March 21, 201313 yr This is the new International trailer. This is the best one yet. I can't wait to see this on IMAX 3D:
March 21, 201313 yr Boy that looks awesome... Not sure why the instigator in the movie is so powerful and evil so that the protagonist looks like a great hero. The plot seems too simple to me..
March 22, 201313 yr Active Members It looks like the villain is being played by Benedict Cumberbatch of recent Sherlock Holmes fame. I really liked him in Sherlock and recently saw him in HBO's Parades End. I should be exciting to see him play such a meaty role.
March 23, 201313 yr Active Members How is Parade's end? I fucking LOVE me some Sherlock, but can't get interested in Parade's End from the trailers... I agree this trailer looks amazing. It's interesting that the bad guy seems to be just a rouge agent... we'll see.
March 24, 201313 yr Active Members How is Parade's end? I fucking LOVE me some Sherlock, but can't get interested in Parade's End from the trailers... I agree this trailer looks amazing. It's interesting that the bad guy seems to be just a rouge agent... we'll see. I liked it enough to watch it all. Bit of a mixed bag. Tedious at times, but if you enjoyed Downton Abby you will probably enjoy this but not as much.
March 24, 201313 yr For all of you Star Trek fans, Hulu is celebrating the upcoming release of "Into Darkness" by making available every single Star Trek episode from every Star Trek series for free through the end of April. I'm watching one of my favorite Star Trek Voyager episodes, "Dark Frontier" right now. The Borg were always my favorite villain.
May 16, 201313 yr Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!! Great movie. Saw it in IMAX today. I highly recommended it. My first bit of relaxation with my brother in over 6 weeks.
May 16, 201313 yr Good you got out. And good to hear you thought the flick was good. Thx for the rec.
May 16, 201313 yr I too wanted to chime in on this movie. I will preface my comments with this: I am a watcher of the original series and Next Generation tv series. I have seen some, but not all of the original version movies. I am a fan, but not by any means, a Trekkie. Now, on to my comments/review: WOW Great summer action/blockbuster movie. I saw it in IMAX 3D and thought it was great. The storyline was good. The acting was good. The special effects were outstanding. I went into it without knowing much about the storyline/plot. There were enough "inside jokes" for the fans to enjoy, but also enough explanation for the unfamiliar to enjoy the story without getting lost. Zachery Quinto did a great job as Spock. Chris Pines (with the amazing blue eyes) was the forever womanizing Capt Kirk. And for those who have to have a little twink eye candy, there is Anton Yelchin as Chekov.
May 17, 201313 yr I loved the Next Generation series... My favorite characters were Captain Picard Deana Troy, the counselor of the Enterpirse.. I have always wondered why the captain was single... It didn't seem right for him to sleep alone at night.. He needs some a wife.. I was envy of Deana's confidence and her beauty. Even aliens paid homage her prettiness.. Since I don't have time to see this movie, I read the plot in Wikipedia... Very interesting..
May 17, 201313 yr Never was a fan of this series. I liked the second film the wrath of Khan. Haven't seen the one that came b4 this one. I do think chris pine is hot. I remember years ago when his dad was on the series Chips
May 20, 201313 yr Active Members I too wanted to chime in on this movie. I will preface my comments with this: I am a watcher of the original series and Next Generation tv series. I have seen some, but not all of the original version movies. I am a fan, but not by any means, a Trekkie. Now, on to my comments/review: WOW Great summer action/blockbuster movie. I saw it in IMAX 3D and thought it was great. The storyline was good. The acting was good. The special effects were outstanding. I went into it without knowing much about the storyline/plot. There were enough "inside jokes" for the fans to enjoy, but also enough explanation for the unfamiliar to enjoy the story without getting lost. Zachery Quinto did a great job as Spock. Chris Pines (with the amazing blue eyes) was the forever womanizing Capt Kirk. And for those who have to have a little twink eye candy, there is Anton Yelchin as Chekov. Because you are not a Trekkie I wonder what you would have said had you really, really liked this movie or were a Trekkie?. I was a big fan of the original TV series, a mild fan of some of the early movies, did not watch or much enjoy the succeeding TV series and have only seen one movie since. I may go to this one if it doesn't go away before I get around to it. Best regards, RA1
May 20, 201313 yr Active Members I was a big fan of the original TV series, a mild fan of some of the early movies, did not watch or much enjoy the succeeding TV series and have only seen one movie since. I may go to this one if it doesn't go away before I get around to it. Pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I'll definitely see this new one, most likely when it comes on demand TV. I was a big fan of the Next Generation when it came out but for some reason I don't enjoy the re-runs. Perhaps it was just the thrill of Star Trek being back on TV at the time. The original still holds up for the most part for me when I watch those re-runs.
