Guest noy9000

The bar boy

Guest BKKvisitor

However, the more important question is whether your BF thinks so, too....I have discovered that not all of them are interested in making a better life for themselves through higher education and their own honest efforts. Most of them just want a better life NOW

A little over two years ago I met a young man with very good English skills who had a good job, working off commissions from the sales of business equipment and supplies. He certainly enjoyed being with farangs. When I made it clear that I wasn't in the market for a bf, we continued to see each other occasionally and exchanged infrequent emails when I returned home. Shortly before I again returned to BKK he told me that he had found a farang who appeared ready to satisfy his desires to better his situation.

"He's crazy," my Thai friend (25) exclaimed. "He takes me on trips and pays for everything. This is the real thing and I'm staying true to him."

I wished him well in his new-found good fortune. It was on my following trip I ran into him again in the corridors of Babylon. Was he still seeing the same guy? Yes. But that guy was back home in the UK for a while.

What did I take away from that experience? Lots of stuff. Guys in the LOS are like guys (and women, for that matter) back home. (1) Most are looking for opportunities to cheat. (2) Just because you have the best of intentions (at least they appear the best to you) don't expect your new friend to share your desires for him. Everyone has--and is entitled to--their own agenda. Try to alter that agenda at your emotional (and financial) peril.

Guest noy9000

Hi Noy, I have read your response and really must spend more time digesting it. I am not sure, at all, about some of your references as to Variety Vol 6, issue 49. However if you are in your early twenties we are worlds or rather ages apart. I cannot argue with your reference to a "greed button" and I do agree he will go nuts if I am thrifty.

But seriously. Noy, do you really, want to get involved with some young guy as young as yourself?

Honestly I have done everything possible to encourage my bf/bb to make changes in his life. I am doing my very best to make a better life for him.

Am I right? I do not know.

I don't know. I want to get involved with a Thai chinese, instead of the brown Thais. If you're from Singapore/ Malaysia, you may have a preference for the different asian skin too. Irrational, but it's my problem.

I've a couple of good prospect (who are brown) but I can't imagine them living with me.

Guest xiandarkthorne

I don't know. I want to get involved with a Thai chinese, instead of the brown Thais. If you're from Singapore/ Malaysia, you may have a preference for the different asian skin too. Irrational, but it's my problem.

Everyone's got their particular prejudices, Noy. Just a word of caution. I have Thai Chinese relatives and from what I have seen of them and their friends, Thai Chinese can have much higher expectations because they often come from more privileged backgrounds compared to the "brown" Thais (as you put it).

Guest noy9000
Everyone's got their particular prejudices, Noy. Just a word of caution. I have Thai Chinese relatives and from what I have seen of them and their friends, Thai Chinese can have much higher expectations because they often come from more privileged backgrounds compared to the "brown" Thais (as you put it).
I know. I know some thai chinese too, but the point of getting someone from the bar scene is that they normally are already in the not-so-privelleged environment.

It's not logical at all.

Guest MissMarples

Ding Dong Farang - 20-30,000 Baht p/m, my god.

The average Issan farming family is living on 3,500 baht p/m. FACT. A 7-11, Big C worker get 5,000 per month. Why would someone pay their bf 20-30,000 p/m?

Do you live here full time, and will they be living with you full time? If no, you can guarantee as soon as your back is turned they'll be back being offed, even with your money.

I took a boy out of the bar 4.5 years ago. We were together for nearly 4 years. He worked for my company and got a good salary (for what he did) compared to others. But he actually worked.

I suggest you get the boy to work a regular job, and give him money to boost his salary. If you don't live here then pay his rent directly and give him an allowance for electric. The maximum this should cost you is 10,000 p/m. If you live here and he will be living with you then it can be less.

But I don't know the boy or you. Some boys aren't looking for a fortune (mine wasn't), just to get a bf, out of the bars and into a more comfortable and respectful lifestyle. Some are only interested in how much money they can get today.

Guest pete1969

Why would someone give a bar boy 20-30k Thai baht per month? Because that is what they make at the job you want them to leave. If someone wanted me to leave my current job in the US and only offered to pay me what the poorest Americans were making or those working at 7-11 or Walmart, I would laugh really hard.

It always mystifies me when people insist that these mostly highly-paid workers (bar boys) should be happy with what those in poorly paid professions are earning. Sure, a new boy or a boy who gets less than 6 offs per month might be okay with 10,000 baht per month. But an experienced barboy making over 20,000 baht per month in a bad month? Sure, he might take your 10K baht and tell you he is going home to mama, but he won't.

