MsGuy

spit roasted whole pig

• Members

A group of us did this once. We sat around all night before a 4th of July slurping beers, gossiping and generally having a jolly ole time. It's a wonderful way of spending a holiday with friends and the results are every bit as delicious as this article describes.

The best thing about this method is that it doesn't require any special cooking skills. Just be sure to keep the heat from the coals low to keep from charing the outside. The rest pretty much takes care of itself.

ultimate holiday BBQ

• Members

A group of us did this once. We sat around all night before a 4th of July slurping beers, gossiping and generally having a jolly ole time. It's a wonderful way of spending a holiday with friends and the results are every bit as delicious as this article describes.

The best thing about this method is that it doesn't require any special cooking skills. Just be sure to keep the heat from the coals low to keep from charing the outside. The rest pretty much takes care of itself.

ultimate holiday BBQ

Now we are talking real feast cookery. Had a neighbor do one some years ago. Took 24 hours of cooking and it melted like butter in your mouth except for the cracklin'. Foremost requirement is an army to feed. :rolleyes:

• Members
. . .The best thing about this method is that it doesn't require any special cooking skills.

Well maybe where you come from but, just between us, I don't recall the last time I needed to shave my entrée, let alone truss it up and slide it on a spit. mellow.gif

And what's that about poking it all over with a sharp paring knife? huh.gif

Still, as you say, maybe after a few cool ones. rolleyes.gif

bv-38-c_bGlass-of-Beer-Posters.jpgbv-38-c_bGlass-of-Beer-Posters.jpgbv-38-c_bGlass-of-Beer-Posters.jpg

bv-38-c_bGlass-of-Beer-Posters.jpgbv-38-c_bGlass-of-Beer-Posters.jpgbv-38-c_bGlass-of-Beer-Posters.jpgbv-38-c_bGlass-of-Beer-Posters.jpg

• Members

just between us, I don't recall the last time I needed to shave my entrée, let alone truss it up and slide it on a spit.

That's not what I heard, but likely that was one of those blog room rumors. <_<

Bondage.jpg

Still, as you say, maybe after a few cool ones.

No, no, best just to stick with your original story. ;)

Guest zipperzone

I have an extreme revulsion about eating anything that arrives at the table looking like it did when it was alive. For that reason I was never tempted or able to eat roast suckling pig - with one exception.

Years ago, while spending New Year's Eve with some friends in London, we went for dinner at a restaurant called The Brompton Grill. Very hoity-toity, starched white damask tablecloths to the floor, food served from silver covered platters on rolling carts - etc, etc.

After more martinis than I could remember I was brave enough to try the r.s.pig. (It could have been the tight pants on the hunky carver - who knows)

So there I was, trying not to hurl as I watched this thing with an apple in it's mouth being carved and placed on my plate.

Did I enjoy it? It was OK, but just OK. Certainly not the melt in your mouth flavour I was expecting. I think the crackling was the best part.

• Members

I have an extreme revulsion about eating anything that arrives at the table looking like it did when it was alive. For that reason I was never tempted or able to eat roast suckling pig - with one exception.

Did I enjoy it? It was OK, but just OK. Certainly not the melt in your mouth flavour I was expecting. I think the crackling was the best part.

I don't recall London as the roast suckling pig capital of the world. More kidney pie or bangers and mashed. You lucky you got out of their alive. :P

Guest zipperzone

I don't recall London as the roast suckling pig capital of the world. More kidney pie or bangers and mashed. You lucky you got out of their alive. :P

I think your comment is valid for the most part. However there are a few London eating establishments that equal the best of those of Paris. The restaurant I was referring to is not where one would go for a "pub lunch". It is frequented by some pretty well-heeled cliental.