tailed topcoat during a visit to the cotton gin, turned his back to it, leaned over to pick something up, and got sucked up by his coattails into the contraption. But that was an extraordinary way to depart, even back then.
  13. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in Politics
    Just right on. Not centrally relevant here, but I say it anywhere there is the least Velcro to attach it to... The money spent saving Detroit not only saved Detroit, AND has been paid back, BUT ALSO saved shitloads of tier 1 and tier 2 and tier 3 (look it up) suppliers who would have drowned in the tsunami of Detroit's collapse. And that in turn would have deeply damaged buttloads of OEM (look it up again if you need to and can stand it ) manufacturers in other, non-auto industries that depend on those same suppliers for parts and subassemblies. So, saving the -- pretty shitty then, but now, remarkably, like a recovering addict, getting startlingly better, startlingly quickly -- U.S. car business turned out to be the right thing. To give fair due, GWB was speaking some months ago, and some partisan against the auto bailout asked about it from the audience during Q&A. W. to his credit said (from memory), "It was the right thing to do. Look how it came out. I'd do it again." He also said on another post-presidential occasion, defending the actions by Paulson and Bernanke and Geithner whom he wholeheartedly supported during the financial-system bailout, "You know, sometimes circumstances get in the way of philosophy."
  14. Thk u, TY. Imagine where Watergate would have gone had W & B followed today's brainless 24hr-spincycle "balanced" approach to news-gathering/spewing. It is, to repeat oneself, as Gertrude Stein said back in the mainly radio days of 1945: "We get so much information all day long that we've lost our common sense." And, now, our journalists with us.
  15. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in Politics
    Nye always seems to me profoundly sane, logical, and humane. hito, we can let several things go unsaid. But I too wonder about the deep reasons inside yourself for your reaction here. I really don't understand it at all.
  16. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in The Beer Bar
    Why not? If Bach could...
  17. The Delaware Court of Chancery is the mercy of many businesses incorporated there (wherever those companies do their actual dirty work) and knows what it is doing. Why -- addressed to the legal beagles here -- can't more companies get their substantive cases heard in like courts of truly competent jurisdiction? How did this hairy thing fall into the lap of a lay jury in the first place? Please pardon, and remedy, my ignorance.
  18. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in Politics
    i know u were responding to MsGuy. Still: Speak for yourself.
  19. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in Politics
    Hm. So much for Pat Robertson. Raleigh is about to be regaled by The Amazing Kreskin... http://www.newsobser...rylink=misearch ...maybe he could be their substitute savior.
  20. Thx for the recog. Said it here before, but again: like living in the age of da Gama and Magellan. Or, even more (Clarke upward swell), something close to when we first crawled out of the briny shallows onto dry land. I was only 9 years old. Nonetheless, suspect 20 July 1969 will not ever be surpassed as the intellectual emotional high point of my life. Armstrong's 'privileged' is so profoundly the right word.
  21. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in Politics
    Possibly the most elegantly I have ever been got. I wish I had said that, James...
  22. "Looking back, we were really very privileged to live in that thin slice of history where we changed how man looks at himself and what he might become and where he might go," Armstrong said. Hard to say it any better. http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1 Wonderful piece on the SEALs who secured the splashed-down capsule: http://lightyears.bl...apollo-11-home/ Sure to be much more in the next days. P.S. Great photo spread: http://life.time.com/history/photos-up-close-with-apollo-11/#1
  23. AdamSmith replied to a post in a topic in Politics
    Now we are going to have to have an argument again. MsGuy can be our debate judge.
  24. How completely perfect. Somebody there gets it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.