Everything posted by AdamSmith
-
Who Cares What Kirk Cameron Thinks About Gays?
Even Hasselbeck parted from him on the substance. Although she then picked up his line about free speech etc. Will be interesting to see how both Kirk and Rush fare with their First Amendment defense/excuse. Yeah, even hate speech is protected so long as it does not seek to incite violence (legal beagles, is that about right?). But gratifying to see them now having to take just as they gave, in the public discourse.
-
Super Tuesday Live Map of results
The Guardian does its usual accurate drollery with today's headline... Super Tuesday: Republicans fail to awake from their nightmare ...and summary of what yesterday did, and didn't, mean: http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/sOB0h8dyo_QJ_ev4Q2pP53Q/view.m?id=15&gid=world/2012/mar/07/super-tuesday-republicans-mitt-romney&cat=world
-
Super Tuesday Live Map of results
Well, as pundits have observed, Newt and Paul will stay in as long as they get paid to do so, each having one extremely affluent backer. Can't recall, but is there also one particular fat cat behind Santorum?
-
Another fucking christian-right hypocrite.
Leviticus is a hoot, ain't it? Another larf riot is Deuteronomy. E.g.: He that is wounded in the stones or hath his privy member cut off shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord. ...and other such pleasant advisories.
-
Gingrich wins Georgia
They may get their rewards in heaven. (We can hope!) Fortunately their own behavior is ensuring they will not get them in the general election.
-
"Game Change" on HBO March 10
Hito, interesting. The book seemed, to me, to x-ray all the campaigns about equally fairly. In what ways did it seem unbalanced to you? Too favorable to Obama? Other ways?
-
Caption This!
ROFLMAO Hito, that is the most uproarious thing that you or anybody have said on here in a long time!
-
"Game Change" on HBO March 10
So the TV flick focuses on Palin and the McCain campaign. I can see why. But it would be great to see a multi-part movie that does justice to all parts of that really good book -- not only McCain/Palin but also the Hillary-v-Barack war, and then the national campaign. Would also love to see someone make a good movie of Paulson's riveting book.
-
Fucking Rush Limbaugh Up the ASS: could not happen to a nicer man
Shocked, shocked, EXPAT! Poor man has bills to pay. The deeper under cover you have to keep your habit, the more expensive it gets. ... cf. Spitzer, Eliot. Client 9 paid more than 15 times what I do for a pop from a girl, hoping for some extra security thereby. (Oh, well.)
-
New Yorker hit the spot this week
ROFL. And thank goodness they omitted the you-know-what trailing out behind. ...Wonder if that was in the original draft? I read that The New Yorker has cartoon editors for both captions and graphics.
-
Fucking Rush Limbaugh Up the ASS: could not happen to a nicer man
Her being part of Everybody Loves Raymond, for a start. ...I will now prepare to dodge people's brickbats. But honestly...
-
WTF Mass, how is Warren not a shoe-in over empty suit Brown?
TY is right. Especially after the Dem debacle that gave Brown his opening last time around -- namely rival Martha Coakley expecting to coast to her coronation. Haunted by that lesson, Warren and party can be expected to fight like dogs, as Brown, I grudge to say to his credit, did then.
-
This may blow your mind
MsGuy! A fellow traveler, Order of Dagon? (apologies in advance for the following hijack...) You will doubtless have seen the web is rife with Lovecraft takeoff ditties like this one. I compiled a long list and sent it as an e-card at Xmas to a longtime friend who is an HPL fanatic. He it was who dragged me to several Lovecraft festivals held early '90s in Providence, RI, Lovecraft's home town. A weekend affair, this so-called NecronomiCon (what else?) culminated Sunday morning with a Cthulhu Prayer Breakfast presided over by one Robert Price, a defrocked Christian minister and Lovecraft scholar. High point was his leading us in song, to the tune of "Jesus loves the little children": Cthulhu eats the little children...
-
This may blow your mind
A shoggoth! ...if not Great Cthulhu himself?
-
Baseball, Boys & Phoenix
Time-honored tradition! I must have wrung 30 or 40 posts out of that long Wallace Stevens poem. Not counting the side excursions into spittoons and so forth. I owe his estate a royalty check, I suppose.
-
New Clients
Welcome! Do you have a profile on this site, or an ad anywhere?
-
Fucking Rush Limbaugh Up the ASS: could not happen to a nicer man
Money talks. Its flight also looks to be giving at least a little spine to at least some Repub politicians, who until now dared not cross The Blimp. Also electoral pressures: Scott Brown's tight Senate race in MA drove him to be the first Repub to speak out, tweeting "reprehensible" about Rush's spew. Could this become a replay of the downfall of McCarthy? Once the first blow connects, the deflation can sometimes be swift. Sorry, can't copy/paste the text on my phone, but if interested, scroll down to paragraph 15 in this obit of Senator Sam... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/watergate/stories/ervinobit.htm
-
Cloud-based data backup
OZ, thanks much. I will research it, but one thing: why the need for both iCloud and Dropbox together?
-
Not staying logged in
if the strategy is to confuse would-be intruders as much as it flummoxed me, it is indeed strong security. ... One is put in mind of the classic Python routine Confuse-a-Cat.
-
Cloud-based data backup
Know what you mean, EXPAT. Whole idea gave me the willies, UNTIL I got going on Salesforce.com. Whole viability of their business rests on their proposition of (1) no data loss, ever, and (2) bank-level account contents security against breach by others. Reasonably priced too. In 8 years I have not had one single solitary glitch from them. When I think of the blood, sweat and tears my former company poured into maintaining our ACT contact databases on our local server... Free at last, free at last! Now I want similar for all my data.
-
Cloud-based data backup
JK, thanks for that perspective. For now at least, business and personal data files from MS Office apps are my main interest. That, plus as you note removing my backup device/media from environmental risks of fire, sprinkler system, etc. You, or anyone, have recs among the competing services?
-
What Percentage of Posted Photos Appeal To You?
They taste better too.
-
Cloud-based data backup
As I reported in the laptop-vs-desktop thread, I let my laptop get stolen recently. That was the insult, but the injury was because I had grown lax in my data backup discipline. Now, a local backup device -- say, an Apple Time Machine -- would have been nifty. Except that was stolen too. Arghh. Putting aside questions of who I am foolish enough to let in my door, it occurred that my visitors would have had a hard time making off with Amazon's servers. So... Does anyone have experience or knowledge of the various hosted backup services out there? Mozy, iCloud, Dropbox, etc.? If this has been covered previously, just point me there. Many thanks.
-
Do U Use A Laptop Or Desktop?
Was about to hijack this thread entirely to the subject of backup tools/methods, but instead think I will now go start a new thread specifically on Cloud-Based Data Backup. See y'all there, I hope.
-
Do U Use A Laptop Or Desktop?
If JK did not say it enough: BACK UP!!! Last month my laptop was stolen right out of my apartment, while I was there no less. Friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend who turned out not to be. Stupid me for falling prey, but far stupider me for having fallen way behind on the backup regime. Hardware is merdeware compared with the data.