reader

Ban smoking, littering at 24 beaches

From Coconuts Bangkok

As we announced back in November, Thailand’s new smoking ban on 24 tourist beaches around the country takes full effect today. Though the law has technically been in place for 90 days, police designated that time as a grace period when those caught breaking the law would be warned but not fined.

Now, those smoking in non-designated areas — including the use of vapes and e-cigarettes, which are illegal in Thailand anyway — can face harsh penalties including a fine of up to THB100,000 (about US$3,000) and/or up to a year in jail.

To help people follow the law, smoking areas have been set up just behind the beaches with signs in Thai, English, and Chinese. There was also talk of using GPS signals to send text messages to people with tourist SIMS near beaches about the law.

So far, the beach smoking ban has not been popular with Pattaya tourists, who have simply ignored the ban and smoked in the sand.

The only beach in Pattaya that is part of the ban is Dongtan Beach, on the Jomtien side of the city. The pilot program bans smoking on 24 popular tourist beaches around the country after officials in Phuket realized how much smoking debris and cigarette butts were left on the beaches.

In addition to Dongtan, other beaches taking part in the pilot program are: Patong (Phuket); Saeng Chan (Rayong); Laem Sadet (Chanthaburi); Bang Saen, Tham Phung, Sai Kaew, Dong Tan (Chonburi); Cha-am (Phetburi); Hua Hin and Khao Takiab (Prachuap Khiri Khan), Bo Phut (Koh Samui); Sai Ri (Chumphon), Khao Lak (Phang Nga); Koh Khai Nok and Koh Khai Nai (off the coast of Phang Nga); Chalok Baan Kao (Koh Tao); Klong Dao, Kor Kwang, and Phra Ae (Koh Lanta); Ban Chuen (Trat); Chala That (Songkhla); Samran (Trang); Plai Sai (Nakhon Sri Thammarat); and Wasukri (Pattani).

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/no-butts-todays-day-fines-beach-smoking-take-effect/

Looks like Koh Samet has been spared at least for the time being. It's a nice place to go, easy to get to, and very gay friendly.  But I am very much in favor of limiting and eliminating smoking as much as possible.  

Being a smoker myself, however, I find the ban aboslutely necessary and think it's the right thing to do. Besides, Thais are offering a space where one can go and have the cancer-food. I'm from Europe, it's very common here to be restriced on smoking.

Cheers!

And what'about drinking beer ban ?

I suppose drink all you want. Ban concerns only smoking, at least according to the article mentioned above. Maybe there is a drinking ban in effect as well that I'm unaware of but this doesn't sound plausible. Perhaps someone can shed a light on that.

"And what'about drinking beer ban ?"

It all depends on the intent behind the ban.  If they are trying to save the smokers and/or drinkers from harming their own health, than the ban is logical even if not practical especially in the case of beer.  If they are trying to protect society in general and more specifically those around the smokers, than it is extremely logical and in many countries is working to the benefit of all involved. 

But in the second case, it does not make very much sense to ban beer drinking as it causes none or very little harm to those around the drinker unless they get drunk and behave badly.  The smoke from the smoker is not only harming the smoker but also all those around through the second hand smoke.

I am very passionate about second hand smoke because I grew up in a household where my mother (God rest her soul) smoked three packs a day and even though she lived to be 86 her health was not very good for her last ten years.  But also my health as I have gotten older has been adversely affected from living in that environment for 17 years even though I have never smoked.