TownsendPLocke

Have your travel patterns changed over the past year?

• Members

Mine sure have.

I flew over 50k miles in 2007.Made status in two airlines.Almost all on my own dime and for pleasure.

2008 was a different story :blink: Over half of my flights in the first quarter of 2008 were delayed by at least 3 hours-or cancelled.I grew so disgusted that I cut back my flying to the bare bones essential(meaning if it was more than a four hour drive I would fly)and just let my status slip without a thought.My year end tally for severely(more than three hours)or cancelled flights-80% :angry:

If any other business delivered such an abysimal performance it would be quickly shuttered.Instead these airlines just keep on chugging---and even merging with each other!?!

I am now hearing about service cutbacks in two of the hotel chains I have status with.I sleep a lot in hotels-and have often used a more expensive option strictly to maintiain status/earn loyalty points.

However-if these chains make deep cuts in service without makeing cuts in prices I have no problem sleeping with cheaper brands.Loyalty programs do go two ways you know,

How about you-did you decrease thae amount of travel in 2008-what are your plans for 2009?

My travel experiences were pertty good in 2008. I flew just over 150,000 miles. Had no delays of more than an hour. I only missed one upgrade. I've already got about 75,000 miles worth of trips already book for 2009, and hoping my 08 good luck continues. First big trip is to Thailand in February.

• Members

I flew 50,000 miles in 2008 and should travel the same amount this year. I had 2 really bad experiences which is unusual. Spent half a night in an airport. I fly Continental almost exclusively and find their service pretty good.

• Members

Flights are really cheap now, like they usually are this time of year. Just booked a flight between Houston & San Francisco for under $240!

But they really have to do away with those 1st bag check in fees. Now people bring more carry on and it delay's the boarding process. Just charge everyone an extra $10 bucks per flight & let the 1st bag on free.

Guest jackhammer91406

I usually make at least two large trips each year. One to Florida for the month of May and one to Rio for the month of November. In addition I often take a week or two to New York city in the summer. All of the trips are recreational, not business.

As I looked at the prospects for the year back in January I thought the economy wasn't very good and perhaps it would be better to tuck that money away and not do any big travel until the economy got a little better.

So in answer to your original post, yes my plans did change this year. I have taken several trips to Vegas, but drove each time and only when the Palazzo offered the three night free suites.

This year I have cashed in some mile to take the trip in May to Florida. Still mulling over a trip to Brazil in November.

Do trips to Palm Springs count? :rolleyes:

Guest chuck50
I usually make at least two large trips each year. One to Florida for the month of May and one to Rio for the month of November. In addition I often take a week or two to New York city in the summer. All of the trips are recreational, not business.

As I looked at the prospects for the year back in January I thought the economy wasn't very good and perhaps it would be better to tuck that money away and not do any big travel until the economy got a little better.

So in answer to your original post, yes my plans did change this year. I have taken several trips to Vegas, but drove each time and only when the Palazzo offered the three night free suites.

This year I have cashed in some mile to take the trip in May to Florida. Still mulling over a trip to Brazil in November.

Do trips to Palm Springs count? :rolleyes:

Yes I have calmed down too. But want to do something fun soon. HUGS Chuck

It used to cost me 17 euros to fly to the UK. Now it costs me almost 300 euros, which has changed my patterns.

I can still get to barcelona for 40 euros, so I'm seeing more spanish than british meat.

It's really none of my business, but your post raised all sorts of nosy questions. From where could you fly for 17 (but now 300) Euros to get to the UK? And 40 Euros to get to Barcelona? That has to be from someplace like Nice, or ??? Or maybe by rail??

Just curious.

Guest epigonos

I retired in June of 2002 and almost immediately established a pattern of making four major pleasure trips a year. I usually went to Europe and Latin America (most often Mexico) each twice. As airports have become increasingly more and more of a nightmare and as airline service has declined I have found that long distant travel has become less and less enjoyable. Thus I only went to Europe once in 2008 and have no plans to go, at all, in 2009. I have begun replacing my European trips with visits to places here in the U.S. Last fall I ventured into upstate Michigan and next fall I will return and also visit the Upper Peninsula and Wisconsin.

The baggage fee hasn’t presented a problem for me because I learned, a long time ago, to travel as follows: if I can’t take an item as carryon I don’t take it; if I can’t take an item as carryon and I can’t go without it I SIMPLY DON’T GO!!. All this system entails is planning and doing laundry while traveling, slight inconveniences YES but, to my way of thinking, far better than waiting for luggage, dealing with lost luggage, and paying luggage fees.

One pleasant surprise last year was that on my annual November visit to Acapulco I was forced to fly Mexicana with a connection in Mexico City. In the past I had always flown Continental with the connection in Houston. I had heard a multitude of horror stories about Mexicana and was not looking forward to the experience. As it turned out the flights were excellent, the service was excellent and Mexico City’s Benito Juarez International Airport is fabulous.

In the future I will now most likely be taking one U.S. trip a year, possibly one cruise a year, and two trips to Mexico a year. For me, at least, travel to Europe and the Far East have simply become too uncomfortable and too unpleasant. I am trying to limit my flying time to a maximum of five hours each way.

Guest fourjogran
I retired in June of 2002 and almost immediately established a pattern of making four major pleasure trips a year. I usually went to Europe and Latin America (most often Mexico) each twice. As airports have become increasingly more and more of a nightmare and as airline service has declined I have found that long distant travel has become less and less enjoyable. Thus I only went to Europe once in 2008 and have no plans to go, at all, in 2009. I have begun replacing my European trips with visits to places here in the U.S. Last fall I ventured into upstate Michigan and next fall I will return and also visit the Upper Peninsula and Wisconsin.

The baggage fee hasn’t presented a problem for me because I learned, a long time ago, to travel as follows: if I can’t take an item as carryon I don’t take it; if I can’t take an item as carryon and I can’t go without it I SIMPLY DON’T GO!!. All this system entails is planning and doing laundry while traveling, slight inconveniences YES but, to my way of thinking, far better than waiting for luggage, dealing with lost luggage, and paying luggage fees.

One pleasant surprise last year was that on my annual November visit to Acapulco I was forced to fly Mexicana with a connection in Mexico City. In the past I had always flown Continental with the connection in Houston. I had heard a multitude of horror stories about Mexicana and was not looking forward to the experience. As it turned out the flights were excellent, the service was excellent and Mexico City’s Benito Juarez International Airport is fabulous.

In the future I will now most likely be taking one U.S. trip a year, possibly one cruise a year, and two trips to Mexico a year. For me, at least, travel to Europe and the Far East have simply become too uncomfortable and too unpleasant. I am trying to limit my flying time to a maximum of five hours each way.

I have frequently taken two major trips a year. Usually to Brazil or Europe or the West Coast. Last two years did Italy, Brazil, West Coast. Since I spent part of the year in NY State and part in Florida, I do make trips to NYC, Ft. Lauderdale and Cape Cod. This comng year, I had hoped to do Budapest and Prague but I am putting that off for better times. Also really want to return to Buenos Aires and Rio but not this year. Expect to limit myself to Orlando, Lauderdale, NYC and New England, most places where I can drived and some places where I visit relatives. Really look forward to better times when I can renew overseas travel.