May 20, 201313 yr Active Members I really enjoyed this one too, more than the first JJ Abrams Star Trek. It's damn good. And lurker forgot to mention Benedict Cumberbatch as additional eye candy.
May 20, 201313 yr Active Members Pretty much sums up my feelings as well. I'll definitely see this new one, most likely when it comes on demand TV. I was a big fan of the Next Generation when it came out but for some reason I don't enjoy the re-runs. Perhaps it was just the thrill of Star Trek being back on TV at the time. The original still holds up for the most part for me when I watch those re-runs. We have to get together for a drink. Best regards, RA1
May 20, 201313 yr We have to get together for a drink. Best regards, RA1 A galaxy of choices: http://uss-marathon.bluefirestorm.net/index.php?page=database&entry=92
May 20, 201313 yr P.S. Terminology... Trekkie vs. Trekker Trekkie is "frequently depreciative",%5B44%5D thus, "not an acceptable term to serious fans",%5B45%5D who prefer Trekker. The distinction existed as early as May 1970, when the editor of fanzine Deck 6 wrote: ...when I start acting like a bubble-headed trekkie (rather than a sober, dignified—albeit enthusiastic—trekker).%5B2%5D:4%5B46%5D By 1976, media reports on Star Trek conventions acknowledged the two types of fans:%5B47%5D One Trekkie came by and felt compelled to explain, while paying for his Mr. Spock computer image, that he was actually a Trekker (a rational fan). Whereas, he said, a Trekkie worships anything connected with Star Trek and would sell his or her mother for a pair of Spock ears.%5B28%5D In the 1991 TV show Star Trek: 25th Anniversary Special, Leonard Nimoy attempted to settle the issue by stating that the term 'Trekker' is the preferred term; during an appearance on Saturday Night Live to promote the 2009 Star Trek film, Nimoy—seeking to assure Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto, the "new" Kirk and Spock, that most fans would embrace them—initially referred to "Trekkies" before correcting himself and saying "Trekkers", emphasizing the second syllable.%5B48%5D In the documentary Trekkies, Kate Mulgrew stated that Trekkers are the ones "walking with us" while the Trekkies are the ones content to simply sit and watch Star Trek. According to Stewart, the actors dislike being called Trekkies and are careful to distinguish between themselves and the Trekkie audience.%5B49%5D The issue is also shown in the film Trekkies 2, in which a Star Trek fan recounts a supposed incident during a Star Trek convention where Gene Roddenberry used the term "trekkies" to describe fans of the show, only to be corrected by a fan that stood up and yelled "Trekkers!" Gene Roddenberry allegedly responded with "No, it's 'Trekkies.' I should know — I invented the thing." Other fans[who?] have recounted a tale that the term "Trekkies" was the original term that was adopted with the first Star Trek convention in 1972. However, by the second convention so many people had "jumped on the bandwagon" that the fans present at the second convention adopted the term "Trekkers" in order to distinguish themselves as the true fans, versus the fad fans who continued to use the term "Trekkies"[citation needed]. Another theory on the Trekkie vs. Trekker is that the term "Trekkie" is reserved for fans of the original Star Trek cast only (show and movies), whereas "Trekker" is a fan of all Star Trek fandom[citation needed]. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trekkie#Trekkie_vs._Trekker
May 20, 201313 yr Active Members Now I am more confused than ever if I should refer to myself as a Trekkie or Trekker, lol. On one hand, one should never dispute Roddenberry but on the other hand I would never argue with Nimoy. The debate continues.....
May 20, 201313 yr Active Members A galaxy of choices: http://uss-marathon.bluefirestorm.net/index.php?page=database&entry=92 I'll buy the first round
May 20, 201313 yr Active Members I am perfectly willing to let Majel Barrett. nurse Chapel and wife of Gene Roddenbury, be the determiner of whatever. I have heard an interview with her recently but I am afraid that she has passed on recently. Therefore, I think that AS and wayout and I should meet at a likely venue and raise our glasses to her and all the others we have enjoyed on these various programs/movies. Anyone else so inclined is also welcomed. Best regards, RA1
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.