July 19, 20197 yr New phone package. here opted for 8 GB data- figured that would be plenty since I never do YouTube or streaming. All used up by halfway through the month. Looked up my usage and see Grindr has used 6.7 GB of my data. Wow I didn't realize it was so hungry for data for all those ad bots.
July 19, 20197 yr That is very odd. I used it often and in USA, Canada and Thailand and when traveling, over 30 times a day and never got over 2 G for the entire month for all data and I use a lot. I wonder what the settings are on the phone?
July 19, 20197 yr It seems that this is not uncommon: https://grindr.uservoice.com/forums/912631-grindr-feature-requests/suggestions/35883907-reduce-data-consumption
July 19, 20197 yr Interesting. Thanks. Isn't this the company owned by the Chinese? Are they spying on us (gay people)?
July 19, 20197 yr keep your data quota unused by going to, say , Screwboys, order 300 baht drink and enjoy what you see on the scene.
July 19, 20197 yr 7 hours ago, Michael said: Interesting. Thanks. Isn't this the company owned by the Chinese? Are they spying on us (gay people)? Somehow I think you're having a dig at the Trump regime policy here....... Fair enough. As for data, Grindr is one of my higher data users, however I get absolutely nowhere near 6.7GB Probably under a tenth of that. I do use the hotel wifi when there and since there are only so many boys one can take, I don't spend all day on grindr.
July 20, 20197 yr 16 hours ago, Michael said: Isn't this the company owned by the Chinese? Yes, but they have been forced to sell by the US authorities which have declared it a national security risk!! Not sure when the sale will go through or if there is a buyer yet. When I find the apps use up too much of my phone memory, I delete them and then reinstall with the same log in name and password. This keeps all the data but gets rid of all the rubbish!
July 20, 20197 yr 2 hours ago, PeterRS said: When I find the apps use up too much of my phone memory, I delete them and then reinstall with the same log in name and password. This keeps all the data but gets rid of all the rubbish! Sorry. Can you explain this one?
July 20, 20197 yr Im sorry I cannot explain anything to do with technology. I mentioned to a friend about 3 years ago that my iPad memory was getting full. He asked what apps I used. Then it was mostly Jackd. It was he who advised me to delete the app and then reinstall. All I know is that it certainly freed up quite a bit of memory space whilst keeping my data. I have since done it again with the same result.
July 21, 20197 yr iPad users can free up memory by the following method: 1. Go to Settings 2. Select "Safari" 3. Select "Clear History and Website data" 4. Select "Clear" Phones have similar methods.
July 24, 20197 yr Author since I am stuck for two more months with 8GB/month (+ 3GB top up already gone ) is Grindr accessible through wi-fi? Never set up my wi-fi here yet and leave Friday.
July 28, 20197 yr Author Finally got my phone to hook up to WiFi (hard reset - toggle WiFi off then on again). Too many uninteresting messages coming in . Wow some of these guys pay for premium .in BKK got message from Pattaya a done 18 miles away. Mostly looking for a bar stunner though.
July 29, 20197 yr On 7/24/2019 at 3:17 PM, t0oL1 said: is Grindr accessible through wi-fi? I suppose the username is very appropriate. Are we all being had here ? So many posts but so little processing power. You would have to make this up, as it cannot be for real.
June 12, 20215 yr On 7/19/2019 at 5:43 AM, t0oL1 said: New phone package. here opted for 8 GB data- figured that would be plenty since I never do YouTube or streaming. All used up by halfway through the month. Looked up my usage and see Grindr has used 6.7 GB of my data. Wow I didn't realize it was so hungry for data for all those ad bots. So much of the data depletion in your smartphone data plan comes from the digital (banner) ads not only on Grindr but any other app or website that you visit and uses data to show you Advertising. It helps A LOT if you install an Ad Blocking App on your phone. It helps a lot if you go to control settings and deactivate any functionality that uses a significant amount of data, such as Chat Backup. Also, within Control Settings of your Smartphone change these settings to: Location -> While Using. Notifications -> Off Background App Refresh -> Off.
June 12, 20215 yr The only time I've had a data consumption problem was in Thailand, before I discovered some more interesting data packages. However, Hornet was much worse than Grindr for data use, despite me using Grindr much more than Hornet & getting more results on Grindr. I'm not sure why, but Hornet does seem quite keen on refreshing the screen with high res images. And 30 second ads. I actually e-mailed the Hornet helpdesk regarding excess data consumption compared with other apps, but they were not much use.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.