TampaYankee

When is a Holiday Less Than a Labor of Love?

• Members

Reflections on a Labor Day without love.

Courtesy: m-w.com

Main Entry: hol·i·day

Pronunciation: 'hä-l&-"dA, [em]Britain usually[/em] 'hä-l&-dE

Function: [em]noun[/em]

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English hAligdæg, from [em]hAlig[/em] holy + [em]dæg[/em] day

1 : HOLY DAY

2 : a day on which one is exempt from work; specifically : a day marked by a general suspension of work in commemoration of an event

3 [em]chiefly British[/em] : VACATION -- often used in the phrase [em]on holiday[/em]; often used in plural

4 : a period of exemption or relief

Well, let's see... no it wasn't a Holy Day, maybe Holy War Day? Ok, an overstatement, but the flesh of the few seemed willing.

A day in which one is exempt of work? Clearly!! Too much time on too many hands.

Ok, all true Brits had better things to do (as did i).

A period of exemption or relief? Hardly. It seems a few of the truly constipated were desperately seeking a movement. I guess we can call that 'in search of relief'.

Courtesy: Wikipedia.org

[em]

Labor Day is a United States federal holiday that takes place on the first Monday of September. In 2006, Labor Day occurred on September 4.

The origins of the American Labor Day can be traced back to the Knights of Labor in the United States and a parade organized by them on September 5, 1882 in New York City....

Labor Day has been celebrated on the first Monday in September in the United States since the 1880s....

Labor Day is generally regarded simply as a day of rest and, unlike May Day, political demonstrations are rare. [/em]

Well... weren't we Lucky!! (Church Lady, where are you when we need you?)

[em]Forms of celebration include picnics, barbecues, fireworks displays, water sports, and public art events. [/em]

Some picnic! Yes, there were fireworks. Some tried to barbecue others. Waters sports... lol, to say the least. Not much art, that I saw anyway.

[em]Families with school-age children take it as the last chance to travel before the end of summer. Some teenagers and young adults view it as the last weekend for parties before returning to school....

[/em]

Finally, an explanation. Just a bunch of young adults 'cutting up' on their last weekend before returning to school.

I had a very nice Labor Day, thanks -- a beautiful day spent with family celebrating a birthday. Great way to spend a holiday, the more so after a few days of very wet dank weather. I wish more could have had a pleasant holiday.

• Members

>Courtesy: Wikipedia.org

>[em]

>Labor Day is a United States federal holiday that takes

>place on the first Monday of September. In 2006, Labor Day

>occurred on September 4.

>

>The origins of the American Labor Day can be traced back to

>the Knights of Labor in the United States and a parade

>organized by them on September 5, 1882 in New York City....

If this is true, how come they celebrated Labor Day in Montreal, Quebec, Canada yesterday?

• Members

>

>>Courtesy: Wikipedia.org

>>[em]

>>Labor Day is a United States federal holiday that

>takes

>>place on the first Monday of September. In 2006, Labor

>Day

>>occurred on September 4.

>>

>>The origins of the American Labor Day can be traced back

>to

>>the Knights of Labor in the United States and a parade

>>organized by them on September 5, 1882 in New York

>City....

>

>If this is true, how come they celebrated Labor Day in

>Montreal, Quebec, Canada yesterday?

[/em]

This question is a nonsequitur. Question B is not begged by Statement A. For those interested I recommend Wikipedia.org. :P