Everything posted by AdamSmith
-
Jonathan Frid, the original Barnabas Collins, dies at 87
Lara Parker's (Angelique) reminiscence... http://laraparkersite.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/jonathan-frid.html?m=1 And from Kathryn Leigh Scott (Maggie Evans)... http://www.kathrynleighscott.com/?p=2190
-
Matt Damon wants to kiss GWB
Dick Gephardt remarked that GWB was not unintelligent, just "the most un-curious person I ever met." ...maybe even a bit more charitable than what James Baker III answered when asked if GWB had any core beliefs: "Yes -- God and exercise."
-
Matt Damon wants to kiss GWB
One suspects GWB would be the bottom. Remember Condi's hint about the presidential endowment...
-
A Glass of Wine Please
That would place my doctor in the vicinity of Alpha Centauri.
-
A Glass of Wine Please
What is the Pope doing on here?!
-
Jonathan Frid, the original Barnabas Collins, dies at 87
Warm reflections on Frid and Dark Shadows by William J. Mann... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/william-j-mann/jonathan-frid_b_1438196.html
-
Zac OOPS I Did it Again Efron
FourAces, we may be agreeing with each other? Your post about it def being Photoshopped made me think: did AK find it amusing to engineer the "leak" of this whole string of photos? First the tease poses, then the (faked) reveal shot, then the "whoops" modesty-towel pics. Too many cute coincidences in that visual narrative.
-
Zac OOPS I Did it Again Efron
Back to the pix for a moment. Given the coy choreography of the whole series -- could it be that we've been punked?
-
Word of the Day: xenophilia
I confess I had never before conceived of this as a paraphilia. But count me in!
-
Jonathan Frid, the original Barnabas Collins, dies at 87
Pity. Frid so wanted to see the new movie. He seemed spry as ever at the DS Festival last August. RIP
-
America’s Nine Most Damaged Brands
Charlie, your riff on La Fiorina is dead-on. She was a hard-charging (as the bidness writers say especially of women) Lucent sales exec who was Peter Principled to the max when she was hired to run HP. She was much more than just a scapegoat for how it lost its way in several regards under her. During a good bit of her tenure, half of all HP's profits came from -- ready? -- toner cartridges. Nice work if you can get it. But then there is this thing called the future. As for the pile of cash she squandered buying Compaq, the only beneficiaries I know of were her and Compaq CEO Mike Capellas, both of whom received handsome "completion bonuses" for getting the deal done. And so on and so forth and so on.
-
For you Proper English lovers. . .
"Center around" is as annoying, and as ubiquitous, as the misuse of "comprise" for "compose" and vice versa. Even many periodicals that supposedly employ copy editors seem rife with that gaffe.
-
Star Wars online gamers can now be gay
...Declare their online characters as gay, that is. The Guardian has its usual rip-roaring snortle over the resulting rightist uproar... http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/sikswNibDWduuj41C1_S3Xg/view.m?id=15&gid=commentisfree/2012/apr/15/charlie-brooker-gay-video-game&cat=most-read
-
WOW - Amazing San Francisco photo from last night
That was the joke. Such as it was.
-
WOW - Amazing San Francisco photo from last night
Electrifying. Hair-raising. Conducive.
-
I Have Thirty Three Million In My Checking Account!!!
Schlumberger is headquartered in the Netherlands Antilles. ... Just a random observation.
-
For you Proper English lovers. . .
NP! Cf. your "twink sandwich" observation some time back. Who (not "whom" ) do ye think was in the middle? P.S. Hitoallusa, you're invited too! ... Choose your position carefully; this is becoming a club sandwich.
-
Barbie and Ken behind closed doors
Think I saw one on the waterfront in Laguna Beach, back in 2008. But no recall of name or where. Try Googling; it's the kind of merchandise that is so appealing and enjoyable to see in person that there are bound to be some physical stores left.
-
For you Proper English lovers. . .
P.S. We will not speak of that stillbirth known as The Chicago Manual of Style.
-
For you Proper English lovers. . .
Actually I jumped Charlie. Care to join me?
-
For you Proper English lovers. . .
Likewise. In high school editing the newspaper, then in several jobs editing others' writing, I have followed a hodgepodge of the style books of AP, NYT and WSJ (and sometimes, for archness and just plain fun, The Economist). But my prime directive has always been: does it sound right? E.g., Richard Lederer points out that "don't split the participle" is a rule from Latin, where it makes sense, that got dragged into English for no good reason. I was glad to read that, as I had detested that rule forever, and had been ignoring it ever since I could get away with it.
-
For you Proper English lovers. . .
Madam, that is the sort of thing up with which I will not put. "Proper English lovers" is ambiguous but not technically erroneous, surely? A hyphen between "proper" and "English" would remove the ambiguity but then we would have to answer to Fowler's well considered diatribe against all but the most essential use of what he termed that "regrettable necessity."
-
Classic American Cars
TY, love the Ford reminiscence. My father's first job was mechanic in his brother's garage shop. He idolized the great designer Harley Earl, so he loved to say he would rather push a Buick than drive anything else. My first car was a '67 Mustang that had been rescued from the junkyard (ditched due to cracked block) and its 289 engine replaced with a rebuilt 302. (Such a car, like NYC perhaps , should not be handed to the unready.) That was in 1976, by which time papa had sadly passed on. So there were no great fights about abandoning the GM fold. Re body styling constraints today, yep, aerodynamics is huge determinant of fuel efficiency, second only to efficiency of powertrain itself. On the other hand, a couple of industrial designers I know seem to view this as just another worthy challenge. Never thought I would be saying this, but some of the skin coming out of both Ford and GM today looks pretty good.
-
Barbie and Ken behind closed doors
Look in on a hobby shop that caters to dollhouse aficionados. Fascinating all the tiny furniture, props, architectural details, etc. I used to do model railroading and I thought we were nuts, but the dollhousers put us to shame.
-
Barbie and Ken behind closed doors
ROFL "...Roy tells his bud that their marriage was a failure 'Cause neither he nor Babs have any genitalia." -- from "The Groove Tube," rap number with poses of Barbie (Babs) and Ken (Roy) going through courtship, marriage, divorce, finally standing nekked as described. (Note to self: buy DVDs of Groove Tube and Tunnelvision.)