Guest Qualityonly

Living in Thailand ,do you get lonely?

Guest Qualityonly

I know a few of you dont have or want boyfriends and live alone.

Many of you are older guys so your parents in most cases have passed away.

Even if you have brothers and sisters overseas it can dtill get lonely here if you dont have someone to love or be loved by someone, do you agree ?

So some of you live alone here in Thailand, maybe in Pattaya, are you happy about that?

Do you get lonely without someone to care for,or care for you?

Do you choose to live alone?

If you live alone what do you do during the day to keep occupied?

Guest ryanasia

Many foreigners do get lonely in Thailand. I don't myself as I have a western partner and we get along very well. If I didn't have a partner i could speak to easily about everything I think it would be hard for me to live here.

Seems to me to be a question that will be answered by the type of individual. If you were a needy person in your home country and always needed family or friends then of course you will be lonely in Thailand.

If you were an adventurous  person in your home country and had no problem going out alone then you are likely to have no problem anyplace you choose to move.

Guest ryanasia

Not so sure it is that simple. An adventurous person in their home country still has many more social opportunities back home than here. I am rather adventurous but when I was living in Laos felt lonely because there isn't really anybody to talk to. Many adventurous people are social butterflies. If your only friends are boys or other mongers loneliness it common in Thailand I think. 

The people here for two weeks with their boy toys are unlikely to experience this. Come live here when you can't afford to buy attention everyday and it isn't hard to get a bit lonely at times. compound this with the fact many people you are likely to meet are here short term same as any resort place. You can get a feeling of isolation.

Not so sure it is that simple.

I am.  I agree with firecat69.  It's that simple. 

One post asked, "If you live alone what do you do during the day to keep occupied?"  With all the boys available here, three guesses.  And not just money boys either.

Unlike many of you, I don't like sleeping with anybody.  I prefer to sleep alone.  If I want a young gent to drop by, I prefer afternoons.  I'm very happy when they come and I'm just as happy when they leave. 

My usual routine, unless I'm traveling or have something else I want to do, is to wake up in the morning, take care of whatever I need to do that day, and if I have time in the afternoon, that's when I'll have a young gent drop by.  Later, if I want to go out to dinner, I usually go with farang friends.  If after dinner I feel like going to the bars, or whatever else, I'll do that or go home.

I almost never go to the beach anymore.  I used to go regularly back in the days when many of my farang friends would go and there were loads of boys.  Now, none of my farang friends go anymore and boys at the beach are just about extinct.

I love being free to have virtually any boy I want, any time I want him - day or night, if I want a boy at all that day - something I for sure never had in the USA.  But I have it here.  I think I'll stay right where I am.

Does it really matter where you live. I lived in San Francisco and had up and down times. We all have different personalitys.

Some people need to be surrounded by lots of people and lots of people are happy with a good book and into bed at 9pm.

I don't think we can define loneliness for each other.

Guest ryanasia

I am.  It's that simple.

I am glad you are happy but you simply don't speak for everybody else. So we have noted your contentment and now others can also offer their opinions with in the context of this discussion.

Guest ryanasia

Does it really matter where you live. I lived in San Francisco and had up and down times. We all have different personalitys.

Some people need to be surrounded by lots of people and lots of people are happy with a good book and into bed at 9pm.

I don't think we can define loneliness for each other.

Thailand is different because it isn't your home country and the cultural and language differences. Though I agree with you to a degree that it is possible to be lonely anywhere. 

I have no problems when in Thailand. I don't live there permently, but spend months at a time. If you were going to move there and be lonely, why would you move there or stay there.

Thailand may not be my home country, but I live pretty much the same life there as I do at my home in the US.

I am glad you are happy but you simply don't speak for everybody else. So we have noted your contentment and now others can also offer their opinions with in the context of this discussion.

Really?  You're glad I'm happy?  I have a feeling you'd be much more glad if I was miserable - like apparently you are. 

Where did I say I speak for everybody else?  I speak only for myself.  If you're incapable of making friends, and if your posts reflect your attitude I can see why, that's your problem. Guess for yourself how much I care.

I don't have any time to be lonely, in all honesty. I've been busy pretty much all the time I've been living in Thailand. I've got farang friends for serious talks and the occasional reality check, Thai friends and family for less serious talks and partying, a boyfriend more often than not - and otherwise plenty of work to do.

Guest ryanasia

I have no problems when in Thailand. I don't live there permently, but spend months at a time. If you were going to move there and be lonely, why would you move there or stay there.

Thailand may not be my home country, but I live pretty much the same life there as I do at my home in the US.

Because they get carried away with the scene and move over only to realise that this can become pretty empty. Everyother day somebody is plunging off of a condo balcony in Pattaya. I am happy enough but the phenomonon of moving here to slip into depression is well documented. 

Really?  You're glad I'm happy?  I have a feeling you'd be much happier if I was miserable - like apparently you are. 

Where did I say I speak for everybody else?  I speak only for myself.  If you're incapable of making friends, and if your posts reflect your attitude I can see why, that's your problem. Guess for yourself how much I care.

I replied to a quote of yours that you have now expanded upon. When I replied it was a short one liner that made it seem like because of your situation the topic didn't merit discussion. I said quite clearly that I am happy enough and part of the reason for this is that I have a partner and not limited to what the sex scene offers. 

When I replied it was a short one liner that made it seem like because of your situation the topic didn't merit discussion.

Who died and made you in charge of deciding what does and does not merit discussion?  If there's something you don't think merits discussion, then here's a novel idea for you - don't discuss it.

Guest ryanasia

Please read again. I mean I felt with your one liner that you felt the topic didn't merit discussion. I was saying that I felt it was interesting and open to everybody's opinions. 

Guest ryanasia

He seems to be the sort of guy who has such a high ego he would never be lonely even by himself. On the other hand anybody spending time with him might become lonely. 

The whole precept of the question seems to suggest that you might be isolated with only Thais.  But in fact there are many expats in most areas of thailand.  

So if you want to go out for meals , golf, shows etc with other Westerners then nothing could be easier.  Family is something you cannot replace  but as stated most people who move to Thailand are older and have lost most of their families either to death or just can't stand them anymore.

most people who move to Thailand are older and have lost most of their families either to death or just can't stand them anymore.

thanks for  a good laugh / my underline /

As for  a thread subject itself I can only recall my immediate  impression when I came to Pattaya for a first time. Only preconceived notion I had was that it will be hooker at every turn which did not materialize but I was surprised my number of sad faced farangs wandering the streets. It is recorded in my trip report from Nov 2013 so I'm not making it up.

So I guess some of them may feel lonely , free of burden to friends and too much money and surrounded by the culture they did not fully grasp .