reader

Malaysian singer embraces his sexuality

From South China Morning Post

Queer Malaysian singer Alextbh on embracing his sexuality, living in a conservative society and going global

Malaysian singer Alextbh has many fans and ignores the haters.

Living in conservative Malaysia has not stopped the proudly queer Alex Bong from making waves in the music industry. Going by the stage name Alextbh, he writes songs that deal with relationships and heartbreak, and are mostly inspired by experiences in the modern-day dating world.

The Sarawak native got his first taste of music production when he was only 14. After his mother gave him an iPad, he started experimenting with the music software Garage Band. The first song he posted to YouTube received just four reactions.

Ten years on, the 24-year-old has appeared at festivals across Asia, opened for international stars including US singer and British electronic band Clean Bandit, and toured with Australian soul/R&B sensation Jess Connelly.

With a sound that straddles minimalist R&B and dream pop, Bong has notched up more than 400,000 monthly listeners on Spotify. The singer’s most played single, Stoop So Low, has so far been streamed more than 20 million times on the platform. Bong says Stoop So Low track represented a turning point in his career. Moving away from soundscapes inspired by electronic dance music (EDM), Stoop So Low became his first venture into R&B genre.

“I started with EDM because a lot of YouTube tutorials revolved around very loud, ‘synthy’ soundscape designs,” he tells the Post. “Once I made Stoop So Low, I realised the beauty of minimalist R&B and putting [my] vocals centre stage. [My musical style] has settled on R&B and I’ve been sitting here comfortably since then.”

Alex says that his recent tracks have pushed the envelope further, with lyrics that unapologetically embrace his sexuality.

Between, released in April, is accompanied by an enigmatic lyric video, featuring close-up shots of male bodies and blossoming flowers. This is the first track in which he discusses sex, using words such as “guy” and “boy” to refer to his lover.

Continues with three videos (recommended)

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/entertainment/article/3086290/queer-malaysian-singer-alextbh-embracing-his-sexuality