Everything posted by AdamSmith
-
Splitting Topics
Very seriously -- speaking as a professional journalist since age 17 -- you must not do that. Ban any contributor, certainly including me, if required. Insert moderator-deadly-banishment admonishments whenever required. Banish whom you wish. But any forum where mods edit contributors' posts then loses all credibility. [You will forgive me the following:] Canto III: The Gate of Hell[edit] Per me si va ne la città dolente, per me si va ne l'etterno dolore, per me si va tra la perduta gente. Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore: fecemi la divina potestate, la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore. Dinanzi a me non fuor cose create se non etterne, e io etterno duro. Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate. Through me you go to the grief wracked city; Through me you go to everlasting pain; Through me you go a pass among lost souls. Justice inspired my exalted Creator: I am a creature of the Holiest Power, of Wisdom in the Highest and of Primal Love. Nothing till I was made was made, only eternal beings. And I endure eternally. Abandon all hope — Ye Who Enter Here Variant translation: 'Through me the way to the suffering city; Through me the everlasting pain; Through me the way that runs among the Lost. Justice urged on my exalted Creator: Divine Power made me, The Supreme Wisdom and the Primal Love. Nothing was made before me but eternal things And I endure eternally. Abandon all hope - You Who Enter Here.' Variant Translation: 'I am the way into the city of woe. I am the way to a forsaken people. I am the way into eternal sorrow. Sacred justice moved my architect. I was raised here by divine omnipotence, primordial love and ultimate intellect. Only those elements time cannot wear are beyond me, and beyond time I stand. Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here.' Note: Full inscription on the top of the gate. This miserable measure the wretched souls maintain of those who lived without infamy and without praise. Mingled are they with that caitiff choir of the angels, who were not rebels, nor were faithful to God, but were for themselves. The heavens chased them out in order to be not less beautiful, nor doth the depth of Hell receive them, because the damned would have some glory from them. These have no hope of death... mercy and justice disdain them. Let us not speak of them, but do thou look and pass on. ...behind it came so long a train of folk, that I could never have believed death had undone so many. This way a good soul never passes... Abandon all hope, ye who enter here... https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Inferno_(Dante)
-
Your Daily Trump
Mike Pompeo is not stupid... We will all have to sit back, and see. The [very severe] economic sanctions do continue, until they give up their nuke capability. So all this public stagecraft by DJS is, essentially, content-free.
-
Splitting Topics
I don't want to put any Darth Vader impost into this topix. But Cooper's splitting my Organ Thread was why I finally harrumphed out from Over There. The mods have absolute right to shift content here; there or elsewhere. But when they dare tamper with content of a post series, then the site has lost all integrity.
-
RIP Anthony Bourdain
I have been homeless, and I differ. Most sublime period of my life, to date.
-
RIP Anthony Bourdain
Only thing I can think to post: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism I agree, deeply.
-
I’m HIV POSITIVE
Especially the virulently antibiotic-resistant strains that have emerged. And that seem to be getting into wider and wider circulation.
-
I’m HIV POSITIVE
Thank you, beyond saying. I think you have many, many here to thank for that. Your presence is so broadly, and deeply, appreciated. You give so much.
-
'Donald Trump was right. The rest of the G7 were wrong'
Extraordinarily prescient, on many planes. Donald Trump was right. The rest of the G7 were wrong George Monbiot In arguing for a sunset clause to the Nafta trade agreement, this odious man is exposing the corruption of liberal democracy https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/13/trump-nafta-g7-sunset-clause-trade-agreement
-
Bye Pancakes - Hello Burgers
Interestingly... hob1 häb/ noun 1. a flat metal shelf at the side or back of a fireplace, having its surface level with the top of the grate and used especially for heating pans. 2. a machine tool used for cutting gears or screw threads.
-
RIP Anthony Bourdain
At the risk of everything sacred... https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-french-chef/n8667
-
RIP Anthony Bourdain
I think I will put it on my tombstone.
