Guest EXPAT

How much Gay Sex Makes you Gay?

Guest CharliePS

This topic is sort of in the same box with what makes one black/Jewish/Native American. Most Americans look at Obama and see a "black" man, but he could just as legitimately claim to be Caucasian, based on genetic heritage, just as Tiger Woods could claim to be Asian. And many black Americans see them both as "white-acting." I have a good friend who is a classic blonde Scandinavian, but identifies as Jewish by choice because she and her identical twin both married Jewish husbands, as well as a gay Italian-American friend from New Jersey who could easily pass for Jewish at any bar mitzvah because of his identification with Jewish culture (he even has the right accent). There is constant controversy among Native American tribes about who qualifies for membership, such as the recent brouhaha about the Cherokees' decision that the descendents of their black slaves, who have always been identified as tribal members, are no longer qualified to be members.

I have a good friend who had two male lovers over twenty years, then for twenty-five years lived in a rural area with a wife, to whom he was totally faithful and by whom he had two children, then suddenly left her and moved to Palm Springs, where he acquired another male lover, whom he has been faithful to for several years. I suppose over a lifetime one could call him bisexual, but for most of his life he has been either gay or straight in his relationships.

For the record, I identify as gay, and have since I first learned the term when I was 17.