January 31, 200917 yr Active Members Tampa I don’t know about you BUT I am a certified BARBECUE FREAK. I plead guilty in the extreme. I am most particularly a fan of Texas Barbecue. If you ever find yourself in the hill country of Texas between San Antonio and Austin here are a few places you MUST visit. Artz Rib House â€â€œ Austin Chicken, pork ribs, and beef ribs are all excellent Black’s Barbecue â€â€œ Lockhart Great beef ribs City Market â€â€œ Luling No plates and no forks. Old fashioned barbecue served on butcher paper. Eat with your hands. Cooper’s Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que â€â€œ Llano Fantastic beef ribs and top sirloin Kreuz Market â€â€œ Lockhart Believe it or not barbecued prime rib Louis Mueller Barbeque â€â€œ Taylor Probably the best brisket I’ve ever eaten I have heard about all of these on the Foodnetwork. Would love to make the tour. I draw the line at eating with hands though. Momma didn't allow that. Guess I'll have to bring my own silverware and endure the cat calls. I was raised in the Southeast more in the Memphis BBQ tradition. The marriage of pork with hickory in a low and slow ceremony makes for some of the best eating man has created, IMO. I have to cook my own to keep my craving satisfied. I also love beef licked by the heat of wood coals. However, I have yet to taste real Texas Beef BBQ. I've tried to do brisket myself but i'm just not set up to cook it in the whole and for 12 hours or so. That is really necessary to do it right. As long as we are talking southern meats, I confess to being a big fan of country ham, especially KY and TN country hams. Country ham, red-eye gravy and hot biscuits with peach preserves turn any breakfast into a food orgy, or any other meal for that matter. BTW, for those travelling to MTL try the Montreal Smoked Meat. It is brisket prepared sort of in the style of a cross between corned beef and pastrami with some smoke. Delicious!! For the best see Schwartz's Deli (no frills), 3895 Saint-Laurent Boul, (514) 842-4813, http://www.schwartzsdeli.com . Thanks to firecat for cluing me in. Come early, the lines are long.
January 8, 201115 yr Update -- The Economist just published this remarkably enlightened piece on BBQ: http://www.economist.com/node/17722664 It's only 10 in the morning and already I want some.
January 8, 201115 yr Active Members AS and I have had the MEM BBQ vs. NC BBQ discussion before. I think we agreed to tolerate but not necessarily agree about the other's viewpoint. Beef is fine but "real" BBQ is pork. MEM BBQ is kind of like sex, the best is very, very good and the worst is still pretty good. Personally I prefer the pork shoulder but ribs can be good, too. I won't bore you with a list of places to go because most any outlet will do. Otherwise, I eat breakfast at the WH about once a month when a friend of mine is in town. Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger is interesting. But, when I crave one, I usually just cook one. I spent so many days and nights out of town early in my career, that I really don't care to eat out any more except when a friend wants to do so. Best regards, RA1
January 8, 201115 yr Active Members I like Wendy's. Have never understood the popularity of In and Out, would take Wendy's or Fatburger over them any time. Not quite Fast Food, but Denny's has a surprisingly good burger, available on wheat bun with fruit side instead of fries.
January 8, 201115 yr I like Wendy's. Have never understood the popularity of In and Out, would take Wendy's or Fatburger over them any time. Not quite Fast Food, but Denny's has a surprisingly good burger, available on wheat bun with fruit side instead of fries. IN AND OUT - Thats what a hamburger is all about While this is a old thread I do have to give a huge thumbs up as a professional fast food eater to In and Out. In fact, they are coming to Dallas ... will be opened next month YUM! Wendys is OK it just depends on how freshly made your food is. They use a microwave nearly as often as Burger King to heat up old food I never been a huge fan of Fatburger but it is not like they are awful either. Here in the south Whataburger is pretty good. For Subs I used to like Subway but now lean more toward Jimmy Johns. Lastly Five Guys makes awesome burgers and fresh fries.
January 9, 201115 yr Active Members Haven't been doing much fast food until a couple months ago when a friend mentioned KFC's Double Down. I've been back twice and am ready again. Coleslaw and milk make it my big meal of the day. If I lived in Memphis or Austin or Kansas City I'm sure I'd eat barbecue every day, Thankgiving and Christmas included. I don't know of any good barbecue in Northern California. And deep dish pizza when in Chicago. And Philly cheese steaks! I wonder if this was the best thread for me to be reading just after the evening bowl and right before dinner.
January 9, 201115 yr Active Members At this time in my life I regard BBQ about the same as sex with an SO and that is so long as you know it is there, you don't have to have it 3 times a day. I probably eat BBQ less often that once a month but I could still get some tonight. Fortunately, I DO require sex more than once a month. Best regards, RA1
January 9, 201115 yr "Lastly Five Guys makes awesome burgers and fresh fries." Five Guys came first to my mind. I had the chance to try them on the road between Tampa and Orlando. Very good quality and value. Big tasty burgers even for their standard size. Old Dixie fried chicken is white trash trailer park good. As for BBQ, Lookin, I think Baby Blues Barbecue is not bad BBQ for San Francisco. And finally, there's a craving I have every few months for onion rings and a double whopper with cheese at Burger King. As Cazwell says, "I seen Beyonce at Burger King she ordered two cheese burgers with onion rings. She got a chocolate shake and a side of fries, chicken strips with apple pie...."
January 9, 201115 yr Author Traveling around the world a lot makes finding good BBQ IMPOSSIBLE. I am a southern boy and I love my BBQ. But, there is no place like Memphis, TN. IMHO
January 9, 201115 yr Active Members In Thailand you will find me each afternoon having fries and a Coke at McDonald's. I don't like their burgers though, picking Ruby's or Red Robin for that. (Not in Thialand, of course.) And beef barbecue? Not a chance.
January 9, 201115 yr My favorite fast food place is Yo Sushi in London. I love that place. I just wish they were in Southern California.
January 9, 201115 yr Active Members I like Five Guys better than In and Out, but would put The Habit above both of them.
January 9, 201115 yr I'd vote for Red Robin - their cheeseburger made with blue cheese is to die for.
January 9, 201115 yr Active Members Agree with Jason Carter- Canes has the best chicken fingers! Other favorites include: Fazoli's (italian) Chipolte, and Pollo Tropical. For drunken eats after the clubs close I like Miami Subs or Steak & Shake.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.