I've seen these poor farmers who live on 3500 baht per month and the way those working at menial jobs live. It is not really pretty. As I've stated before, I think someone has to know the boy's expenses and needs/wants and go from there. If you want to support a boy for 10,000 bt per month, then don't pick the ones going off 3 times or more per week. Find a boy who doesn't go off much or who is very new.

Pete

Guest xiandarkthorne

If you want to support a boy for 10,000 bt per month, then don't pick the ones going off 3 times or more per week. Find a boy who doesn't go off much or who is very new.

Pete

I agree with you 100%, Pete, but this particular part of your post caught my eye particularly because most people would very likely end up with a bar boy who had 3 or more offs per week for the following reasons -

1. They'd probably go for the better-looking bar boys and those are much less likely to be unsuccessful in their particular field of endeavour.

2. Their eyes are more likely to be caught by the more experienced bar boys, especially if the potential client looks particularly well-off.One of the reasons why some bar boys are more successful than others is quite simply their willingness to flaunt themselves. Not lilely to happen with new boys, whereas those who don't do that would already be in the 'less successful' category, wouldn't they?

Common sense should tell us that the shy, plain boy in the corner would probably be more anxious to please a client than the drop dead gorgeous exhibitionist shamelessly grinding his hips three inches from your nose. But that isn't the case, either, is it?

Xi'an

PS

And Noy, that's the reason why it's called a prejudice.

Guest pete1969

Stef, it seems part of this thread has gone missing! Maybe something to do with the new servers.

(Might also be the same reason why several PMs from the last couple of days are missing in my in box!)

Guest gonefishing

As said above, it all depends on if you see it as buying, renting, investing, or a long term partnership (civil partner type). If it is one of the former then it is easy to apply the maths, if the latter, on both parts, then the question shouldn't really arise.

In two months, I am opening my first company in LOS, and as an American can own all of it.

Pete, you may do well to study the terms of the Alien Business Act, currently under revision; even with full BoI approval companies such as Ford, Tesco-Lotus, etc are not as confident as you in their rights to full ownership!!

Guest pete1969

Pete, you may do well to study the terms of the Alien Business Act, currently under revision; even with full BoI approval companies such as Ford, Tesco-Lotus, etc are not as confident as you in their rights to full ownership!!

No worries under the Amity treaty as Americans can own 100% of their businesses without any Thai shareholders. The new changes to the Alien Business Act don't affect Amity companies. If I wasn't an American and needed 51% Thai ownership of my business, then I might not be so willing to open a business in Thailand. Thanks for the feedback, though!

Pete

No worries under the Amity treaty as Americans can own 100% of their businesses without any Thai shareholders. The new changes to the Alien Business Act don't affect Amity companies. If I wasn't an American and needed 51% Thai ownership of my business, then I might not be so willing to open a business in Thailand. Thanks for the feedback, though!

Pete

I thought the Treaty of Amity with Thailand "expired" on January 1, 2005 because of conflicts with the WTO (Wordld Trade Organization) rules about most favored nations. Companies registered before this date were grandfathered. I'm interested too because I am an American.

Guest pete1969

The new government extended it indefinitely. It kept getting 90 day extensions under Thaskin. So, the treaty is still valid.

Pete

Guest gonefishing

Pete,

I am sure you have done your homework, but I would still not make too many plans for the moment as the future required structure of all foreign businesses here is unclear. The 1966 amity is "about" to be replaced by the Thai-US Free Trade Agreement, which may change things, and even with the Amity treaty you still have to have a work permit, employ at least 4 Thais, and "bring in" 3,000,000 worth of trade to Thailand within the first 12 months. Whatever it means, best of luck!

Guest pete1969

Thanks for the feedback and good wishes, but everything is signed,sealed, and delivered for me already. I know the ins and outs of the rules as best as possible (TIT after all, so always changing), and I have a very good Thai law/business firm who put it all together for me and dot all the i's and cross all the t's.

Pete

Guest kenrfc

ON SECOND THOUGHT....

I originally posted I sent 12,000 per month with occasional "extras".

After looking at my records over the past 3 years it looks like he's averaging more than 20,000 with the "extras" factored in.

hmmmm <_<

AND THE LESSON IS....

DON'T take it on if you CAN'T AFFORD IT!!!!! :o