Guest Oliver

Oliver’s Travels – Rio – November 2006 - #3 (Final )

“Monkey Business” – (Sorry I’ve not posted the final chapter – returned home and went to Michigan for Thanksgiving, and acquired a new “companion” – the four-legged kind. He’s a two-year-old miniature Schnauzer and great fun. It’s easy to say “I’ve been busy”)

After a leisurely Tuesday with great meals, Groucho (J) stays in while I (Harpo) decide to try Estacio again. Again it’s closed. So off to Pointe 202 I go – cannot waste the opportunity. And once again there is Fabio. Much better than any others, although it is nice to view the “merchandise”. And once again, Fabio almost overwhelms me – what a beautiful man, not only to look at, but also to feel. So many beautiful men and so little stamina!

Wednesday is a beautiful day!!! It’s also a holiday (November 15) to celebrate the end of the Empire and the beginning of the republic. After another delicious breakfast served by the gracious and happy hotel staff, Groucho and Harpo head to a shopping mall that overlooks the bay and Sugar Loaf. We meet J’s beautiful man at another sushi (I may become addicted the stuff) restaurant with a gorgeous view of Sugar Loaf. Then we are off to ascend SL via the tram. Because of the holiday and the beautiful weather, lots of people have decided to do the same. We don’t have to wait long, though. Fortunately for me, the tram is well enclosed (I’m not great with unprotected heights). At the first level we stop for refreshment and there are the little monkeys scampering about finding whatever scraps of food that fall to the ground.

Then on up to the top on the second tram – OMG – the view is spectacular and you can see forever. Out comes the digital and I’m clicking all over. After getting our fill of the views, I must stop for family presents and the shop there is perfect for that. So ends a wonderful day in this beautiful country.

So now it’s Thursday, my last day! Again the sun is shining brightly and after I move from my room (J allows me to use his room until I leave that evening), we spend the day by the pool soaking up rays (finally!). I must have SOME color or people will never believe I was here! Time out for lunch in the hottest part of the day, and then back to it.

Around 5 pm, Roberto picks me up for the airport. A sad ending – I must go home… Say goodbye to J (he’s staying on). Arrive with plenty of time and proceed through the maze of Brazilian security without incident. The flight home, though long, is uneventful. Back home in Ohio and 40 degrees. Why did I decide to come back?

Overall – A beautiful country with beautiful people (especially the men – the women may be, too, but who was looking?). But the dichotomy between rich and poor is extreme. Having seen the “favellas” from afar, I am saddened by the situation of those people. Otherwise, did I like it? Oh yes, and am overjoyed for the experience. And to have had J as my mentor was great – Thank you J! I may not be a “sauna” type of person – my intimate preferences are for more extended romantic interludes. But I would not have missed the chance to enjoy this new pleasure. And I was in Rio – and I did RELAX!