TampaYankee

GOP Senator's Planned Parenthood Claim Not Intended To Be 'Factual'

• Members

Jon Kyl Is Sorry If He Gave Anyone The Impression That The Things He Says In Public Are Factual

Jason Linkins jason@huffingtonpost.com

As you may recall, during today's lengthy Pap Smear Armageddon/Government Shutdown 2011 pageant play, Senate Minority Whip Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.) stood on the floor of the upper chamber, telling the C-Span cameras and gathered attendees that abortion was "well over 90 percent of what Planned Parenthood does."

That prompted many people to remark, "Uhm, actually, you have got those statistics just about as wrong as you possibly could."

But now, Kyl's office has walked back the statement, in perhaps the most hilarious and cowardly way possible. Let's kick this over to Alex Seitz-Wald, at ThinkProgress:

This afternoon, CNN brought on Planned Parenthood's Judy Tabar to discuss his comment. During the interview, CNN anchor Don Lemon relayed a statement from Kyl's office walking back the comment, claiming the statement was not meant to be "factual":

LEMON: We did call his office trying to ask what he was talking about there. And I just want to give it you verbatim here. It says, 'his remark was not intended to be a factual statement, but rather to illustrate that Planned Parenthood, a organization that receives millions of dollars in taxpayer funding, does subsidize abortions.'

Oh, ha ha, did you think that the things Kyl says aloud on television that go into the Congressional Record and that he attaches his name to are meant to be some sort of true facts or something? Well, the joke's on you, because sometimes, Jon Kyl just likes to spit straight verbal nonsense at you to "illustrate" things that he wishes were true, but aren't.

Once upon a time, a Jon Kyl would call this little move of his "Clintonian," so maybe we have to chalk this up to 1995 shutdown nostalgia. But noted: most of what Jon Kyl says on the Senate floor is intended to be complete horsecrap.

See original article at:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/08/jon-kyl-is-sorry-if-he-ga_n_846941.html

Guest zipperzone

Have we finally found a suitable running mate for Sarah? :whistle:

Sarah would have done well to introduce Levi to planned parenthood, way back when.....

• Members

You know, it is a federal crime to lie during an open session of congress...

This is obviously untrue. All one need do is watch any session of either body. The First Ammendment is not suspended on the floor of Congress. What often is suspended is any sort of personal integrity.

It is illegal to lie to Congress while under Oath. That applies to members too -- why it is an extremely rare event for any member to testify or be called to testify under oath.

It is also true that members of Congess have certain immunities while conducting business on the floor of either chamber. I suspect this also applies to committee meetings off the floor as well. I believe this is mentioned in the Constitution but I haven't researched that this AM. As an exmaple, I believe libel/slander laws are unenforceable for anything said on the floor. Certainly the courts would be full of cases otherwise

• Members

I believe this is mentioned in the Constitution but I haven't researched that this AM.

Constitution, Article I, Section 6, Clause 1... for any Speech or Debate in either House, [senators and representatives] shall not be questioned in any other place.

The purpose of the clause is to prevent the arrest and prosecution of unpopular legislators based on their political views.