TampaYankee

Last Call... on Forum Login Issues

Guest straycat

It's still hit and miss for me. For example, tonight I had to login twice. Once into the site then a second time into the forum. I'm using IE6.0 this evening and XP home edition is my O/S.

I suspect others might still be experiencing the problem as well but have come to accept it.

Guest Stephan

Not sure if you both run windows, but if you do, have you tried to erase all the cookies ? and relog in afterwards ?

I don't have the problem of re logging twice since the changes have been made (I have a mac ).

You should try to erase all the cookies and see whats happens...also the offline content and all... I can't recall exactly the steps..as I am not front of one window computer but I am sure it will help....

Stef

http://www.steflacoste.com

+33 870 449 763 ~ France

+1 310 933 6213 ~ Usa

• Members

Well for the first time since the last fix, the forum wanted me to login a second time. I had been performing some testing with a couple of different test login IDs prior to this. Rather than succumb to the second login request, I quit and restarted my browser (IE6.0...) and logged in to the site. I went straight to the forums and posted without difficulty. No second login request this time. Your mileage may vary.

I suspect this is a cookie issue. The problem seems intermittient in the extreme, only happening to a small percentage, or in my case exceedingly rarely. We will continue to monitor to try to get a hand on this. For now if it is a real nuisance i recommend deleting cookies, clearing cache and restarts of browser or even computer. The cure may be worse than the disease. :o

• Members

Well, after a period of calm sanity and aceess to the forums I found myself locked out of the single login process using IE. I cleared my cache and cookies and tried again. No go. :( Thankfully I could get in ok with Firefox 1.07. That was earlier today.

Now this evening, I tried to login with Firefox because it was the one working, right? It failed. :( So I tried IE. It is now working. I mention this because I know other people are having problems today also.

I suspect the tech guys were making one last pass at the forum integration to try to resolve the few outstanding complaints, as we had requested.

If we cannot get this software mastered then we will be forced to implement an alternative, much as I would regret giving up on dcforum. ;( This is one thing that has to please all the people all of the time.

Guest BostonGuy

TY:

I'm surprised to hear this. I thought it had been working smoothly for weeks now. I haven't had any problems nor seen any reported here.

Everyone is familiar with DC Forum. Changing to a new look and feel -- a necessary evil if you switch forum software -- will be like starting over again. I hope you don't have to go that route.

BG

Guest straycat

TampaYankee

I personally don't care if I log in once, twice or three times. I really don't even care if you guys change the forum software. But what drives me crazier than I already am is the "unknown double login."

Like this evening, I sign into the site, read the forum posts, go to reply to this post only to find out I need to login again. That can be very frustrating.

My preference at this point would be to have the forum login box open when I click on the "Fourms" link from the top navigation menu. Then I know I'll be signed in from the start,

Just my view ^_^

Guest BostonGuy

I agree. That would be good.

Actually, what has surprised me is that I so seldom have to log in. I seem to be logged in already most of time when I return here. I've only had to log in once every other day or so for the last week, at least, and -- trust me -- I thought you guys were miracle workers for making it so damned convenient! :-)

BG

Guest eastburbguy

I've had no problem at all this week logging in using Firefox, and I've been here everyday at least once a day. Also, I've have never had to login more than once each day since the site went live. But again, I'm using version 1.0. :D

Guest straycat

Some happy news to report for a change ^_^ Tonight I was able to use the single login without problem. And not just with IE but also with FF 1.5, YEAH!

I also noticed that my member since date has returned to the orginal sign up time. Now if we can just get the Check Who Is Online Now feature back it would be like a homerun :7

• Members

>I suspect the tech guys were making one last pass at the forum

>integration to try to resolve the few outstanding complaints,

>as we had requested.

>

Sure enough the tech guys were crawling through the bowels of dcforum looking for weevils and other bugs. Maybe they knocked over some of china figurines in their sojourn. (I wondered where they disappeared to. :o ) They seem to be finished and feel the safari was of value. We shall see. I am hopeful... really I am. :D

As straycat remarked, the Member Since Dates are back as is Check Who Is Online, and hopefully the single login process is back on track.

Please provide feedback (positive or negative) in the forum on your login experience. If we have returned to an acceptable level of stability in the single login process then maybe we can put it behind us for good.

Thanks for your patience. (Mine was drawing a bit thin.)

