reader

Pattaya prepares to seal borders

From Coconuts Bangkok

The infamous beach town of Pattaya may seal itself off for three weeks starting Thursday. 

District chief Amnat Sricharoenannounced Tuesday that he has petitioned the provincial governor to close Pattaya’s borders to all transportation for 21 days starting Thursday to stem the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The popular gulf enclave is home to many foreigners, and its high numbers of commercial sex workers make it a premier destination for sex tourists. Pattaya has seen 23 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with one Russian national dying of the disease on April 1.

Amnat said stricter measures, if approved, would include a travel lockdown on people coming or going for at least 21 days, with exceptions for needed deliveries. Drivers transporting necessary goods would be required to show identification and/or authorized documents at checkpoints.

Pattaya’s usually raucous nightlife has already gone quiet under an overnight curfew. Thailand is under a state of emergency that allows governors to unilaterally issue orders to stem the spread of the virus.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1893510#cxrecs_s

I had an email from Heiko the owner/manager of the Poseidon Hotel and restaurant in Jomtien telling of the loss of business, the upcoming 3 week shut down, that half of the staff has been let go but others kept on.  I wrote back that I would return as soon as I possible could...