-
The Organ
- Mister Rogers
- J.D. McClatchy, Poet of the Body, in Sickness and Health, Dies at 72
Development of self psychology[edit] In the aftermath of World War II and the Holocaust, Freudian analysis focused on individual guilt and tended not to reflect the new zeitgeist (the emotional interests and needs of people struggling with issues of identity, meaning, ideals, and self-expression).[6][page needed] Though he initially tried to remain true to the traditional analytic viewpoint with which he had become associated and viewed the self as separate but coexistent to the ego, Kohut later rejected Freud's structural theory of the id, ego, and superego. He then developed his ideas around what he called the tripartite (three-part) self.[7] According to Kohut, this three-part self can only develop when the needs of one's "self states", including one's sense of worth and well-being, are met in relationships with others. In contrast to traditional psychoanalysis, which focuses on drives (instinctual motivations of sex and aggression), internal conflicts, and fantasies, self psychology thus placed a great deal of emphasis on the vicissitudes of relationships. Kohut demonstrated his interest in how we develop our "sense of self" using narcissism as a model. If a person is narcissistic, it will allow him to suppress feelings of low self-esteem. By talking highly of himself, the person can eliminate his sense of worthlessness. Historical context[edit] Kohut expanded on his theory during the 1970s, a time in which aggressive individuality, overindulgence, greed, and restlessness left many people feeling empty, fragile, and fragmented.[7] Perhaps because of its positive, open, and empathic stance on human nature as a whole as well as the individual, self psychology is considered one of the "four psychologies" (the others being drive theory, ego psychology, and object relations); that is, one of the primary theories on which modern dynamic therapists and theorists rely. According to biographer Charles Strozier, "Kohut...may well have saved psychoanalysis from itself".[6][page needed] Without his focus on empathic relationships, dynamic theory might well have faded in comparison to one of the other major psychology orientations (which include humanism and cognitive behavioral therapy) that were being developed around the same time. Also according to Strozier, Kohut's book, The Analysis of the Self: A Systematic Analysis of the Treatment of the Narcissistic Personality Disorders,[8] "had a significant impact on the field by extending Freud's theory of narcissism and introducing what Kohut called the 'selfobject transferences' of mirroring and idealization". In other words, children need to idealize and emotionally "sink into" and identify with the idealized competence of admired figures. They also need to have their self-worth reflected back ("mirrored" Note : This term isn't a synonym of "mirroring") by empathic and caregiving others. These experiences allow them to thereby learn the self-soothing and other skills that are necessary for the development of a healthy (cohesive, vigorous) sense of self. For example, therapists become the idealized parent and through transference the patient begins to get the things he has missed. The patient also has the opportunity to reflect on how early the troubling relationship led to personality problems. Narcissism arises from poor attachment at an early age. Freud also believed that narcissism hides low self-esteem, and that therapy will reparent them through transference and they begin to get the things they missed. Later, Kohut added the third major selfobject theme (and he dropped the hyphen in selfobject) of alter-ego/twinship, the theme of being part of a larger human identification with others. Though dynamic theory tends to place emphasis on childhood development, Kohut believed that the need for such selfobject relationships does not end at childhood but continues throughout all stages of a person's life.[9] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_Kohut- J.D. McClatchy, Poet of the Body, in Sickness and Health, Dies at 72
To make the point linguistically, my analyst always prounounced it 'Jale.' With the hard 'J.' He was in turn equally hilarious/ironic about traditional Jewish/Hebrew shibboleths. And, critically, my own as well. He taught me to distrust everything -- and then in turn, with a little bit of self-knowledge, to trust everything. He was really something. His own training analyst, from whom he learned very much: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinz_Kohut- Dear Trump Supporters
That comment is too stupid to respond to. Please forgive me for rising to the bait.- RIP Anthony Bourdain
I thought, to the contrary, that @RockHard was supporting Bourdain's choice.- RIP Anthony Bourdain
To differ: I think @RockHard is saying He Has Had Enough of It. At age 58, I certainly have. Now, when software companies that I write about entreat me to fly, on their nickel, to the infinitely desirous environs of Las Vegas or, mirable dictu, Orlando -- I can reply: 'I cannot travel any more. I have a duty of parental eldercare. I will have to cover your pronunciamentos via your Internet publications, from my home desk here in Raleigh NC.' I get ten times more done that way than my competitors.- Dear Trump Supporters
Just for one, appointing Supreme Court justices who will undermine every class/race/economic stride toward equality. See one Gorsuch, Neil, in his votes to date.- Dear Trump Supporters
Agree. 'American exceptionalism' has only too often been American thuggery. The US deposing, in 1953, Prime Minister Mohammad Mosaddegh, the democratically elected leader of Iran, in order to install our puppet the Shah of Iran. Who was certainly no saint. The Bay of Pigs. Vietnam. On and on and on. I do believe in American Exceptionalism. I also believe we as a polis are deeply fallible. (And subject to a very great deal of unearned self-righteousness. As the present moment reveals.) Finally, I have faith that the Framers bound into the Constitution the ultimate mechanisms, and freedoms, that will let us emerge from our current, admittedly very dark, chapter into again a time when we are a [no longer 'the' -- maybe a very good thing] leader of the free world.- J.D. McClatchy, Poet of the Body, in Sickness and Health, Dies at 72
How my Harvard-trained Jewish psychoanalyst liked to pronounce it. In the Yiddish idiom.- Charles Kauthammer pens final column
I loathe his politics. But I admire absolutely his personal integrity, every moment of his life, through (and beyond?) now. We need more like him.- J.D. McClatchy, Poet of the Body, in Sickness and Health, Dies at 72
My undergraduate thesis advisor at Jale. A great soul and intellect. RIP. J.D. McClatchy, Poet of the Body, in Sickness and Health, Dies at 72- RIP Anthony Bourdain
- The great Patti Smith
- Mister Rogers
Account
Navigation
Search
Configure browser push notifications
Chrome (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions → Notifications.
- Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Select Site settings.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Safari (iOS 16.4+)
- Ensure the site is installed via Add to Home Screen.
- Open Settings App → Notifications.
- Find your app name and adjust your preference.
Safari (macOS)
- Go to Safari → Preferences.
- Click the Websites tab.
- Select Notifications in the sidebar.
- Find this website and adjust your preference.
Edge (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Edge (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Click Permissions for this site.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Android)
- Go to Settings → Site permissions.
- Tap Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Desktop)
- Open Firefox Settings.
- Search for Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.