Double-login requirement persists for me tonight. Tried it several times. (Running FF 1.5.0.1, compared to which a piece of whale dung at 30,000 fathoms would look like a fleecy white cloud in the sky.) But I deleted MER cookies, logged into site, and still was asked to log into forum before I could post.

Tickled, though, that Member Since date is now showing correct.

• Members

:(

I am sorry to hear that you need the double login. My browsers are working fine now with single login (Explorer and FF 1.0.7.)

Thanks for the feedback. I really don't know what to advise at this moment. I think FF1.5 is due for an update (unless that has already happened) although it is not clear to me that will help.

I am hopinig for feedback from others in order to get a biigger picture of the login issue.

So far most of the feedback seems to be on the side of keeping dcforum even with the double login. I am unhappy with the idea that some need a double login but I also want to be responsive to user desires. Hopefully additional feedback will be forthcoming.

Thanks again.

TY, didn't mean this as criticism but only feedback/reportage. As I posted before, double login is, to me, a more than acceptable price for staying with dcforum.

Re FF, couple weeks ago they issued a point release 1.5.0.1 which I am running. My experience - it is LESS stable than 1.5, if you can believe that. x(

Guest ArVaGuy

I would like to thank the site managment for replying to my messages about log in issues. It's an indication of how serisouls users issues are taken and that at least someone is making an effort.

Still having a few issues trying to post using IE. What's up?

• Members

>Still having a few issues trying to post using IE. What's

>up?

That is the $64 dollar question: why some are afflicted and not others. ;(

Last week I was having issues with one of my browsers. x( This week they both work fine for me. ^_^

I know at least a couple of members still are reporting issues. :o For that we sincerely apologize.

ALthough I have not seen the dcforum code myself, in the past I have been in similar position with number crunching code that completely eluded all attempts at modification. So I sympathize with the tech guys. Our ulitmate solution was to replace the offending code with something that was readable, thus comprehendable and developer friendly.

We are hoping for additional feedback from users to understand how isolated (or not) these double login problems are.

Thanks for the feedback.

TY

Guest ArVaGuy

I have found that when I log into the site and try to post I get the login screen again. If I log in again and check the box for the system to remember me when I return then it will let me post. x(

It's certainly an intermittent problem that's for sure. Good luck.

> Our ulitmate solution was to

>replace the offending code with something that was readable,

>thus comprehendable and developer friendly.

Just encountered double-login requirement again. BUT let me stuff the ballot box in favor of sticking with dcforum no matter what.

Guest straycat

>TY, didn't mean this as criticism but only

>feedback/reportage. As I posted before, double login is, to

>me, a more than acceptable price for staying with dcforum.

>

>Re FF, couple weeks ago they issued a point release 1.5.0.1

>which I am running. My experience - it is LESS stable than

>1.5, if you can believe that. x(

Different strokes for different folks :7

I'm using FF 1.5.01 and since the patch update haven't had a problem with the single login here. Also, I find the update to make the browser more stable too.

Guest FourAces

For what it is worth I'm still having to log in twice using IE. But I just assumed it was only still happening to me, that I was being punished for my previous message center sins; that or to discourage me from posting here :D

Guest ArVaGuy

>> Our ulitmate solution was to

>>replace the offending code with something that was

>readable,

>>thus comprehendable and developer friendly.

>

>Just encountered double-login requirement again. BUT let me

>stuff the ballot box in favor of sticking with dcforum no

>matter what.

I would state that its better to have a working, reliable forum package that's going to work 99.999 % of the time.

>I would state that its better to have a working, reliable

>forum package that's going to work 99.999 % of the time.

Well, are we actually in agreement? One could argue that login mode is about 0.001% of forum software functionality. I've had to use and help implement other forum environments with far more irritating attributes than double login.

• Members

I think we are coming down to the crunch on this one. I appreciate that some who are having problems are willing to endure the double login process. However, others are having trouble posting altogether. That is unacceptable.

I was a strong advocate for dcfourm in the beginning. I have continued to be a strong advocate for pushing to make it work. It seems that we are unable to conquer this beast. Stay tuned.

Guest BostonGuy

TY:

Sorry that you're experiencing difficulties. I've found that I can stay logged on here for several days, using "Read New" and "Mark" with great ease. Posting has also been completely straightforward.

I'm also surprised to hear about the lingering problems, since DC Forums have been around for a long time and are used by many people. Are you certain that the errors some are encountering are not EBKAC errors?

BG