TampaYankee

Forum Login Issues -- Good News.... Maybe

• Members

An update to let everyone know where we currently stand on this bug.

For the first time I am actually feeling optimistic about making progress on this front. I don't want to declare victory just yet. I have been around long enough to know that one doesn't get out in front of the cart unless one is confident that the brakes are working and the driver is more friend than foe. ^_^ With that caveat for cautiion in place...

It seems that DCForum software has salted away in at least three different places/vehicles user and session status information. If the session is closed down improperly then inconsistent data may be left among the three repositories of information. Restarting a forum session with inconsistent stored data causes the software to behave in a disagreeable manner. Hopefully the authors haven't opted for a fourth, as yet unknown, respository.

Right now I cannot say if we have the complete solution or if we are just closer to a complete solution. Often debugging proceeds in steps and sometimes it all just falls into place. It remains to be seen if what we have will apply to all browsers. We are hopeful but we need members to help us test whether we have isolated the problem and solved it.

How can you help us test? It is easy.

For those having problems previously, just login and see how it works? Let us know if there is any change in behavior or not. Please indicate your browser and version if you know it.

For those who had no problem before let us know if you are now having a problem. Again, we need browser and version.

If you had no problem before and are not having one now then no need to let us know as a positive status quo is good.

That is all. Try it and let us know.

• Members

I thought I would be the first to test and post here.

Previously, I had consistently had failures accessing the Forum using Firefox.

Using firefox v 1.07, I am making this post after logging in to the up-front site. I can report that I had no problems at all entering the forum and posting.

One success story is a start, two is a trend. Who will be a trend setter? :7

Guest newatthis

Well, I logged in on the toolbar -- everything was OK. Then I tried to post, and got sent to the login screen again -- just as before.

BUT -- if you're reading this post, it means that the 2nd login actually allowed me to post -- my very first post on MER (even though I've been a member for a while).

So if you're reading this, TY -- thanks for straightening things out, at least partway. (I'm using IE v. 6.)

Now to cross my fingers and try posting.

--new

Guest eastburbguy

< If you had no problem before and are not having one now then no need to let us know as a positive status quo is good.

Screw your admonition. I feel like reporting. }(

I had no problem with login before and I have none now. I'm using Firefox 1.0.

However, as I type this I realize your emoticons have disappeared and I have to go to "smilies lookup table." Wasn't that menu available on the posting page/Your message page before? P.S. I do NOT have the "check if you do not wish to use emoticons ..." feature checked.

Guest eastburbguy

< Check Help/About Firefox to find the exact version you are running.

Went to Help/About Firefox. Couldn't find how to find my version. Any suggestions?

Guest BostonGuy

Huh... The version number should be on the dialog that pops up when you click on "About Mozilla Firefox." With 1.0.7, it's specified twice.

If it's not there, what info is there?

BG