reader

Tour the Whimsical Bangkok Home .....

From Architectural Digest

....of World-Renowned Hotel Designer

entrance of a home

Whimsical, wild, and wacky are but a few words that most aptly describe Bill Bensley’s unique design aesthetic and the exceptional hotels born from it. Credited with upping the ante on Southeast Asia’s hospitality design, he is one of the most intriguing artists in the field today. For the past 27 years, he and his husband’s Bangkok home, Baan Botanica, has been the canvas for his next five-star hotel, restaurant, garden, or spa. “Our house is constantly under renovation and I’m constantly experimenting with new things,” says Bensley. “If we screw up at home, that’s fine, but if we screw up with our clients and with our hotels, that’s no good.”

With sustainability at the forefront of all his work, it’s also a part of his life at home. “Long before sustainability became a buzzword, I trained first and foremost as a landscape architect,” Bensley explains. “That influence is very much how we design architecture in that it’s designed to step lightly onto the earth.” This is most evident in his massive labyrinth of colorful, vibrant outdoor garden rooms. “We have two plots of land. On one of the plots, we have just outdoor gardens—with the exception of a glass greenhouse, which I use for my painting studio,” Bensley continues. All of the fertilizer used for the gardens is made up of kitchen waste and leaves, shredded and composted.

Continues with photo tour

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/tour-whimsical-bangkok-home-world-renowned-hotel-designer